Beef Chili

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
This is the way I do it, too. Except a couple shortcuts—microwaving the chilies for a minute or two seems to work just fine. Also, I haven’t found any need for a thick chili-soaking liquid purée. Thick or thin, it’s all going in the chili pot and isn’t really enough to mess up the final consistency of the chili.
I like it thicker because it gets cooked off a second time during deglazing. If it is too thin, there is too much water to allow the chili puree to fry off a little. I think that deepens and rounds out the flavor, but it could be placebo effect 🤷‍♂️

I make chili in a 6 quart enameled cast iron Dutch oven so I just toast the chiles in that dry as it heats up to brown the meat. I don't see anything wrong with going with chef mike, but I don't see it saving me much time. Plus I stop toasting them by smell and that's easier on the stovetop.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I like it thicker because it gets cooked off a second time during deglazing. If it is too thin, there is too much water to allow the chili puree to fry off a little. I think that deepens and rounds out the flavor, but it could be placebo effect 🤷‍♂️

I make chili in a 6 quart enameled cast iron Dutch oven so I just toast the chiles in that dry as it heats up to brown the meat. I don't see anything wrong with going with chef mike, but I don't see it saving me much time. Plus I stop toasting them by smell and that's easier on the stovetop.
I see. Yeah who knows. My pot has already been pretty well deglazed by then by onion and garlic.
Try adding a couple squares of Mexican baking chocolate to your chili. Trust me.

Bagman

Steelhead
Carrol Shelby Chili Fixin's from the store in a great start. it's in a small box within all the packages of mixes.
I use equal amounts of ground beef with something like new york steak, sirloin or london broil.
I cook it for at least 1.5 hours to make the beef tender.

great starter kit.
I’m also a big fan of CarrolnShelby Chilli Fixin.. I found out the hard way to not use the whole bag of spice in less you’re making a big ass pot of chili. Don’t let it get too oily by adding too much fat on the meat. I like adding some Fredo Lays corn chips in the bottom of the bowl. Let us know how it turns out.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Chuck is good. No hamburger.... ever. You want the fat to render into the meat and tenderize it not render into your chili making a greasy mess. Any meat you think would make a good pot roast or stew is good. Chili spices are pretty straightforward, I would just go to cash and carry (chefs store now) and get you some paprika, cumin, and you probably have the rest already. You can't afford these spices at Freddie's in the amounts they get used at my house.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Stemmed, seeded, and Toasted chiles simmering in beef broth
F16178C7-EB75-43CF-A22B-D037FA0295BC.jpeg
After the stick blender
923EE0CA-B065-4F6F-9AC9-0AAFA0F67177.jpeg

Through the strainer
423D04EB-BAF8-4798-8473-827D41DDF04D.jpeg

The mixture about to go into a slow oven for a couple few hours. Beef chunks, onions, garlic, a little tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, salt, cumin, coriander, bay leaf, and of course, the chiles.
9F8CCEEB-B2C7-4A41-9B51-F1E755FC046A.jpeg

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Final results
A0ECC94C-21C5-4654-BDFC-B263B144B02A.jpeg

I ended up going 4 hours in a 250F oven with the lid off. I added 2 cups of boiling water through the cooking time. This stuff is really good! I chose chiles (pasilla, negro, and guajillo) that aren’t hot so I ended up with a deep, dark, earthy beef stew. Served with fresh chopped green onions, lime wedges and tortillas. Having never worked from whole dried chiles it’s an interesting process. Will make again! And bring on fishing trips.Thanks @Gary Knowels for the ideas!

Last edited:

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Final results
View attachment 52992

I ended up going 4 hours in a 250F oven with the lid off. I added 2 cups of boiling water through the cooking time. This stuff is really good! I chose chiles (pasilla, negro, and guajillo) that aren’t hot so I ended up with a deep, dark, earthy beef stew. Served with fresh chopped green onions, lime wedges and tortillas. Having never worked from whole dried chiles it’s an interesting process. Will make again! And bring on fishing trips.Thanks @Gary Knowels for the ideas!
You went Texas style (y)

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Final results
View attachment 52992

That looks great! It's certainly more work and more dirty dishes, but the product is so much better. Add some Chipotles for the smokiness if you can tolerate adding some heat.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
That looks great! It's certainly more work and more dirty dishes, but the product is so much better. Add some Chipotles for the smokiness if you can tolerate adding some heat.
Honestly I’ve spent more time and made bigger messes for a less satisfying result. I used two pots, a couple prep bowls, and a cutting board. Will be doing this again!

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin