Barb vs. No Barb

kmudgn

Steelhead
I always pinch the barb before tying. That way I never have to worry about choice of fly in "barbless/no weight/single fly" zones

I have also never understood why barbless hooks are more expensive.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I go barbless all the time. I have had a barbed hook go into my belly fat. The barbless ones come out smooth better. I always seem to get a hook in my fingers no matter how careful I am. I had to go to a clinic to get that hook out of my belly. Not enough guts to run it through and clip the barbed end off.

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Anyone ever had to cut a hook and push it all the way through? I've never had to do it on myself, but twice with buddies with unnecessarily large hooks. One in the thumbmeat and one in the skull. Delightful. Thank you, Leatherman.

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
I always pinch my barbs and it is mainly for my protection. Should I somehow hook myself, I want that hook coming out easily.

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
I have always fished barbless.
However, 5 years ago I did a solo guided drift boat trip out of Bozeman on the Missouri River. The guide put on a dry fly with a barb. I told him he forgot to pinch it down and he said it was optional on this river. It bothered me to fish with a barbed fly. Finally, when he changed flies I asked the guide to pinch the barb down.

Reactions: RCF

QuickreleaseEN

Steelhead
I'm a firm believer that barbless hooks penetrate the mouth better and get more hook in the fish. And if fishing subsurface, I like jig hooks and flies that ride hook point up. Getting more hooks in the top or corner of the mouth really helps landing percentage.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Sometimes I wonder how many fish that “spit the hook (barbless)” would’ve come to the net?? I guess I’ll never know......don’t really matter!