BC trip (7 days and lots of pics!)

The trip started like many others with a pile of gear in the garage and a final check over:IMG_20220812_051458_01.jpgRod arrived(@troutpocket) and we loaded up and hit the road to join @Irafly and @Yardus Maximus for Ira's 50th Birthday.

The first lake we hit was Posby Lake. It's a fun pay to play lake with a really nice host(Shane) and location.

We had one heck of lightning show and had to seek shelter the first evening! IMG_20220820_164938_450.jpgRod with a nice fish:20220813_094932.jpgIt really is a beautiful location: 20220813_074241.jpgIra had one too many rootbeers:🤣20220813_172150.jpgA little olive fly that worked throughout trip for me:20220813_182042.jpgThen we loaded up and headed to Meadow Lakes for 4 full days of fishing!20220814_120819.jpgIt ended up being a good thing I bought the truck because the roads were pretty ruff into some of the lakes due to logging slash. Thankfully the jeep did well.

Ira and Rod:20220814_124722.jpgHooked up!20220814_131013.jpgIt's hard to truely capture the beauty of this region but each lake was spectacular:20220814_133810.jpg
More to come!

Yardus

Secret Squirrel
Meadow Lake fish camp was a great place for home base on this trip. The Staff was awesome and truly good people. I would recommend this lodge to anyone looking for a place to stay in the area. The grins were plastered on our faces throughout, the fish were hard fighting and plentiful even in the heat of August. The smoked trout was as good as I have ever had.
BC8.jpg
BC21.jpg
BC25.jpg
BC24.jpg

Ron McNeal

Sound, Light, and Frequency...............
Forum Supporter
Meadow Lake fish camp was a great place for home base on this trip. The Staff was awesome and truly good people. I would recommend this lodge to anyone looking for a place to stay in the area. The grins were plastered on our faces throughout, the fish were hard fighting and plentiful even in the heat of August. The smoked trout was as good as I have ever had.
View attachment 28756
View attachment 28757
View attachment 28758
View attachment 28759
That 1st shot looks like Heidi. Hope you got over to Heather; had a fantastic day there in June w/ a very well-worn & straggly peacock Carey. 🙂

BDD

Steelhead
Kudos to Meadow Fish Camp for showing our boys a great time. If any of you have ever opened a map of the Caribou/Chilcotin/Kamloops area or went to gofishbc.com and checked the stocking reports, there are literally hundreds and hundreds of lakes that either get natural spawning recruitment or stocked regularly to make for some great fishing. While it is convenient to have a great recommendation for a starting point from our own PNWFF for a base camp to setup up fishing options, don't feel like Meadow is the only place to go. While the smoked fish is a great feature (never seen the heads attached for smoking) another option that can be really fun and satisfying is doing your own research, investigation and explore new waters that challenge your angling skill. Or just go to Meadow!

I think most would agree that even in high altitude BC, mid August is not considered prime stillwater time. With as much combined stillwater expertise as that original group has, I would be very interested in seeing what they thought of the area earlier in the year, during the more traditional peak stillwater period, just for comparison. You guys should plan another trip right after school gets out in 2023 and report back.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Kudos to Meadow Fish Camp for showing our boys a great time. If any of you have ever opened a map of the Caribou/Chilcotin/Kamloops area or went to gofishbc.com and checked the stocking reports, there are literally hundreds and hundreds of lakes that either get natural spawning recruitment or stocked regularly to make for some great fishing. While it is convenient to have a great recommendation for a starting point from our own PNWFF for a base camp to setup up fishing options, don't feel like Meadow is the only place to go. While the smoked fish is a great feature (never seen the heads attached for smoking) another option that can be really fun and satisfying is doing your own research, investigation and explore new waters that challenge your angling skill. Or just go to Meadow!

I think most would agree that even in high altitude BC, mid August is not considered prime stillwater time. With as much combined stillwater expertise as that original group has, I would be very interested in seeing what they thought of the area earlier in the year, during the more traditional peak stillwater period, just for comparison. You guys should plan another trip right after school gets out in 2023 and report back.
I made my first trip to BC close to 20 years ago (yes, what took me so long?), the two guys I was travelling with had been up many times in the past but were new to the Caribou/Kamloops area so it was like the three of us were newbies to BC stillwaters. We were staying at Milehighresort.com, when checking in we talked with the owners about flyfishing opportunities. Bobby marked up a map and described access to some of the lakes he was familiar with. We "discovered" a now defucnt fly shop in Logan Lake, bought a lot of flies and got much better intel. We caught fish that first year (Leighton was really good - but it can be very crowded) and spent a lot of time missing the small dirt roads off these roads looking for those lakes.

The next year the first thing we did was head to the fly shop. Keith hired the shop manager as a guide. Bruce's guiding style was interesting, he fished harder than we did but he got us to lakes that we otherwise would have spent countless hours looking for. "Investing" in the guide was money well spent.

@BDD as you well know, lakes cycle. "Secret" lakes (no such think anymore) become unsecret. Access routes, due to logging (pine beetle forest kils) has really affected access to a couple lakes.

The Fab Four's Posby experience was interesting to me as Herb, Keith and I booked that lake one time. I'd like to think the three of us have some experience fishing lakes but Posby was a total bust; none of us figured out how to catch fish. A down cycle? Big barometric pressure drop (it did thunder and lightning on us). Inexperience? Bad luck? All of the previous or none?

I'm with you, I think the Fab Four need to go back earlier in the year (but what about later??)./Patrick

Last edited:

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
i fished Posby twice, first was about 3rd week in June where we hit a Sedge hatch and it was great for the 3 days we were there. Lots of 12-18”, a couple pushing 20”, all on dries. Lost four that would’ve been well over 20, two yanked my rods overboard while slow trolling a gomphus and I was fortunate to get the rods back, two were feeding on emergers in the tules/Lilly pads and I had to try for them even though I knew I’d have little chance of landing them.
Second trip was sometime after July 4, can’t remember exactly but close as we celebrated it in Canada. It was very stormy, periods of hard rain and lightning that greatly reduced our time on the water and the fish weren’t co-operating. Second day there my grandson found some small Hot-Shot plugs with single hooks in a spinning tackle box he has; tied them onto an intermediate sink line and woke them up. Wasn’t nearly as good, smaller fish with most in 12-14” range and less. But we spent a lot less time on the water.
Shane (owner) said it fishes very well in September and October.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
i fished Posby twice, first was about 3rd week in June where we hit a Sedge hatch and it was great for the 3 days we were there. Lots of 12-18”, a couple pushing 20”, all on dries. Lost four that would’ve been well over 20, two yanked my rods overboard while slow trolling a gomphus and I was fortunate to get the rods back, two were feeding on emergers in the tules/Lilly pads and I had to try for them even though I knew I’d have little chance of landing them.
Second trip was sometime after July 4, can’t remember exactly but close as we celebrated it in Canada. It was very stormy, periods of hard rain and lightning that greatly reduced our time on the water and the fish weren’t co-operating. Second day there my grandson found some small Hot-Shot plugs with single hooks in a spinning tackle box he has; tied them onto an intermediate sink line and woke them up. Wasn’t nearly as good, smaller fish with most in 12-14” range and less. But we spent a lot less time on the water.
Shane (owner) said it fishes very well in September and October.
I'd forgotten that Posby was the lake where two rods went missing.........

Dekartes

Kill Pebble Permanently
Looking at the maps of the area I did not realize how close this was to Wells Gray. I canoed Clearwater and Azure as a teenager. One of my lasting memories as a kid. The really solidified my interest in fishing. Would love to go back to Rainbow falls now. I remember that campsite as being outrageously good. Another trip to plan.

Ron McNeal

Sound, Light, and Frequency...............
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the advice. I'll be in my CRV - if I need to walk, I'll walk. I'll bring my GPS and download the Gaia layers!
If you're not able to get in, and your phone's working, call the Lodge & they'll pick you up w/ the UTV. If your phone's not working, then walk in & they'll pick up your stuff w/ it.