Anyone cast the Scott Wave?

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Thoughts, initial impressions? How’s it feel compared to the Centric, Radian, Meridian or Sector?

I am in the market for a 9 weight and debating the Sage Maverick and this rod. Something I’ll need as I start delving into some tropical stuff this year. I have the Maverick in a 12 weight (used for Tuna only so far) and 6 weight (coho and src) and I think it’s a solid rod. That said, the benefits of buying Sage rods passed with Covid and I have never really been disappointed in a Scott Rod I have cast. IMO they have found the sweet spot when I comes to performance and durability.

Thanks in advance to anyone who provides input. I may end up just buying a Sector but it sticks in the old craw thinking of a 1k rod gathering dust in my garage 361 days a year :).

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Take it with a grain of salt but, in my experience, the Wave is nicer rod to cast and fish than the Maverick. I’ve cast the whole range of both the Sage Maverick and the Scott Wave.

It's lighter than the Sage Maverick across all models, and I got more line speed out of it.

The Maverick, on the other hand, is burlier and has a bit better quality reel seat and guides And a bigger grip. That said, it's more of a light 10wt than a 9wt.

Compared to the much more expensive Sector, the Wave is not quite as nice to cast and it's a little more moderate in action and slightly slower to recover. It's somewhat akin to the Meridian, but not as nicely appointed. I haven't cast or seen a 990 Centric or Radian.

If I had been able to cast the Wave when I bought my 990 Sector I think I’d have bought the Wave.

Edit: Speling and gramir am hard.

Last edited:

klaus

Freshly Spawned
Forum Supporter
I had a chance to cast a few newer saltwater sticks. Not same weight so not perfect models comparison, but rids 7-9: Wave, Loomis VS2, R8Salt and Sector.
I put them in this order as my subjective opinion is, they are from "softest" to stiffest/more powerfull.
All of the rods are saltwater, but I am thinking to buy WAve 7 for bonefish/ trout streamer.. Sea runs even.
But the rod wchich blew my mind in 9 weight was new Loomis imx pro v2s 9 weight!!! Smooth and it wanted to fly...with Rio flats pro line if I remember.
So my, still evolving, opinio is, that if you prefer, shorter aggressive casting stroke, look towards Sektor or R8. If you, like me, want to relax a bit and open your cast, if you into "Winton action", you may love WAve or SV2.

Decisions, confusion, decisions..:)