Bill McMillan's Winter Steelhead flies

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.37.45 AM.png
A have a well thumbed copy of Bill Mcmillan's Dry line steelheading. Here are his two winter fly patterns. A Winters Hope tied on a 5/0 Partridge M and a Paintbrush tied on Mustad 7970 Hooks. The Winters Hope is meant to be fished on the swing. I've caught several steelhead on size 1/0 or 2/0 winters hope off a sink tip. Trey Combs developed a marabou version of the Winters Hope which I've had success with as well. One of these days I'll take a winter fish on a floating line and a 5/0 winters hope.
Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.38.23 AM.png

The Paintbrush is meant to be fished upstream dead drift upstream off a floating line. No bobbers please!

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.38.52 AM.png

I don't think Partridge is making either model of hook any more but you can find them from time to time on ebay.

View attachment 724
A have a well thumbed copy of Bill Mcmillan's Dry line steelheading. Here are his two winter fly patterns. A Winters Hope tied on a 5/0 Partridge M and a Paintbrush tied on Mustad 7970 Hooks. The Winters Hope is meant to be fished on the swing. I've caught several steelhead on size 1/0 or 2/0 winters hope off a sink tip. Trey Combs developed a marabou version of the Winters Hope which I've had success with as well. One of these days I'll take a winter fish on a floating line and a 5/0 winters hope.
View attachment 725

The Paintbrush is meant to be fished upstream dead drift upstream off a floating line. No bobbers please!

View attachment 726

I don't think Partridge is making either model of hook any more but you can find them from time to time on ebay.
Your Winters Hope are beautiful.