Blobs

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Tried a Blob pattern recently and was pleasantly surprised with its effectiveness. First time lve used one.. Went through my old corkie supplies, took some yarn, chopped it up and made dubbing loops to use as the body. They were chartreuse with a florescent red butt and a black bead.
So now I want to go buy the proper materials to make them nice. My question to you all is, what are the best colors for Blobs on the Westside low lakes. Brian Chen says pink or salmon for B.C. but what about here?

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
There's no such thing as a bad color. What's more, years back I tried to find something they wouldn't hit when stripped through the water. Long as the size and weight were reasonable they'd hit anything. I went whole days at Pass and others using a piece of old clothing, or duct tape, or part of a sponge tied to a hook and did just as well as using a proper fly. If that tells you anything.

If you get a chance to observe fish (preferably trout) in a group, can be lake or stream - instead of trying to catch them, just sit and watch how they behave. Flick a few tiny chunks of bread or even a sponge onto the surface and just watch a while. You'll learn 10 fold over chasing them with a hook.

dbk

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Its anacedotal only but size/color for blobs seems more important when fishing them static vs. stripped/retrieved.. my experience fishing blobs is extensive under an indicator but more limited when presenting blobs to fish with some type of retrieve... that being said colors such as Apricot, blushing sunburst (orange/yellow mix) , various shades of pink and orange, peach, hot yellow, etc.. are all good.. really depends on what fritz material you are tying with.. I base my color selections on the material as they are not all the same... some cool blob materials though from FNF and CBC are out there for purchase...

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Its anacedotal only but size/color for blobs seems more important when fishing them static vs. stripped/retrieved.. my experience fishing blobs is extensive under an indicator but more limited when presenting blobs to fish with some type of retrieve... that being said colors such as Apricot, blushing sunburst (orange/yellow mix) , various shades of pink and orange, peach, hot yellow, etc.. are all good.. really depends on what fritz material you are tying with.. I base my color selections on the material as they are not all the same... some cool blob materials though from FNF and CBC are out there for purchase...
Based on a tip you shared with me several years ago, I've experimented with stripping blobs and at times must have had the right color fly, strip rate and cooperative trout. More often than not, I fish a blob under an indicator and often twitch my rod tip to impart movement to the blob which does seem contrary to what I'd expect from a blob that's supposed to imitate daphnia(?). I fish the colors you list.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Those blob flies look like a "Ray Charles". They are tied on a small hook here in Montana. I have a few of them. Tied in pink. But I haven't wet a line in over a year. I'm afraid If I wet a line sooner or later that my rod and reel will just fall apart from the joy of being fished. Ugh,

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Based on a tip you shared with me several years ago, I've experimented with stripping blobs and at times must have had the right color fly, strip rate and cooperative trout. More often than not, I fish a blob under an indicator and often twitch my rod tip to impart movement to the blob which does seem contrary to what I'd expect from a blob that's supposed to imitate daphnia(?). I fish the colors you list.
When you strip blobs, do you use sinking line and the countdown method? How deep, on the bottom? Fast, slow? Hopefully I'm not getting too far into your personal space. LOL...

Last edited:

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
When you strip blobs, do you use sinking line and the countdown method? How deep, on the bottom? Fast, slow? Hopefully I'm not getting too far into your personal space. LOL...
Based on my limited blob stripping, or even blob fishing it's always about depth. Just like any other lake tactic, you have to find what depth the fish like to be that day.
As far as stripping, the days I've done well on blob patterns, or more likely patterns that have the same colors as blobs, the retrieve is not super important. If they are on them that day they will "chase" them. My best day was a troll faster than I could do with my fins. I was relaxed rowing in my Commander with a type 3 so I wasn't very deep. And that was in fairly deep water. Which is pretty opposite of what usually catches fish on a blob.
I hadn't tried a blob under a bobber that day. I'm sure it would have been bonkers based on my trolling success.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Sorry, didn’t see your post. I don’t have a lot of experience stripping blobs. The couple times I’ve done it I was probably in the trout’s zone? Full sink, countdown is how I did it. I think more often the cast, countdown and strip doesn’t work for me. I much prefer bobber fishing blobs using a twitch retrieve.

dbk

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
At what kind of depth range did you find this colour to be effective. I tend to hang blobs on a sunk line in 30-40 feet and a brighter orange seems to be best for me. Just curious.
I don't fish much beyond 20-25' and mostly fish water 15" or less.. this pattern has worked well in 15' or less and I don't recall fishing it at depths beyond that this past year..

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Could always start with a full sink line with hemostats clipped to the hook bend to find the bottom. Reel in the slack, strip back line to retrieve the hemostats, cast line back out and very very slowly retrieve line until a hook up. Now you found the depth fish are holding at. Reel in the slack before fighting the fish to later determine the proper depth. If shallow enough, then switch to floating line and indicator. If not, stick with sinking line. A second rod would be handy for a quicker switch out.

Having been fly fishing a range of waters, fresh/salt, still/moving, and around a variety of fly fisherman for many years now without ever having
heard of a ‘blob’ fly, I’m beginning to wonder if this entire thread is some sort of AI virus that has infected the forum.