Boat covers

kerrys

Ignored Member
In the past I have used tarps and a variety of frames to protect my boat through winter. Tarps usually last a couple years and the frame setup I settled on was made of PVC pipe. Last year we received over two feet of snow which collapsed my PVC frame.

I am now thinking of buying a canvas boat cover that is made for my boat’s hull to protect it during non use. Has anyone used these canvas covers, how well do they work, and how long do they last?

Thanks

smc

Guppy Chow
In the past I have used tarps and a variety of frames to protect my boat through winter. Tarps usually last a couple years and the frame setup I settled on was made of PVC pipe. Last year we received over two feet of snow which collapsed my PVC frame.

I am now thinking of buying a canvas boat cover that is made for my boat’s hull to protect it during non use. Has anyone used these canvas covers, how well do they work, and how long do they last?

Thanks
Maybe if you made a pvc a frame, like this picture. Snow should slide right off?

Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 9.55.00 AM.png

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I went through a tarp and frame process for years. I was never really satisfied. So when we decided to build a new house, I also designed and built a 3-car garage. We've yet to park a car in the garage. But I have a dandy boat garage and workshop! I'm finally satisfied that I have my solution for boat storage.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I'm going to be making a PVC frame here at some point. I suspect I'll just have to knock the snow off a few times if we start to get one of those (fairly rare) winter storms.

kerrys

Ignored Member
Thanks for the replies.
Knocking off the snow works ok until you get over a couple feet of wet snow during the night and in the morning everything has collapsed. My neighbor’s awning fell under the weight of the snow. We lost about 25 feet of chain link fence that was overgrown with ivy. Ivy collected so much snow the weight bent two inch metal fence posts ninety degrees.

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
Thanks for the replies.
Knocking off the snow works ok until you get over a couple feet of wet snow during the night and in the morning everything has collapsed. My neighbor’s awning fell under the weight of the snow. We lost about 25 feet of chain link fence that was overgrown with ivy. Ivy collected so much snow the weight bent two inch metal fence posts ninety degrees.
Maybe something like a cord connected snow melting kit to lay over the cover?

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have 2" and 2 1/2" pipe pcs 10ft sticks.16643995479173583057305798053388.jpg if anybody wants them. Located at my job site near husky stadium. I have more than wants in the picture.
Its all free.