Bamboo and the Dark Mackerel

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 10.20.41 AM.png

Found some sea-run cutts yesterday fishing a western washington river with my Granger 9660 bamboo fly rod. The Granger 9660 is a 9'6" 7 weight which throws a long line and long mends. Perfect for this big water where there's a chance of a steelhead in addition to the cutts.

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 10.30.13 AM.png

I fished a Peter Ross on the dropper and a Dark Mackerel as the tail fly. The Dark Mackerel has become one of my favorite river cutthroat patterns. It's dark but also has some flash.

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 10.24.54 AM.png

The Dark Mackerel was invented by William Currie for scottish sea trout but in the words of Stan Headley is "worth a go anywhere the child of the tide swims." I like to fish the Dark Mackerel as a dark fly along with a bright fly like the Silver March Brown, Silver Invicta or Invicta when I'm searching for cutts. Here's the pattern:

Thread: 8/0 Claret or Wine.
Hook size: wet fly 8-10 for river cutthroats, 12-14 for lakes.
Tail: Golden pheasant tippets
Body: Red tinsel ribbed with claret hackle.
Ribbing: small silver tinsel or silver wire. You tie the hackle in at the front and wind it down the fly to the rear. Then you tie the hackle off with the tinsel or wire and wind 5 turns through the hackle to the front of the fly. The counter ribbing makes the fly durable.
Wing: Bronze mallard or Brown Merganser.

Last edited:

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Love those classics.

At first I thought you were using mackerel for bait or fishing off shore for Mackerel sharks.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yes, I saw a pic this week of Glenn Bracket bending one of his bamboo rods in San Diego on a bonita, so I figured Dave hauled his 9660 down there to join him and picked up a dark makerel.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
I managed to get a mackerel on my 12wt bamboo while going for tuna this past weekend… : ). Decent fight for on a 12 wt.
Mark, how heavy is your 12 weight? Hope it's two handed. I'm not intimidated by heavy bamboo rods. I can cast a 7 weight bamboo all day long. But a 9'6" 9 weight orvis bamboo rod was too much for me. It wasn't just the weight of the rod. It was having all the grains or line out in the air on a backcast. It was too hard on my elbow.

Last edited:

Kado

Steelhead
I have not weighed it yet and you're reminding me that I really need to weigh my rods so I can get a better idea as to how I'm doing with this great craft. I got the pleasure of holding at least a section of a Bill Oyster 12 wt and it felt very similar to mine, although a hundred times prettier! His metal engraving on his reel seats are spectacular.
It cast a 12 weight full sink line with a heavily weighted clouser .... with a lot of effort. Maybe 40 ft casts, although this was also from a pretty heavily rolling boat platform. I've cast it with a GT floating line and I felt it was fine. I've cast that same line with my graphite rod and it was a lot more fun though!
I managed to get a tuna on for about 2 minutes...put a huge bend into the rod and the reel was screaming....so much fun...but lost it as it turned toward the boat and I couldn't catch up.
Getting back to your 'Dark Mackerel' flies...how do you fish those in a lake? They are beautiful flies.