Another leaky wader situation

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Two sets of waders on the last two outings have developed roughly the same leaks. The waders are Redington Sonic Pro Zip front and an old set of Patagonia - don't know which model since they have served as limited use backup since 2006.

They are showing multiple pinhole size leaks, pretty slow leaks, in the neoprene booty near where it attaches to the nylon/polyester upper. I marked all the leaks, covered 'em with Aqua Seal, let 'em dry, and took them on the next trip. More pinhole leaks along this same "elevation." At this rate I will soon have a band of Aqua Seal going around the booties at this height, near the attachment section.

Are these waders shot already? Only two seasons on the Sonic Pro and far less than a single season on the backup Patagonia waders.

Couldn't find any good waders on sale, and full retail gave me a bad case of sticker shock. I've been buying waders on closeout sales the last dozen years or so.

wetline dave

Steelhead
Salmo,
Bi-Mart in Ellensburg has Allan waders for sale from around $100 to about $150. Haven't tried them out but they look OK and price is right even if the bottom end ones only last a little over a year.

Come on over and you can use my card (worth $5.00) for a life time.

Dave

wetline dave

Steelhead
Salmo,
You can get that spray sealant and some gorilla tape. I am just about ready to do that to my waders. I just can't figure out if I tape first and then spray the sealant or vice versa. Those inside leg seams would require enough Aqua Seal that would buy a new set of waders out right.

Dave

Otter

Steelhead
They are showing multiple pinhole size leaks, pretty slow leaks, in the neoprene booty near where it attaches to the nylon/polyester upper.
Leaks in neoprene are a big mystery to me. Neoprene is a closed cell foam, which is why it's totally waterproof. (former diver here). This is the opposite to open cell foam, like a dish sponge, that soaks up water.

I don't understand how neoprene booties could leak in the actual neoprene. Maybe some chemical has degraded the neoprene. Do you store your waders in a garage or workshop, where there may be containers of something that's corrosive, or a solvent to rubber? Just an idea.

Chadk

Life of the Party
Shoe-goo works just as well. Marine version is available. Used to get pinholes in my full neoprene waders and shoe goo worked fine. Just put some inside and outside and stretch it a bit and work it in to the material a bit.

skyrise

Steelhead
Bought a new pair of Simms about 6 years ago with no problems. Then last summer I thought I would try my old Reddington zip ups one day. Wow I had no idea there were that many leaks in them. Did they they develop leak’s hanging in my garage ? Now I will have to do the full emersion test by wearing them while standing in my garbage can full of water. Better go buy a new tube of aqua seal.

longputt

Steelhead
Leaks in neoprene are a big mystery to me. Neoprene is a closed cell foam, which is why it's totally waterproof. (former diver here). This is the opposite to open cell foam, like a dish sponge, that soaks up water.

I don't understand how neoprene booties could leak in the actual neoprene. Maybe some chemical has degraded the neoprene. Do you store your waders in a garage or workshop, where there may be containers of something that's corrosive, or a solvent to rubber? Just an idea.
I have a pair and one foot suddenly allowed water to seep in all over...not at seams. I thinned shoe goo with mineral spirits and brushed the whole boot and it stopped. But now my foot gets really cold...lost that neoprene insulation effect!

Otter

Steelhead
If a neoprene bootie has pinholes, does spraying it with isopropanol show them, like it does withwader fabric?

Shad

Life of the Party
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: unless you do most of your fishing from a boat, waders suck. Not worth anywhere near what we pay for them. Doesn't mean I won't keep buying them, of course; even my usually leaky waders beat nothing 8 months out of the year.