April tying contest thread and the March winner is...

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Thanks to our last month judge and the two time champ @James St. Clair we now have a new winner to announce!

The March winner for the theme of Skwala's is... drumroll-please-clark-griswold.gifJake!!!!
9A0DF621-AD4C-4487-B52E-4C442D0B03BC.jpeg.jpg
Jake has now selected caddis as the theme of the month for April! Jake is leaving this catagory broad and didn't specify nymph or dry or lake or stream. So you have a lot of options for your chance to win.

Congrats @Jake for your win! brock-lesnar-wwe-champion.gifLet's see those caddis down below!
Billy

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thanks to our last month judge and the two time champ @James St. Clair we now have a new winner to announce!

The March winner for the theme of Skwala's is... View attachment 60158Jake!!!!
View attachment 60159
Jake has now selected caddis as the theme of the month for April! Jake is leaving this catagory broad and didn't specify nymph or dry or lake or stream. So you have a lot of options for your chance to win.

Congrats @Jake for your win! View attachment 60160Let's see those caddis down below!
Billy
There were so many good ties last month. Still having a hard time believing I got picked.

Sorry for the "vague" guidelines, but I'm very interested in letting folks share their repertoire, skills, and if they choose, to flex their creativity.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
There were so many good ties last month. Still having a hard time believing I got picked.

Sorry for the "vague" guidelines, but I'm very interested in letting folks share their repertoire, skills, and if they choose, to flex their creativity.
Probably a good call with the emerger month still fresh on everyone's mind. We don't want a repeat of that...

wwe-funny.gif

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I submit the humble Vermont Caddis in size 16.

Hare's ear body, mixed brown and grizzly hackle. Fishes just as well wet as dry. After a dry fly drift, I strip it back to me wet. Or skitter it across the surface.
PXL_20230402_210832955.jpg

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Let’s see a swimming caddis scaled up for muskie!
I tried that with the emergers....

Although this might be a little more legit. I'll see what I can drum up.

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
This October Caddis Pupa has really killed it for me the past few seasons on my local, where the hatch is the best I have seen on any river in WA.
View attachment 60281
View attachment 60277
View attachment 60278
View attachment 60279
View attachment 60280

Also, @Jake, I am looking forward to an SBS article on your skwala dry 😉
Didn't know that was a thing, but I will do so when I have the time. Personal life and time are a bit of a shitshow right now, but I'll give it a shot.

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Didn't know that was a thing, but I will do so when I have the time. Personal life and time are a bit of a shitshow right now, but I'll give it a shot.

Totally get it, work and coaching kids sports is taking every minute of my life right now. I still need to write one on the transition Dun from February. I think it would be really neat for the community here to have a reference of the winning fly from each month. Personally, I would fish any of these flies over a store bought pattern. Even if I am not able to tie them right away, it would be great to have a reference for when I can tie some!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Since I've been working on Doc Spratleys I'll throw this in as my favorite for lakes.
20230403_093857.jpg
My 24/7/365 favorite the BHGRHE softhackle for stream fishing.
20230403_102455.jpg
Last fall I had a lot of success with a Bird of Prey.
20230403_104140.jpg