Bamboo on Baranof Island

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 12.00.44 PM.png
Rented a forest service cabin on a Baranof Island lake in which 100,000+ dollies and 5,000+ cutts overwinter. The Alaska Fish and Game set up a weir and counted one year. We arrived by float plane from Sitka 1 week after iceout. Lots of snow still around lake.
Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 12.36.37 PM.png
A sturdy johnboat at the cabin was our transportation. The orange can is bear spray. This is brown bear country and yes they sometimes come by the cabin.
Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 12.07.11 PM.png
Plenty of dollies concentrated at the dropoff of the lake's inlet. A few schools of fry were swimming about which I suppose is what attracted the dollies. When I located the dollies it was a fish a cast on my 9' Wright and McGill Waterseal bamboo rod, a full sinking 6 weight line and a size 10 thunder creek minnow. The dollies were 15-21 inches and hard fighting in water so cold it made my hands ache. When I was playing a fish I could often see several others trailing it.
Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 12.28.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 12.24.43 PM.png
No cutts. Maybe the lake was too cold or they had dropped down the lake's short outlet to salt water waiting to intercept the fry. Fished unsuccessfully a couple hundred yards down the outlet.
Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 12.33.43 PM.png
I stopped when I ran into this.
Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 12.34.16 PM.png
The cabin's log books go back almost 30 years. I added an entry and left a fly. Already planning next year's trip.
Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 12.18.28 PM.png

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Fantastic!
From the prior entry, sounds like Septober would also be a good time to visit, toss some silvers into the mix. Also, I guess they didn’t hook the ramp to the dock back up? Do they do that for summer? Were you the first guests of the year?

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Happy to see your trip worked out well Dave. It looks like you had better weather up there than we did down here!

In my experience that’s the perfect fly for that scenario too!
I wonder who clued me into that?

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Fantastic!
From the prior entry, sounds like Septober would also be a good time to visit, toss some silvers into the mix. Also, I guess they didn’t hook the ramp to the dock back up? Do they do that for summer? Were you the first guests of the year?
The ramp used to run out to the float out front which made this one of the few handicapped accessible cabins in Alaska. It made unloading easy because the float planes could taxi up to the doc. The ramp was sheared off by storms last year so there's no way to get to the dock and you need to fly in wearing waders to unload.

Several comments in the log book about excellent fly fishing for silvers in the last week of September and first week of October in the outlet and also in the lake near the outlet. Weather is unstable so if you come then you need to bring extra food in case your plane can't pick you up on time. The lake can rise 1-3 feet in a day with heavy fall rains but that pulls the fish in. Also the bears are active then for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Happy to see your trip worked out well Dave. It looks like you had better weather up there than we did down here!

In my experience that’s the perfect fly for that scenario too!
I wonder who clued me into that?
The fly and the fly rod are both familiar to you. There are more where that came from. I'll trade you a lifetime supply of that fly for your wood pram. :)

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 10.35.45 PM.png

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Umm, no on the wooden boat.
My daughter claimed it already.

I have a nice old Montague rod however. It really doesn’t need that much work to get it in sort of close to fishable condition. Maybe we could work something out.

In all seriousness though, those flies you tie as shown in that photo work really well for anyone fishing in lakes that have natural reproduction. Retrieved erratically, trout will hammer them.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The fly and the fly rod are both familiar to you. There are more where that came from. I'll trade you a lifetime supply of that fly for your wood pram. :)

View attachment 14019
Dave, you continue to amaze me with the way you tie and successfully fish the old timer's flies. Those Keith Fulsher Thunder Creeks look great and obviously the fish thought so too. I'd like to hear how you tie their heads/eyes. Cool flies, great trip, great report!

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Dave, you continue to amaze me with the way you tie and successfully fish the old timer's flies. Those Keith Fulsher Thunder Creeks look great and obviously the fish thought so too. I'd like to hear how you tie their heads/eyes. Cool flies, great trip, great report!
5 Keys for thunder creek minnows.
1. Sparse is better.
2. Wet the bucktail before doubling it back to make the head.
3. Use extra small stick-on eyes instead of paint. More durable and less fuss.
4. Multiple coats of Sally Hansen Nail Hardener instead of epoxy. Dries fast and less fuss.
5. Read Keith Fulshers book. Happy to lend it to you for the next rainy day read.
Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 7.08.02 AM.png