Boat for bass....and maybe inshore salt?

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Happy to answer any questions you may have about my Klamath 15'2 Advantage S. It has a center walk-thru, which I really like. Yet, you can also easily slip on the aluminum "rowing bridge" which spans the center walk-thru between the two split center seats so you can row from the center seat if desired. It works really well, and is very easy to do.

We purchased a new Klamath 14'3 "Westcoaster" in the summer of 2020 (also from Coos Bay Marine), but decided we wanted a bit more length and beam, so we sold that one and stepped up to the 15'2. Otherwise, the "Westcoaster" was a great boat too.

Cheers,

Bryan
Again , thanks. We saw a LOT of boats at the Boat Show, tho it wasn't as large as preCOVID years.
We also talked to the guys,at Gig Harbor Boatworks about their 15 Ft. Lobster Boat. they told us they're bringing a revised version out with a sturdier transom and some other changes to handle a larger outboard.
If i didn't have so many age related ailments, and could row, i dont think I'd be talking about boats here, as we'd already be owners.

Bryan

Just Hatched
I looked closely and seriously at some of the Gig Harbor boats. Visited with them twice in Gig Harbor. Their boats are well made, for sure.

Ultimately, we decided on the Klamath Advantage S being the right fit for us.

Cheers,

Bryan

Russell

Steelhead
I have a 15’ whaler that works pretty well on the lakes bass or trout fishing and I take it out in the salt in the bay fo halibut. Good casting platform in bow and from stearin. Use downriggers for Kokanee or salmon. It fishes two people pretty well. A little tight on room but trailers and stores easily. I wouldn’t mind a bigger boat but for as much as I use it this works pretty well. Rides the chop pretty nicely but don’t take it out in the salt if it’s going to get rough.
8317722D-5A48-405D-A1AE-DA6333E1B591.jpeg
EDC7E070-4B1B-409F-96C0-9837816DBF28.jpeg

rotato

Steelhead
Lots of great info here!
I would vote for the 15 to 18 ft center or side console
i run a 17 1/2 Grady white and it does well in normal conditions from inshore neah bay and south sound
I felt that this boat was the minimum to be in the narrows on a blustery day.
one other thought
ive made four on the water rescues:
a canoe with three teenagers, one woman was well on the way to hyperthermia
a drift boat with an outboard with three large dudes and alcohol, they dumped it at the mouth of gig harbor
a pair of kayaks that the owners just bought
a larger vessel that was without power in the narrows drifting towards the bridge
i guess my point is be weary of drift boats and other small vessels in the salt
good luck and tell us what you purchase
if you ever want a test ride, just ask
nate

tatross

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I think Nick pretty much spelled out all of the plus/ minus/options and configurations of all the different types of boats out there.
I agree that there is no one boat that does everything you wish. I tried that once and it was a failure.
My experience: I've been a coast guard licensed captain for 45 years, Have thousands of hours operating small vessels up to 24 ft., Outboards , sterndrives, and jet pumps. Purchased and built some where in the neighborhood of 75 boats, more than 100 outboard motors, and maintained and serviced most all of that. Most of these were used in a rental program. And without a doubt that kind of use is the most abusive treatment you can imagine. We kept a list of what we called "high fatality parts" these were ordered in large volume on a frequent basis. I should have bought stock in a prop manufacturing business. You've all heard the phrase "drive it like you stole it" that definitely applys to motorboat rentals.

Some what unrelated, but I've also had way more than I can count boating related rescues during the 48 years I was doing this. Boaters, paddlers, capsized usually from weather conditions, resulting in making bad decisions mostly from lack of experience.
Ive also spent a bit of time in drift boats and I live on the water a short distance from the deception pass bridge. I would not even think of boating under that bridge in a drift boat with a 5 hp. motor.
Far to often we see and hear the coast guard rescue helicopter beating the sky looking for capsized boaters or the poor hapless soul who decides to make the jump.
My 2 cents.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
This is such a great thread, thanks everybody. Had a kid recently, so in lieu of being able to get out and fish I’ve been fantasizing about / researching a beginner boat for inshore salt / freshwater use.

Shame everything is so expensive these days!

headduck

Steelhead
Boats are dropping in price... and looks like it may continue. Dont get me wrong... boats and boating is never cheap... but getting better.

Arimas are good little family boats, some with nap-able cabins. Less deck space though. Built for our in shore waters. Imo...17' are quite roomy and very capable. Ideal for 2-3 people.

Reactions: NRC

Mtnwkr

Steelhead
Josh, I was in the same 'boat' about a year ago. Had a 15' smokercraft Alaskan and it didn't work too well for bass fishing. I bought a Tracker Grizzly 1754 and started modding it. Its an amazing boat for bass fishing, like walking around on a floating dock. I went with a tiller so I had more floor space. I just hung a 2022 Suzuki 30hp on it that'll run 26mph with two guys which is plenty for the size lakes around here. I covered the decks with Hydroturf, so much quieter and comfortable. I built this for freshwater use but have no doubt it would work great for near shore in the salt. I'd be happy to take you out sometime if you can come this way. I put this together and regularly see similar boats for well below your budget. 20220818_130923.jpg20220818_123301.jpg

Mtnwkr

Steelhead
Is that matting something that came with the boat or did you purchase and install it later?
I'm looking for something for my Tracker that would be cooler for the dogs than olive drab metal in the hot sun.
The decking is called Hydroturf. Its an Eva foam material with 3M backing. I installed it, still have to do the bottom area.
The recessed foot pedal tray i fabbed up at work, its nice to not have to hold the Captain Morgan pose all day.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I bought a Tracker Grizzly 1754 and started modding it.
That is a GREAT looking boat and I could absolutely see myself stepping up to something like that if I decide that I use my little 12' Durocraft enough to justify.