Any Recommendations for a Roof Mounted Awning?

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
After many years of sleeping in the back of my full sized truck, or other larger SUV‘s, my wife finally talked me into selling my F150 (she didn’t think I was using it enough - UGH!) and I recently bought a new Subaru Wildnerness Outback, and am in the process of getting it ready for some 1-3 night fishing/camping trips starting this spring.

The Wilderness Outback comes equipped with some pretty sturdy roof rails, but doesn’t have the factory crossbars that come as standard equipment on other Outback models, so I bought a pair of Thule crossbars and a Thule cartop carrier (storage box) to store some of the gear that I’ll probably be taking with me. I generally take a lot more stuff than I need, and I figure some of that gear can go on the roof - although I haven’t figured out yet exactly what that’ll be.)

The next item I’m thinking of buying is a roof mounted awning. I already have a Kelty ground mounted tarp, but I thought it might be easier to sep up one that’s already mounted on the car‘s roof. I’ve never owned one before, and am not sure what might be best, if anything, so I’d really appreciate suggestions that any of you have on getting one. ???

If I get an awning, I think I should keep its length to about 6 1/2’ which seems about the max. that is compatible with the Outback‘s size. Price probably won’t be a significant factor, I’d just one a good quality one. (I’d been looking at the Thule Outland awnings, which are pretty pricy, but don’t know anything about them, except that I like my other Thule items.)

John

Last edited:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Back in the day when I had a VW camper van I researched this a bit and it always sounded like the Fiamma ones were the way to go: https://www.fiammausa.com/

But since then I think a number of other companies have stepped up into the market. Thule, Yakima, Roofnest, etc.

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
Back in the day when I had a VW camper van I researched this a bit and it always sounded like the Fiamma ones were the way to go: https://www.fiammausa.com/

But since then I think a number of other companies have stepped up into the market. Thule, Yakima, Roofnest, etc.

Thanks, I wasn’t aware of Fimma. It looks like they have an awning that’s the right size. I’ll have to look more into it’s quality and features compared to the other brands that are available today. I had looked at Yakima, but hadn’t known about Roofnest either which I’ll also take a look at.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@MT_Flyfisher ,

Afternoon. Probably not what you are looking for but when I camp be it car, rv, boat or backpacking, I use a simple tarp set up. Cheap Wallyworld tarp any size you wish, 4 poles ( can be bought or made ), 4 stakes bought or made, 4 guy lines and for added support, a ridgeline of sufficient length.

Tie the ridgeline between two trees. Drape the tarp over the ridgeline. Place the poles into the corner grommets. Attach the guylines to the poles then to the 4 stakes. Cheap, efficient, effective and very spacious. With one tarp I can set up a cooking area and a firepit. Vary the ridgeline height to your choosing. It is a luxury to be able to sit and/or stand, around the fire, during inclement weather. Also nice to make shade, via the tarp, in hot sunny conditions.

This is just an idea for you. The 6.5 length your working with is a pretty small area. Not sure a custom car awning setup is worth the price.

Have fun.

Bob

Last edited:

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
@MT_Flyfisher ,

Afternoon. Probably not what you are looking for but when I camp be it car, rv, boat or backpacking, I use a simple tarp set up. Cheap Wallyworld tarp any size you wish, 4 poles ( can be bought or made ), 4 stakes bought or made, 4 guy lines and for added support, a ridgeline of sufficient length.

Tie the ridgeline between two trees. Drape the tarp over the ridgeline. Place the poles into the corner grommets. Attach the guylines to the poles then to the 4 stakes. Cheap, efficient, effective and very spacious. With one tarp I can set up a cooking area and a firepit. Vary the ridgeline height to your choosing. It is a luxury to be able to sit and/or stand, around the fire, during inclement weather. Also nice to make shade, via the tarp, in hot sunny conditions.

This is just an idea for you. The 6.5 length your working with is a pretty small area. Not sure a custom car awning setup is worth the price.

Have fun.

Bob
Bob -

Thanks for your reply and suggestion for the tarp. As I had mentioned, I already have a Kelty tarp, which is relatively small (I believe it may only be 12’) and relatively easy to set up, and it only takes 2 poles to set up. Plus, I have a variety of other tarps, but I’m not sure what you suggested would always work in many of the places that I’ll be going for several reasons.

One is that I‘ll often be moving from place to place, maybe moving several times during the day. I might only want to put out an awning for an hour or two, for example, to provide shade from the sun when I’m eating lunch in the middle of the day, or to put on or take off my waders when it’s raining, for example. Also, in some of the places where I go there aren’t trees, or even the space, to set up a tarp like you’re suggesting. I’ve had travel trailers and a truck camper that had awnings on them, and I rather like the idea of having awnings mounted on the side that I could put out and take in relatively quickly as I move from place to place.

I understand that a 6’ awning is pretty small, and I would like to have a bigger one, but I think it would be workable, in part because it will be just me rather than for more people. I don’t mind the cost.

I also bought a Roadie window screen, that has a small canopy over it, to provide some ventilation inside the car when I’m sleeping in it, but I am also thinking there might be nights when it might be raining hard enough that I might want to also have a larger roof mounted awning out so I could keep a window partially open and not get drenched inside the car. (I’ll just have to hope it isn’t too windy to leave an awning out.)

John

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
Thanks for pointing out both of these. I had given some thought to products similar to those offered my other companies, but hadn't products from those 2 companies. I’ll spend some more time looking into them.

I like some of the benefits of rear mounted awnings (or whatever the manufacturer calls their product) but I think I‘d want one that could be mounted high enough on my car’s cross bars so I could still easily open and close the hatch (I’d want it closed at night when I’m sleeping), plus rain protection so the the inside of my Subaru wouldn’t get wet with the hatch open.

Derek Young

Steelhead
Talk to the folks at Mule Expedition Outfitters in Preston. I purchased an ARB awning and tent that mounts to Thule bars on my Tundra canopy. It has a zip in room that is spacious and perfect for vehicle-assisted camping.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have the 2020 Limited and was once looking at these. I never bought one but still think about it from time to time. This one caught my eye… but all of them had pros and cons.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
I have a Fiamma and love it. You mentioned you’d like to set it up multiple times a day. If it’s difficult to deploy and retrieve you’re going to get tired of that really fast, that’s why I bought a Fiamma. You simply crank it out, then crank it back in when you’re ready to go - it’s so easy, and most of the others aren’t.

EEAD67D8-FAC0-41B2-A863-C72D6F7F6FA5.jpeg

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thanks for pointing out both of these. I had given some thought to products similar to those offered my other companies, but hadn't products from those 2 companies. I’ll spend some more time looking into them.

I like some of the benefits of rear mounted awnings (or whatever the manufacturer calls their product) but I think I‘d want one that could be mounted high enough on my car’s cross bars so I could still easily open and close the hatch (I’d want it closed at night when I’m sleeping), plus rain protection so the the inside of my Subaru wouldn’t get wet with the hatch open.
I used this style of canopy for a couple of decades on my 4x4's when hanging on a fave surf beach vehicles were allowed on. Used large velro straps to attach it to the roof racks, no hardware, off and on in a couple of minutes. Amazon and Walmart carry them under the Yescom brand.
us%2FQCZYPSS6.68.2FQKNV0%2Fgoods_img-v5%2Fcar-awning-m100-1.2.jpg

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
Be sure to buy a full set of WeatherTech window vent shades. They are a necessity in rain. I would avoid the cheapo tape on types.
Yep, I already bought the full set, and coincidentally, they just arrived yesterday afternoon. I also have the weathertech floor mats for the front and back seats which I bought at the same time I got my car 2 months ago.

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
I have a Fiamma and love it. You mentioned you’d like to set it up multiple times a day. If it’s difficult to deploy and retrieve you’re going to get tired of that really fast, that’s why I bought a Fiamma. You simply crank it out, then crank it back in when you’re ready to go - it’s so easy, and most of the others aren’t.

View attachment 51422
Greg - Perfect! I don’t recall that some of the other brands that I’d looked at had crank out awnings, but your Fiamma set up looks like it‘s nearly perfect for what I had in mind. (Now, if only someone would only have a push button motorized in-and-out, perhaps with a wind sensor, that’d be even better. 😊 )

I like your set up, by the way. It almost makes me want to talk to my one son about giving me an old VW camper that he’s had sitting in his warehouse, unused, for a number of years. (He also has an old Honda 110 Trail bike sitting in there, unused, that I gave him probably 20 years ago, that I’ve also thought getting back from him. 😊)

By the way, I’m envious of your set-up!

p.s. added on edit: Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like Fiamma has an awning that would suit my Subaru, because their shortest model length wise, is 6.5’, only extends out bit over 3’, and I’d want one that extends farther out than that. Their next larger model is over 8’ long which is too long for my Subaru.

Last edited:

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
B3213583-3A63-454F-A1D2-B2413BE5CB25.jpeg
I’ve owned a couple different awnings on different jeeps and trailers…ARB & Rhino Rack Sunseeker…my current one is a Rhino Rack.

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
I used this style of canopy for a couple of decades on my 4x4's when hanging on a fave surf beach vehicles were allowed on. Used large velro straps to attach it to the roof racks, no hardware, off and on in a couple of minutes. Amazon and Walmart carry them under the Yescom brand.
us%2FQCZYPSS6.68.2FQKNV0%2Fgoods_img-v5%2Fcar-awning-m100-1.2.jpg
Thanks, I’ll look at that one as well.
View attachment 51434
I’ve owned a couple different awnings on different jeeps and trailers…ARB & Rhino Rack Sunseeker…my current one is a Rhino Rack.
Wow! Now that’s a setup. Were any of your awnings crank out models?

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
285E7302-5F1D-45F0-BDB8-D0F07C97457D.jpeg
Consider also getting a bug room for the summer…keeps out the skeeters & meat bees …they also allow several extensions to be added for more sun coverage if you need it