Another boring canyon report

January was a tough month for me for a myriad of reasons and it took the whole month for me to get out in 2023. My family could tell as the shack nasties were hitting hard. My wife and kid all but opened the door and pushed me out Saturday morning. But alas, I got down to the canyon for the day and got on the board for 2023. The forecast looked positively mild for this time of the year (high of 49!?) with no wind--which was the recipe for a really good BWO hatch below the riffles and rapids.

Started the day nymphing with a double egg and boy was it slow. I pulled up two whitefish to get on the board for the year.
2023_TMcSweeney_Canyon-1.jpg2023_TMcSweeney_Canyon-4.jpg

As I was driving further into the canyon my air pressure light came on. I got out to see if I could see anything and could literally hear the hiss of my tire deflating.
2023_TMcSweeney_Canyon-6.jpg

So I said &*#* it, I'm down here already, I might as well fish and figure it out later 🤷‍♂️ . I was able to get to my favorite winter dry fly spot and rigged up my 4wt. Like clockwork the bugs started coming off at 1 and honestly, it was too good of a hatch. There was so many bugs on the water that the fish couldn't decide what they wanted to eat. In the end I went 2 for 5 on dries (clearly I was out of practice), nothing to big, both were about 14". But one of them had a very distinct red slash (I was really looking based on that other thread).

By the time the bugs stopped, I figured it was time to throw on the donut so I could get back to The Dalles before Les Schwab closed.
2023_TMcSweeney_Canyon-5.jpg2023_TMcSweeney_Canyon-9.jpg2023_TMcSweeney_Canyon-10.jpg2023_TMcSweeney_Canyon-11.jpg2023_TMcSweeney_Canyon-8.jpg2023_TMcSweeney_Canyon-7.jpg
2023_TMcSweeney_Canyon-3.jpg
Hoping to get out this weekend to go hunt some bulls.

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Sorry to hear that you had to deal with your tire. However, I am sure you got excited when that hatch started.

All things considered it wasnt a big deal because I was prepared. The most annoying part was driving 45 from Maupin to The Dalles.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nice! Always so great to be out there without the crowds. And dust....

Hoping you took the 217 and were being figurative about going through Maupin.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Nice! Always so great to be out there without the crowds. And dust....

Hoping you took the 217 and were being figurative about going through Maupin.
If by 217 you mean 216 through white river then yes. 217 would have gotten me to Tigard to fish for small mouths ;)

But yeah, it’s really nice being down there with absolutely no one.

Blue Lines

Steelhead
Heading out to the Lower D tonight, spending the weekend. It’s been about 9 months since I’ve made the pilgrimage, and I’m excited. I’ve never fished it during the winter (usually head to the Met), any advice? Headed to Maupin and then probably Long Bend Campground… I think I recall preferring the fishing upriver from town.

Tomorrow should be 50, overcast, with a slight drizzle- hopeful for some great BWO hatches.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Heading out to the Lower D tonight, spending the weekend. It’s been about 9 months since I’ve made the pilgrimage, and I’m excited. I’ve never fished it during the winter (usually head to the Met), any advice? Headed to Maupin and then probably Long Bend Campground… I think I recall preferring the fishing upriver from town.

Tomorrow should be 50, overcast, with a slight drizzle- hopeful for some great BWO hatches.

Have a good one! Fish the slower water during the morning and evening and keep an eye out below riffles and rapids in the slack water for BWOs!

Be ready with 18-22. Mine last week came on 20 and 22 comparadun and parachutes.