Big Fish Nymphing [Poll] Mono vs. Fluoro

Mono or Fluoro for nymphing big fish on a fly rod?

• Monofilament

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Fluorocarbon

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters

Divad

Whitefish
Thank you @G_Smolt going to grab some to compare to the Seagur stuff.

Big thanks to everyone, I knew my line choice(s) could use an overhaul based on all this wisdom.

Mingo

Life of the Party
Super FC Sniper and FC Leader. Strong af, great abrasion resistance, one of the best (if not THE best) in terms of knot strength, and with a refractive index very close to that of water, it doesn't cast a shadow. My go-to for big trout (salty and resident), when I'm swingin', nymphin', or gettin' dirty with the bead box.
exactly. I've taken bones and GTs that ran me right through hellish fields of coral heads and the Sniper held up long enough to land the fish despite being nearly shredded. I don't win every battle but it gives me a lot of confidence in those situations. I use it in 30 lb for deep jigging from my boat too. It's tough stuff.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Haven't heard about Sunline. Pretty much all I use for leader is Seguar or P-line fluoro.

Divad

Whitefish
10lb Maxima .012 diam inch vs 20lb YoZuri 100% SuperFluoro .015 diam inch

Sink test: Maxima on the left, Fluorocarbon on the right

Awesome! Thank you that is helpful for sure. At some point the weight of the fly negates most of that buoyancy.

I’d be interested to repeat the test with a very small weight attached to one end. I’ll fill two with beer first today to motivate an empty glass…

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Awesome! Thank you that is helpful for sure. At some point the weight of the fly negates most of that buoyancy.

I’d be interested to repeat the test with a very small weight attached to one end. I’ll fill two with beer first today to motivate an empty glass…

I know that for me personally, I nearly always fish flies without additional weight added.

I like where your head's at for testing for repeatability.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
There has been a lot of discussion about nylon vs. fluorocarbon tippet.

I primarily fish wet flies in small streams and rarely encounter fish over 14" so I can't speak to "Big Fish" Nymphing and won't cloud the poll with my opinion. However I do fish for SRC off SW beaches. The abrasion resistance would seem to hold an advantage for retrieving a swinging fly with a sinking line over beach cobble.
This test does show that fluoro is denser than mono.
10lb Maxima .012 diam inch vs 20lb YoZuri 100% SuperFluoro .015 diam inch

Sink test: Maxima on the left, Fluorocarbon on the right

However nylon absorbs more water than fluoro, increasing its sink rate and can lose a greater percentage of its strength during use.
The increased density provides more sensitivity that I like for fishing wet flies.

I guess it's just me, because I know you folks know what's up, but flouro just didn't work for me. My first knot was always fine, but once I'd fished it I could never get another knot to hold. Tie in a new fresh strand, no problem. Most of my experience was with rio and cortland.

I've never had modern fluoro knot failures with an improved clinch at the fly on the short tied fluoro 20#/8# leader/tippet I use with an intermediate line for saltwater. I had have knot failures with a 5 to 6-turn improved clinch at a tippet ring (no curly-cue and no knot remnant left on the ring) with 5x & smaller; so much so that I started experimenting with a Pitzen knot at the fly. I've still had breakage at the ring so I will start passing the tippet through the ring twice. If I still have the same issue I will try the Pitzen at the ring. If I still have problems I may try perfection loop leader to tippet connections.

Divad

Whitefish
That Sunline Sniper is some darn good stuff. This eve I was able to bully a fish early in its fight up a steep rock deposit after a couple failed attempts first.

Line was rock chafed in spots but still held. At 200yds of 14lb for $22 it’s a great value.

I tried the Seaguar Blue Label but I should of gone with the STS, a big fish wrapped itself up and shredded the Blue from scale abrasion.

A5299EAD-6D15-44C5-BD64-C114ED7F388A.jpeg
Not a chromer this round but it’ll smoke the same 🤙