Big Fish Nymphing [Poll] Mono vs. Fluoro

Mono or Fluoro for nymphing big fish on a fly rod?

• Monofilament

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Fluorocarbon

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters

Divad

Whitefish
I’m on 3 lost steelhead in a row and I’m starting to question the meaning to life. But really, time for an optimization overhaul. Should I merge over to big game nymphing with monofilament instead?

The nymphs I use are all 2-4 grams so I don’t think the mono will effect it much. Been using 1x fluoro.

C7FD1CD9-CCE8-47CF-BE2B-594315E46B92.jpeg

The big one on the bottom broke off at fly, another one spit it and another break. I cried a little that day.

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Why 1x for steelhead? Seems light

Divad

Whitefish
Why 1x for steelhead? Seems light
It’s 12lb 1x to be fair, but mainly cause it’s clear water. I’ve never used the Rio stuff until this year, also this years fish are larger.

Those are 10lb fish with a couple 12s and 14s.

Chucker

Steelhead
It’s probably not the line, it’s the knots. I have used rio fluorocarbon in the past, and it has worked fine, but getting all of the potential strength out of it needed some messing about with and practicing knots. Pitzen knot works for me for tying on flies, and generally doesn’t break before something else gives.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Flouro. It’s the knots my friend. Or it’s shitty line. One or the other. I like 10# seaguar at minimum for steelhead or salmon but prefer 12# or 15# if I can get away with it.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I'll be the odd duck, I have nothing but trouble with flouro. Plain old SA tippet or ultragreen for me.

skyrise

Steelhead
seaguar for me also. But do check your line after purchase and occasionally at home and definitely at stream side. I run the line through my hand checking for any defects. Your forgiveness is higher I’d say with ultra green than it is with fluorocarbon. Check your knots after tying them if they look wimpy re-tie ‘em. In the old days we would use 8lb maxima for summer. You get more bites but also loose more fish that’s just the game. Also you can use heavier leader in the faster riffle water than the pools. Just my useless 2 cents.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Only 3 in a row? And that has you questioning the meaning of life? Wait 'til you lose 11 in a row. It happens.

If you're breaking them off and not just having them come unhooked, it's most likely the knots. Just for reference, in 50 years of steelhead fishing, I've never broken off a steelhead in WA on 8 # Maxima. These are summer and winter steelhead from 4 pounds to 26 pounds. Maxima is seriously good leader material, but even it is not immune to crummy knots, although I landed two steelhead with a wind knot in my 8# Maxima tippet. I did try flouro and broke off a good sized steelhead once on 17# RIO flouro, after which I threw that leader material into the trash.

Divad

Whitefish
Only 3 in a row? And that has you questioning the meaning of life? Wait 'til you lose 11 in a row. It happens.

If you're breaking them off and not just having them come unhooked, it's most likely the knots. Just for reference, in 50 years of steelhead fishing, I've never broken off a steelhead in WA on 8 # Maxima. These are summer and winter steelhead from 4 pounds to 26 pounds. Maxima is seriously good leader material, but even it is not immune to crummy knots, although I landed two steelhead with a wind knot in my 8# Maxima tippet. I did try flouro and broke off a good sized steelhead once on 17# RIO flouro, after which I threw that leader material into the trash.
I’m at 4 in a row now, it’s the knot at the fly every failure. I think I could of gotten bad line changed knots now to 3 types and all fail.

With Clarkman, Creatchr and Skyrise all on Seagur I’m going to grab some on the way home.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’m at 4 in a row now, it’s the knot at the fly every failure. I think I could of gotten bad line changed knots now to 3 types and all fail.

With Clarkman, Creatchr and Skyrise all on Seagur I’m going to grab some on the way home.
Ever heard of or tried Maxima? People who use Maxima seldom report break offs. Unless they tried 8# on the Thompson, where 18# steelhead back up 20 or 30 feet to get a running start at your swinging fly and smash it! That has been known to cause break offs on the strike, but upping my tippet to 10# Maxima cured that.

Divad

Whitefish
Ever heard of or tried Maxima? People who use Maxima seldom report break offs. Unless they tried 8# on the Thompson, where 18# steelhead back up 20 or 30 feet to get a running start at your swinging fly and smash it! That has been known to cause break offs on the strike, but upping my tippet to 10# Maxima cured that.
I have LOTS of Maxima, use it for swing and conventional. I’ve always been a proponent of fluoro when nymphing, when I was guiding for trout it was the go-to for such situations.

These fish will move out of the way of a leader though so I try to go stealthy.

My takeaway, try a different Fluoro and maybe think about mono more when not trying to get so deep.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I think most every fish I took between '75 and 1990 was on 8# Maxima, some 10#. Most all on S rivers north of seattle. Here is a heavy sz 8 nymph on 8#.

Attachments

• conehead8#.jpg
    conehead8#.jpg
    788.7 KB · Views: 22

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
It definitely should be noted to take care with your knots with fluoro. Wet them and tighten slowly. Plus use the one or two knots you're most comfortable with.

That said, as @Salmo_g said, maxima is tried and true & bombproof. I just happen to prefer fluoro personally.

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
It definitely should be noted to take care with your knots with fluoro.
X2

Mono is forgiving as you tighten the knot. Fluoro is not. Plenty of youtube videos on correct tightening technique.

I choose fluoro for all subsurface techniques because I feel it gets me deeper faster, giving a more direct connection to my fly with less leader drift.