Apps for fly fishing

Kado

Steelhead
I'd like to float more rivers diy, but so far have only done rivers that I have previously floated with a guide. I'm realizing that many times I am not paying enough attention to landmarks as to where the take out is when with the guide and this leads to a little extra anxiety when looking for the take out by myself. I'm thinking many times I may not have cell service as often the rivers are in canyons. Are there any apps that can help? Any suggestions are appreciated, even if not related to floating a river. Many hiking forums give very detailed descriptions of trails and topography that can be researched ahead of time. Do we have access to the same for floating a river?
Thanks again,
Mark

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Mark, with OnX or Gaia - you can mark a waypoint at the take out. You can either do this when you drop off the truck/trailer at the takeout, or ahead of time (on your PC or on the app on your phone). Both work w/o cell service on downloadable maps.

My normal routine is to mark my launch and takeout and then download the map. Even on rivers I've floated a bunch of times. That way I always have a reference point in case something bad happens. It's extremely helpful on rivers I haven't floated before or are floating for the first time in a while.

- Matt

Millsfly

Steelhead
Second for OnX. Download, before you get to the river, the offline map of where you're going to be. Often I download the whole river corridor in case plans change to a different float

Then, mark the take out on onx as a waypoint and it will track your boats progress down the river in offline mode and you'll see exactly how far you are from the get out

Also, old school of scouting out the take out before the float is worth it's weight in gold. I learned long ago not to trust the dude at the fly shop who often says things like "you'll never miss is, there's a big tree, then a rock, then another big tree then another rock and it's right there"
yeah, sure!

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Third OnX. It works really well and being able to download offline maps ahead of time is great. It's also does a good job indentifying private and public land. When I find good spots that hold fish, I pin them and make notes on the App.

Lue Taylor

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'd like to float more rivers diy, but so far have only done rivers that I have previously floated with a guide. I'm realizing that many times I am not paying enough attention to landmarks as to where the take out is when with the guide and this leads to a little extra anxiety when looking for the take out by myself. I'm thinking many times I may not have cell service as often the rivers are in canyons. Are there any apps that can help? Any suggestions are appreciated, even if not related to floating a river. Many hiking forums give very detailed descriptions of trails and topography that can be researched ahead of time. Do we have access to the same for floating a river?
Thanks again,
Mark
Mark if you are just starting to float on your personal device make sure you do not float alone. Once on the Yak maybe two block in land measurement from Ringer take out the wind came up every time I lifted the oars out of water to row in my 8ft pontoon boat it would push me backwards took over a hour in half to get to Ringer an that's walking close to shore the last block even a drift boat was spinning in circles not going anywhere. I use to float alone but many times wish I had someone with me.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I had the problem of identifying my take-out location on a couple of rivers. This was before there was Onyx, cell phone GPS, or Garmin InReach, etc. I used a rather old-school method that required no technology. I scouted my take out area and hung a couple 2' lengths of surveyor's tape on something that was easily visible from the river. Worked every time.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I had the problem of identifying my take-out location on a couple of rivers. This was before there was Onyx, cell phone GPS, or Garmin InReach, etc. I used a rather old-school method that required no technology. I scouted my take out area and hung a couple 2' lengths of surveyor's tape on something that was easily visible from the river. Worked every time.
That stuff has and still does come in really handy. I carry a roll w/ me in my bag.

Chadk

Life of the Party
I use Go Paddling app sometimes. Shows common put in / take out spots for rivers, lakes, puget sound, etc.

Many good time app options. WDFW app. Onx. I use Windy a lot for checking wind conditions as I plan a trip. Been burned too many times with 30-45mph winds that pretty much ruined a few trips. A few hours in another direction, and no wind issues...