Bluegill bash

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
20220621_201459.jpg
20220619_143234.jpg

IMG_7032.jpg
I took my wife, daughter and some of the grandkids out to the local kids bluegill tournament on Saturday.
The fishing was less than stellar but 4 kids fishing bobber and worm combos in the lily pads kept this old fart hopping.😄
One of the kids placed 3rd in his age group and won a new fishing rod and reel
among other stuff. All the kids go away with swag ang and the bass club provides pop and hot dogs at no cost.
It is a tradition in my family. I was the tournament director back in the 90's and took my kids every year. Now I'm taking their kids.
Borderline bass club puts it on the Saturday of Fathers day weekend every year.

Last edited:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
You know, thinking about it, I've not done super well with bluegill out there in recent years myself. Do you think it's gotten worse?

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
You know, thinking about it, I've not done super well with bluegill out there in recent years myself. Do you think it's gotten worse?
The bluegill tournament was began on the premise that if you cull the over population the remaining fish will get bigger.
It may work in some places but that lake is so loaded with aquatic vegetation I think there's too many hiding places.
I think it's not as good as it use to be.
There were 8 to 9 inch 'gills in there years ago plus tons of smaller ones. Kids would catch as many as 40 or more in 2 hours fishing.
It's not like that any more in my opinion.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
The bluegill tournament was began on the premise that if you cull the over population the remaining fish will get bigger.
It may work in some places but that lake is so loaded with aquatic vegetation I think there's too many hiding places.
There were 8 to 9 inch 'gills in there years ago plus tons of smaller ones. Kids would catch as many as 40 or more in 2 hours fishing.
Yeah, that's kinda my take on it as well. So goes life. Would be cool if we had some bigger gill spots around the county.

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
Man what a shame. 10 years ago when I was living up there it was my go to spot when I wanted to spend the afternoon roping chunky bluegill on the 1wt. I remember catching a few that were pushing 10".