NFR Baseball 2023

Non-fishing related
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
... Make that 3-0 now for those lovable Royals, having just defeated the Seattle Mariners 8-7. I know, I know, its spring training, but it's still good to listen to a ball game and hear the Royals win.

cheers

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Remember Omar Garciaparra? His stchick after every pitch was to adjust his gloves and then tap dance till the pitch was thrown. That routine was so boring and consistent that you questioned his mental health after awhile. He would not do well in today's game.

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Remember Omar Garciaparra? His stchick after every pitch was to adjust his gloves and then tap dance till the pitch was thrown. That routine was so boring and consistent that you questioned his mental health after awhile. He would not do well in today's game.
You forgot his crotch grab while he was “stylin”

Sox traded him at the deadline … and life was good

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
You called me out? I call you out...

giphy.gif
My dad had one of those chest protectors…
Me and brother used to don it around the house often.
I learned to read by reading the baseball and softball rule books in the Master Bathroom…
Great memories…!!
😁

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I recorded the World Baseball Classic game between China and Japan last night and watched it this morning. It was certainly a refreshing change and a vastly different vibe than watching an MLB game. Fan involvement is hugely different than here with fans being super involved in the game. Shohei Ohtani was pitching and hitting for Japan and dominated the game pitching 4 innings of one hit ball and getting on base 4 times with 2 hits and 2 RBI's. The crowd was about 100% Japanese and whenever he threw a pitch the entire crowd went silent and all you could hear in the dome was the hum of the ventilation fans. But when Japan was batting the crowd was loud and raucous singing and clapping in unison at times, beating drums, blowing trumpets and waving huge flags. The dome was packed to capacity to see Ohtani-now the most famous baseball player in the world-and almost every one in the stands was wearing a mask.

Other differences were turf between the bases instead of dirt, no tatoos showing, no doofus hairdos that look like a bunch of snakes and no facial hair. It looked more like a game out of the '50's than 2023. China played tough for 7 innings and showed remarkably good defense but walks eventually killed them and they were only able to generate 3 hits.

The game was really a spectacle and very enjoyable to watch. I expect Japan to finish either first or second when it is all over.

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
... And howabout those Royals, 12-2; yeah yeah, I know, it's only spring training but there are several positive takeaways: the pitchers are throwing strikes and not giving up big innings and everyone in the lineup is hitting (+43 run differential) - just hope they can carry it over into the regular season.

Cheers

Canuck from Kansas

Forum Supporter
I recorded the World Baseball Classic game between China and Japan last night and watched it this morning. It was certainly a refreshing change and a vastly different vibe than watching an MLB game. Fan involvement is hugely different than here with fans being super involved in the game. Shohei Ohtani was pitching and hitting for Japan and dominated the game pitching 4 innings of one hit ball and getting on base 4 times with 2 hits and 2 RBI's. The crowd was about 100% Japanese and whenever he threw a pitch the entire crowd went silent and all you could hear in the dome was the hum of the ventilation fans. But when Japan was batting the crowd was loud and raucous singing and clapping in unison at times, beating drums, blowing trumpets and waving huge flags. The dome was packed to capacity to see Ohtani-now the most famous baseball player in the world-and almost every one in the stands was wearing a mask.

Other differences were turf between the bases instead of dirt, no tatoos showing, no doofus hairdos that look like a bunch of snakes and no facial hair. It looked more like a game out of the '50's than 2023. China played tough for 7 innings and showed remarkably good defense but walks eventually killed them and they were only able to generate 3 hits.

The game was really a spectacle and very enjoyable to watch. I expect Japan to finish either first or second when it is all over.

Watched Venezuela v Dominican Rep. (played in Miami) Wow!! These guys are taking it very seriously - far more intensity than a regular mid-season game and the crowd (35,000+ that/s really good for Miami). Rooting for Venezuela 'cause of Salvy Perez and Moggy Cabrera. Really enjoyed it.

Cheers

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Having watched the World Baseball Classic to it's predictable conclusion and comparing it to the new MLB Sanforized buttoned down version of a clock watchers wet dream, there is no real comparison. Baseball as it has been played for over 100 years is better and that is how they played the Classic. I tried to see the good in the new rules but the clock bull shit is just too much. Now the game somehow seems contrived and there is an air of artificiality that was never there before. I can get behind eliminating the shift, it was strangling baseball by turning every ground ball that should have been a hit into a boring ground out. Batting averages were down, run scoring along with them of course and fans were taking naps in the grandstands. The bigger bases is a good idea from a safety standpoint and only 2 infielders on either side of second base restores some order to the infield.

But the clock nonsense has the tail wagging the dog. Just today MLB came out with more nuanced enhancements to the rules making them even more draconian than they already were. All of this just to shorten the game by 20 minutes so it more conveniently fits int a TV time slot? With the cost of an MLB game for a family of 4 running about $250 nowadays I'm not convinced that the fans that attend the games are clamoring to get out of the ballpark in an hour and fifty minutes. Taking a kid to his first ball game or concert or on his first camping trip is not something that needs to be rushed through. Just play the damned game at it's normal pace and rhythm and leave the new shorthand version of it to video games. Kill the Clock!

JACKspASS

Life of the Party
I like the shift from the standpoint of it forces players that are one dimensional to use other parts of the field and not be just a pull hitter. Didn't see the shift against Ichiro because he could bunt, hit to all fields and for power. Don't get me started on DH...lol

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Having watched the World Baseball Classic to it's predictable conclusion and comparing it to the new MLB Sanforized buttoned down version of a clock watchers wet dream, there is no real comparison. Baseball as it has been played for over 100 years is better and that is how they played the Classic. I tried to see the good in the new rules but the clock bull shit is just too much. Now the game somehow seems contrived and there is an air of artificiality that was never there before. I can get behind eliminating the shift, it was strangling baseball by turning every ground ball that should have been a hit into a boring ground out. Batting averages were down, run scoring along with them of course and fans were taking naps in the grandstands. The bigger bases is a good idea from a safety standpoint and only 2 infielders on either side of second base restores some order to the infield.

But the clock nonsense has the tail wagging the dog. Just today MLB came out with more nuanced enhancements to the rules making them even more draconian than they already were. All of this just to shorten the game by 20 minutes so it more conveniently fits int a TV time slot? With the cost of an MLB game for a family of 4 running about $250 nowadays I'm not convinced that the fans that attend the games are clamoring to get out of the ballpark in an hour and fifty minutes. Taking a kid to his first ball game or concert or on his first camping trip is not something that needs to be rushed through. Just play the damned game at it's normal pace and rhythm and leave the new shorthand version of it to video games. Kill the Clock!
Living in Tacoma and going to a good number of Rainiers games played under the pitch clock rules the last season and a half, it's not nearly as noticeable as I thought it would be. Players adjust and there were less than 0.5 violations per game. It made every game have the pace of a Greg Maddox start, which no one ever complained about. There has been a time rule on the books for 112 years that is shorter than the pitch clock is today, it was just never enforced. The ills of the past are the ills of today.

MLB rule 8.04: with no runners on base the pitcher has 12 seconds to deliver a pitch from the time he receives the ball.

I'm in favor of the pitch clock, but could be persuaded to add something like "pitch clock is turned off in the 9th inning and beyond when the score difference is within 3 runs"

I also have to applaud the Mariners business office for their approach to fandom in the last 2-3 years. They have rolled out several ideas that make it cheaper and easier for fans to get in the ballpark. There will be 36 home games where bleacher seats are $10, upper level $20, and field level $30. They also have "value" concession options that aren't an everyday value, but are compared to the average pro sports offerings. Their flex ticket plans are innovative and super fan friendly. They are especially great for people that go to 4-15 games per year. Taking a family of 4 to the ballpark, including parking can be done for sub $150 this year.

I think I drank all of the Kool-Aid, none left you 🤔

Smith

Steelhead
I think I like the clock. It didn't seem obtrusive. Less ritual of hitters in and out of the box, and pitchers going through many steps before addressing the plate. And the lack of the shift was resulting in more hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.