Best Wader Repair Technique

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
It seems the respones above cover more experience at repairs than I have but what does the manufacturer of your waders recommend? Good luck!
Pat,
Simms recommends Aqua Seal. On the inside not the outside of the fabric.
For pinhole leaks spray the area on the inside of waders with rubbing alcohol where the suspected leak is. The leak will show up as a spot darker than the fabric. Smear a light dab of Aqua Seal over the spot, voilà leak fixed.

Shad

Life of the Party
Stupid waders. Pinholes and tears are rarely my problem, but yeah, Aquaseal.

Anyone here know how to repair stocking feet that are worn through to the point where your waders effectively become a wetsuit? Am I the only person who has this problem, usually within 2 years of steady use? I learned to wear good socks, and that has helped, but it hasn't solved the problem....

The more I think about the Flex Seal suggestion mentioned earlier, the more I think I might want to try one of those products. Can't make things worse, right? The question is which product might be effective without rendering my waders uncomfortable to walk in. I'm thinking the tape would be the easiest to use, but I wonder if it might be uncomfortable. The spray-on stuff would probably plug the holes well, but I imagine that could leave an uneven or otherwise uncomfortable mass of stuff under my foot. Any Flex Seal aficionados out there with suggestions? Do I need to invoke the inventor?

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Anyone here know how to repair stocking feet that are worn through to the point where your waders effectively become a wetsuit?
I can't help with a fix but I can help with prevention. Buy fleece socks big enough to pull over your neoprene stocking foots and let them take the wear and tear. Also rinse your boots with the garden hose after every trip if you can.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I can't help with a fix but I can help with prevention. Buy fleece socks big enough to pull over your neoprene stocking foots and let them take the wear and tear. Also rinse your boots with the garden hose after every trip if you can.
After a days fishing, I ALWAYS rinse my boots when I get home, something that's not always possible on a road or destination trip. I wonder, @Shad, are you using gravel guards and what's the condition of the inside of your boots? Good luck!

Shad

Life of the Party
After a days fishing, I ALWAYS rinse my boots when I get home, something that's not always possible on a road or destination trip. I wonder, @Shad, are you using gravel guards and what's the condition of the inside of your boots? Good luck!
That's the same question the guy at Redington asked me when my first set failed after about 8 months. I have since learned to wear good socks (I wore a lot of crappy, cotton socks in the past, because I figured there was no point in wearing good socks in waders you expect to leak eventually, but I figured out the worn, exposed threads were rubbing on my stockingfeet and causing them to wear out sooner).

I do use gravel guards, and I do try to make sure there's nothing gritty in my boots before I put them on, but I haven't taken the step of rinsing them thoroughly after each use, which sounds like a great idea to me.

I love @_WW_ 's idea of wearing a big, loose pair of socks over the stockingfeet to provide a grit buffer. I will start my search for some such socks....

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Just to be devil's advocate, I've also used Seam Grip for very satisfactory wader repairs. It used to be a little cheaper than Aquaseal, but I see now that it comes from the Gear Aid brand just like Aquaseal now does, and it comes in a 1 oz. tube as opposed to Aquaseal's 0.75 oz, and they are both urethane. I don't know what's different about the formulations.

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Pat,
Simms recommends Aqua Seal. On the inside not the outside of the fabric.
For pinhole leaks spray the area on the inside of waders with rubbing alcohol where the suspected leak is. The leak will show up as a spot darker than the fabric. Smear a light dab of Aqua Seal over the spot, voilà leak fixed.
I have never gotten any results using the rubbing alcohol spray method, and I've really worked at it!

Bagman

Steelhead
That's the same question the guy at Redington asked me when my first set failed after about 8 months. I have since learned to wear good socks (I wore a lot of crappy, cotton socks in the past, because I figured there was no point in wearing good socks in waders you expect to leak eventually, but I figured out the worn, exposed threads were rubbing on my stockingfeet and causing them to wear out sooner).

I do use gravel guards, and I do try to make sure there's nothing gritty in my boots before I put them on, but I haven't taken the step of rinsing them thoroughly after each use, which sounds like a great idea to me.

I love @_WW_ 's idea of wearing a big, loose pair of socks over the stockingfeet to provide a grit buffer. I will start my search for some such socks....
I don’t know where you live but my loving wife bought me some great socks but for the most part I don’t use them. If your close I will give you a pair that has been setting in my sock draw for at least 20 years. Let me know.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
WW,
Been wearing socks over my wader stocking feet for about 35 plus years.
I truly believe they make a massively huge difference in extending the life of your waders. I just huge large cotton tube socks.

Be safe all.

Bob

skyrise

Steelhead
Think I am going to try High-N-Dry waders next. Like that they were born out of a commercial use need and have a good reputation and the price is right plus a handy repair kit cause they know you are going to get a leak sometime.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
WW,
Been wearing socks over my wader stocking feet for about 35 plus years.
I truly believe they make a massively huge difference in extending the life of your waders. I just huge large cotton tube socks.

Be safe all.

Bob
Yea...I started about 30 years ago. First because I was fishing some spots which required standing in swirling sandy bottomed back eddies and started to notice a little wear in the feat of my Bare waders from all the sand infiltration. A pair of fleece socks should last several years. They don't stretch, can be wrung practically dry like all fleece and as a bonus your feet slide into your boots like they've been greased.

I don't do it every time any more...it just depends on what I'm doing that day. I still have 'em and they are always at the ready and always in the tub when I'm doing road trips.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
WW,

I may ditch the cotton tubes socks and give fleece socks a try. Thanks for the idea.

Have a good weekend.

Bob