Bamboo??

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
R&D at Hotrodz of Burien working overtime......thinking but that’s as far as I’ve got.......:unsure::eek:
Your retired now, you're not supposed to be thinking, just doing. Go grab some cane and build your "ideal indicator rod" for how you like to fish. Be careful however, that might just start an endless journey of tweaks with how you tinker around.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Funny you should mention indicator rod Tom......so far my favorite has been a grass/graphite Hotrod. Made with a long intermediate bamboo section with a 4wt graphite tip section. The rod is around 7’3” and casts well and really bends to the grip! Maybe a copy but all bamboo and one piece........

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Well Tom.....speaking of my grass and graph indicator rod....I broke the graphite tip section on a big trout today. Time to tweak this rod.....

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Well Tom.....speaking of my grass and graph indicator rod....I broke the graphite tip section on a big trout today. Time to tweak this rod.....
So is that two recently? Didn't you break HRQ a while back. We need to find you some smaller fish, or up your technique. I get a kick out of your creations, hopefully it will be back in action with a new tip soon.

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
BFG, Might be all you need is a little inspiration. Retirement hurdles sometime manifest themselves as frozen inertia.
Attached is an image of a butt cap off a Jim Payne 420 10’6” three piece salmon rod that came with a compound fractured butt section. Came across this little item last week while sorting out “stuff” from years of fishing past.
I engaged the talents of a professional builder and had the mid and tips made up as a 7’ 2 pc 2 tip rod in the late 80’s. As with all of my ‘boo rods from the 20th century they paid for far flung fishing destinations and now sleep in other zip codes. That being said, I believe I still have your address, so even if you just stare at it, I think the Payne Mojo might jump start the thought process. You, Kerry and family have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
D2D53DC6-21BD-49EB-84A9-44915BC084C4.jpeg 76C8FE63-4069-4649-9E47-A434026F11A2.jpeg

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
We’re still too busy to feel retired.....but it’s getting better! Still beats getting up early and having to go to work! We don’t miss that at all. After cleaning out my parent’s house all summer, our garage is next....we have our stuff, my parent’s stuff and Kerri’s parent’s stuff! 20 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag.....but Rome wasn’t built in a day, and I’m still fishing lakes during the week in good weather. You and your family have a great Thanksgiving too!

Chris M

Steelhead
How about a 7 1/2 ft , 2 piece, 4 wt, sliding band, 6 1/2" cork for dry fly's. Bamboo of course.
I'd like mine wrapped in a medium brown please. I can pick it up to, that will save you shipping.

Last edited: