Beginner trying to find a spot

cgswjs

Freshly Spawned
Hi guys,
My name is Ian. I am a beginner and I am struggling to find a spot for fly fishing. Is there any creek or river spot good for trout that’s close to Portland? Thanks guys.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Hi guys,
My name is Ian. I am a beginner and I am struggling to find a spot for fly fishing. Is there any creek or river spot good for trout that’s close to Portland? Thanks guys.
Trout close to Portland is a very tough gig. I highly recommend visiting Portland Fly Shop or Northwest Fly Fishing outfitters for some pointers.

I live in the Portland area and the only things I target on fly rods in the metro area are carp, smallmouth and shad.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Welcome to the forum. I'm too far away to help with a place, but agree with the others that a visit to the fly shop would be worthwhile. I'm sure they can direct you to a few places and recommend a few flies for you to get a good start.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Agree on checking with a fly shop. Nearest good trout water is probably the Deschutes near Mecca or maupin. There is some decent stillwater up on Mt hood, if you have a float tube.

Feel free to ask more questions, and welcome to the forum.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Just to echo everything above, A quick visit to one of the local shops and buy a few flies, ask a few questions and you'll get enough information to get you headed in the right direction. As Evan noted, if you're willing to chase fish other than trout, you'll have far more options closer to the metro area, although having a kayak/canoe/other boat helps with many of those fisheries. The folks over at the Orvis shop will give you some good information as well.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
If I was you, I would move to Montana or Idaho. Any water running down hill with have willing trout in them. But you probably wouldn't like it's winters. They are damn near 9 months long. They are cold and it snows a lot. It's the minus temps that get you down. Last winter we had a few days minus 26 degrees. But if you can find some open water it is probably open as a lot of water doesn't close. Most rivers in the middle of winter are ice covered. It's not for the faint of heart.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
If your ok with 6" trout, just about any coastal stream will work. Also get one of these and start exploring road crossings.
View attachment 30297
Same with the streams up on Mt hood, but with high temps and low water I wouldn’t point anyone that direction right now. When the rain starts, the sea run cutts will be on the coastal streams

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Just to echo everything above, A quick visit to one of the local shops and buy a few flies, ask a few questions and you'll get enough information to get you headed in the right direction. As Evan noted, if you're willing to chase fish other than trout, you'll have far more options closer to the metro area, although having a kayak/canoe/other boat helps with many of those fisheries. The folks over at the Orvis shop will give you some good information as well.
You left out your most important advice..

If it looks fishy…fish the F*%$ out of it…!!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
A few flies if you are new at fly fishing. :p :p
and maybe a little bit of pride...Hell, I've been fly fishing for a fair bit and I'm sure a few folks along a walkway were chuckling at my commentary this morning. I was merely having a cordial conversation with the fish....that I knew were there and not catching.

then again, you've got a few years on me.... :LOL:

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
and maybe a little bit of pride...Hell, I've been fly fishing for a fair bit and I'm sure a few folks along a walkway were chuckling at my commentary this morning. I was merely having a cordial conversation with the fish....that I knew were there and not catching.

then again, you've got a few years on me.... :LOL:
I've been throwing flies at the fish since 1957. I was pretty good at tying wind knots when I first started. Not so much anymore. But you seem to lose flies no matter how hard you try not to.. Some days I can fish with one fly all day and in the next instant you may lose that fly to the fish gods.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Welcome aboard mate.
Trout near Portland, Or?
I don't know s--t about trout fishing near Portland, Or.
I think yer gonna have to drive a bit to get to some trout water.
The coastal rivers, tidal water for sea run cutts and coastal cutts.
Both are my favorite.
It seems to me there is some tribs to the Columbia that head up into the mountains just to the east of Portland.
Get out the map and do some studying

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
If I was you, I would move to Montana or Idaho. Any water running down hill with have willing trout in them. But you probably wouldn't like it's winters. They are damn near 9 months long. They are cold and it snows a lot. It's the minus temps that get you down. Last winter we had a few days minus 26 degrees. But if you can find some open water it is probably open as a lot of water doesn't close. Most rivers in the middle of winter are ice covered. It's not for the faint of heart
This makes Montana sound fun, at least for three months a year.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Up in the national forest, you'll find small trout in most of the streams. As a beginner this is how I started. These fish are willing players, and you will catch some fish while you build your skills. As others have said the water is a bit warm right now, but it won't be long before it's cooling off enough to fish. The lakes up there also have fish, if you have some kind of float that is a good bet. Some lakes are fishable from shore, but you will soon be wishing you had a boat or a tube of some sort.

Shad

Life of the Party
You guys notice "Ian" hasn't been back since the original post 2 weeks ago? You've all done a great job of avoiding hotspotting, but it's probably time to quit posting anything useful in this thread....

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Well...I've never been to Portland, and probably never will be, but now know that I won't be planning any trout trips there. :)