Any Recommendations for a Roof Mounted Awning?

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
Can you stand up under tarp awning deployed from the roof of a Suby? Thirty years ago I fished out of a couple different early eighties wagons and I found the rear hatch was where all the action was. I built a custom rack that had two 6 inch pipes for rods and a special homemade tarp that deployed over the rear hatch loved it. Folks around forks loved it and I got pulled over a few times by the state because they were curious about the rack. I painted the whole thing black and it looked menacing, like a rocket launcher. I have a van now and I went with a freestanding 12x12 canopy with walls if I want. I can set up where ever I want hell you could park that completely under it or in it with the walls. Food for thought. By the way i am typing this from the Olympic suites motel waiting for daylight listening to the wife snore. Here's to a beautiful day fishing.
Excellent point. I believe that an awning attached to the bars on my roof rack will be about 6’ high, + or - at The car. The poles on the Thule Outland awning (that I’m looking at) extend to 6’2”. In any event, there’s an advantage to being short, as I’m only 5’8” tall.

I wish I could have seen the setup that you used to have. I bet that was neat! I haven’t entirely ruled out an awning that would extend over my hatch, and could use one similar to what you did. In fact, I had made one for my Ford F150 truck that I just sold, that had an ARE truck cap on the back. I tied a tarp to the rear bar on the roof rack on the ARE, extended it over the open hatch, lowered the tailgate, and used the 2 adjustable height poles that I have for my Kelty Noah (ground mounted) tarp, and I was in business. (Those poles extend to about 10’ high. I don’t remember exactly, but they go high.) I could probably use that same setup now with my Subaru.

Peatbog

Smolt
Excellent point. I believe that an awning attached to the bars on my roof rack will be about 6’ high, + or - at The car. The poles on the Thule Outland awning (that I’m looking at) extend to 6’2”. In any event, there’s an advantage to being short, as I’m only 5’8” tall.

I wish I could have seen the setup that you used to have. I bet that was neat! I haven’t entirely ruled out an awning that would extend over my hatch, and could use one similar to what you did. In fact, I had made one for my Ford F150 truck that I just sold, that had an ARE truck cap on the back. I tied a tarp to the rear bar on the roof rack on the ARE, extended it over the open hatch, lowered the tailgate, and used the 2 adjustable height poles that I have for my Kelty Noah (ground mounted) tarp, and I was in business. (Those poles extend to about 10’ high. I don’t remember exactly, but they go high.) I could probably use that same setup now with my Subaru.

Peatbog

Smolt
I have an old fashioned photo of it set up on the upper Sol Duc. You pretty well described what it was but the sides folded down to close to the ground. What I can not remember is what I did when I closed the hatch at night if I did. I engineered something but I do not remember. I was a kid obsessed with steelhead and salmon.I ran with a black lab back then and I would often just leave the hatch open to vent the moisture. You sleep with a dog in your rig and you will know why. I am seriously looking for one of those old wagons to restore and drive in the winter here around lake Cushman. Have fun with your build and playing out of it.

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
In 1920, many people from Union and Snyder county took the train, or drove their cars over miles of rough dirt mountain roads when they headed west to camp, hunt and fish.

Sadly, that rail line was abandoned in 1970, and if you want to get to some of best trout fishing there today, you have to park your car and either walk or ride a bicycle through this tunnel. That’s one place, however, where I’ll be going with my Subaru to camp and fish this spring. 😊

F661F0C8-B563-4925-9CAD-C667E254F5BD.jpeg

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
That's also a great starter trail for families just getting into hiking. That tunnel is slowly becoming famous. Don't recall if that's part of the old L&T line or one of the short ore carrier lines that led into the smelters at Glen Iron

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
In 1920, many people from Union and Snyder county took the train, or drove their cars over miles of rough dirt mountain roads when they headed west to camp, hunt and fish.

Sadly, that rail line was abandoned in 1970, and if you want to get to some of best trout fishing there today, you have to park your car and either walk or ride a bicycle through this tunnel. That’s one place, however, where I’ll be going with my Subaru to camp and fish this spring.

View attachment 53175
That's also a great starter trail for families just getting into hiking. That tunnel is slowly becoming famous. Don't recall if that's part of the old L&T line or one of the short ore carrier lines that led into the smelters at Glen Iron

You’ve got a good memory.

(The tunnel has had major restorations since the article was written.)

There’s an old cabin that sits just a few feet from the old railroad grade not more than 100 yards from the east end of the tunnel. Back around 1970 I used to run into an older gentleman and his wife when we camped there, and he told me that his father had once owned that cabin, and they rode the train (from Lewisburg, as I recall) when they used to go to their cabin. He said the train would stop right in front of the cabin to let them get off, and then they put a flag out beside the track when they wanted to return. I’ll never forget the stories of the big brown trout he told of catching there.

The year before last when I was fishing there I stopped to talk to 2 men who were staying at that cabin. They didn‘t own the cabin, but the one guy said he was a good friend of the owner (I believe he said the present owner also lives in Lewisburg, or nearby) and they showed me inside the cabin. Nothing inside looked like it has changed since 1920, or perhaps before.

Last edited:

Blue Lines

Steelhead
We have a Thule Overcast awning that came with our off-road teardrop and don’t like it. It’s not as well built as other awnings, legs are too short (about 6’), and it doesn’t have anything to attach to the cross member supports, although I think newer models have fixed this (most use Velcro- keeps it from flapping).

Why would you want longer legs? In the rain you will want the awning sloped down and away from the vehicle, but on warmer days it’s nice to have it tilted up slightly making the area feel more open. Also, not all campsites are even, and it’s easy for a slight slope away from your vehicle to make the awning area feel very claustrophobic without longer legs.

I recommend the ARB awnings, in fact I just got one to replace the Thule and will be testing it on the lower D this weekend. We also have a Yakima Slim Shady mounted on the other side (bought it at an REI garage sale just before getting the teardrop) to test this weekend as well. The ARB is by far the best constructed of the three, with the Yakima being mid grade and the Thule sitting in a corner of the garage.

Aside from the ARB, others have recommended Ironman 4x4 awnings. I don’t have experience with them, but they have quite the following in the overland community.

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
You’ve got a good memory.

(The tunnel has had major restorations since the article was written.)

There’s an old cabin that sits just a few feet from the old railroad grade not more than 100 yards from the east end of the tunnel. Back around 1970 I used to run into an older gentleman and his wife when we camped there, and he told me that his father had once owned that cabin, and they rode the train (from Lewisburg, as I recall) when they used to go to their cabin. He said the train would stop right in front of the cabin to let them get off, and then they put a flag out beside the track when they wanted to return. I’ll never forget the stories of the big brown trout he told of catching there.

The year before last when I was fishing there I stopped to talk to 2 men who were staying at that cabin. They didn‘t own the cabin, but the one guy said he was a good friend of the owner (I believe he said the present owner also lives in Lewisburg, or nearby) and they showed me inside the cabin. Nothing inside looked like it has changed since 1920, or perhaps before.

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
We have a Thule Overcast awning that came with our off-road teardrop and don’t like it. It’s not as well built as other awnings, legs are too short (about 6’), and it doesn’t have anything to attach to the cross member supports, although I think newer models have fixed this (most use Velcro- keeps it from flapping).

Why would you want longer legs? In the rain you will want the awning sloped down and away from the vehicle, but on warmer days it’s nice to have it tilted up slightly making the area feel more open. Also, not all campsites are even, and it’s easy for a slight slope away from your vehicle to make the awning area feel very claustrophobic without longer legs.

I recommend the ARB awnings, in fact I just got one to replace the Thule and will be testing it on the lower D this weekend. We also have a Yakima Slim Shady mounted on the other side (bought it at an REI garage sale just before getting the teardrop) to test this weekend as well. The ARB is by far the best constructed of the three, with the Yakima being mid grade and the Thule sitting in a corner of the garage.

Aside from the ARB, others have recommended Ironman 4x4 awnings. I don’t have experience with them, but they have quite the following in the overland community.
Thanks for your reply and all the information. I had been considering the Thule Outland Awning, and not the Overcast model, and while I believe the Outland awning has a tensioning feature, it still doesn’t have something like Velcro straps to secure the awning from flapping, and I can see where that might still be desirable in windy conditions.

Plus, they’ve now increased the price of those Thule awnings by $200, so they’re really expensive - around $900.00 including tax for the small model I was considering. For that price I could get the ARB model with lights, and in an aluminum tube.

I‘d be interested in your evaluation of your ARB after you’ve had a chance to use it.

Thanks, John

Last edited:

Peatbog

Smolt
Thanks for your reply and all the information. I had been considering the Thule Outland Awning, and not the Overcast model, and while I believe the Outland awning has a tensioning feature, it still doesn’t have something like Velcro straps to secure the awning from flapping, and I can see where that might still be desirable in windy conditions.

Plus, they’ve now increased the price of those Thule awnings by $200, so they’re really expensive - around $900.00 including tax for the small model I was considering. For that price I could get the ARB model with lights, and in an aluminum tube.

I‘d be interested in your evaluation of your ARB you’ve had a chance to use it.

Thanks, John
The Thule brand drives large price's. ARB awnings are great in my humble opinion. Been around lots. Used all day long on your favorite market place also.

Blue Lines

Steelhead

I‘d be interested in your evaluation of your ARB after you’ve had a chance to use it.

Thanks, John
We have taken the ARB out a couple times now and it’s fantastic. Great build quality and relatively easy to set up. Lots of title touches that ultimately make a significant difference (better quality material, more watertight, easier to roll up, zipper pulls that tuck in the awning cover so they don’t jump around in the wind while driving… and many more).

Heading out again tomorrow night for a couple days despite the storm- I’ll be sure to take some photos.