Anchoring in the Skagit

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
IMG_5202[1].JPG

For a handful of reasons, this has been sitting unused next to my house for a lifetime. My plan in retirement was to either use it or sell it, so I spent the latter part of the summer going from the ground up to get this thing in the water. My plan is to use it along the coastline in the salt, maybe a lake or two, and the lower half of the Skagit....like no further upstream than Concrete.

I'm hoping to get a couple river outings yet this year and my Safety Sam/OCD side has me re-thinking anchoring. It's been forever since I took the Power Squadron boating course or gotten my boating license so I thought I'd ask the group a couple things.

It's powered by a 15 hp Yamaha (prop) and I have this set up for anchoring....the anchor is 18lbs.
1664281192842.png1664280996166.png

I think I last had this in the river was about 15 years ago....launching in the Sedro area....and even then, I think I only used it a half dozen or so times.

My questions are:

- What hazards are associated with anchoring in this portion of the river
- Is my set up bad, adequate, or flat out wrong and if so, what would be better
- Aside from what's required, what all do you carry in your boat for unexpected problems, etc...

This is all I can think of at the moment but I'm opening to suggestions cuz I don't know what I don't know.

Thanks in advance,

Mike d

Last edited:

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
I would get a 30# pyramid anchor as that anchor shown could get lodged in boulders or stumps/trees that are very prevalent in the lower river.
Also the river is quit different after last years floods and at these low flows you will run into too shallow of bars to use a prop.

Reactions: M_D

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've had one of those anchors before (still actually have it) and I hated it. Got hung up on everything and when not hung up, didn't hold worth a crap. No experience anchoring on the Skagit but based on what Paige said above, I'd go with a pyramid anchor.

kerrys

Ignored Member
My boat is a larger than yours and that is exactly what I use in the lower river except my anchor is 30#. I‘ve used it for over 20 years now with little issue. The anchor has managed to get itself hung up a couple times where I had to cleat off the anchor line and pull it free using the engine.

Paige is correct that this time of year the river is low and tricky to run with a prop. You can run a prop relatively safely below Burlington or Mt. Vernon. Keep a couple shear pins with you in case you encounter the bottom.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I used to run a 14' Lund with a 25 hp prop outboard all over the Skagit, from the mouth to Marblemount. Broke a couple of shear pins too, I might add (never leave home without 'em). At low water I don't think you can run a prop past the long diagnonal riffle downstream of Alder and O'toole Creeks or the shallow just above Cumberland Island. Otherwise a prop can run most of the Skagit downstream of Rockport if you stick to the thalweg.

I've had a 16' Lund SSV the last 19 years, jet drive powered. I wouldn't use your anchor. I use a 25 lb. lead pyramid anchor. Any place it won't hold is a place I don't want to be anchoring up.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Experience gained from last summer at high flows with a new-to-my-buddy jet sled near marblemount:

If you lose power for some reason and cant immediately restore it, drop your anchor before you mess around with it. It took us way too long and things got really dicey before that idea came to us.

M_D

Forum Supporter
Thanks for the replies...they give me something to ponder...and some things to look up on a map. Cuz I have no idea where these places are that Salmo g mentioned. Heck, I didn't even know what a thalweg was. :unsure:

Plus, I had to figure out whether or not my motor uses a shear pin. I wasn't sure if you guys were shining me on...like go find the keys to the flag pole kinda thing (which I fell for during my first Scout camp back in the day) :)

It turns out mine uses a torsional bush. So I guess I'll be carrying an extra propeller

Mike d

wetline dave

Steelhead
new spark plugs, fuel filter, basic tool kit (pliers, screw drivers. Phillips, crescent wrench. really good tape. starter rope, spark plug socket and anything else that you think you may need tool wise. Throw in a road flare or two in that if for some reason you need to make a fire they work great as fire starters.
Just for giggles throw in a 12 X12 blue tarp and about 50 feet of parachute chord. Add a 7 or8 inch fold up pruning saw and something to split small wood.
I like an emergency cache of quick food and a pot to heat it up.

Laugh all you want but after you have spent a night or two hunkered down along a river all night in near freezing weather come talk to me.

Dave

M_D

Forum Supporter
Good point. All outboards used to have shear pins I think. But newer models the past 20 years or so don't. I don't know why cuz it seems like breaking a shear pin is a lot cheaper and easier to deal with. Props are expensive!
No kidding...but then why spend only $6 on a box of pins when I can spend 10 to 20 times that much or more on a propeller :confused:

If at all possible I always try to have a secondary anchor, chain and line ready to go. Losing an anchor happens more often than we would like, and often times that means "Game Over" for the day. IMHO once you have lost your last anchor, you are operating the vessel in an unsafe manner, and should return to port immediately. Also having two anchors gives you a choice between them for different conditions.

Reactions: M_D
"Anchoring along the coastline" especially in the Puget Sound, is extremely sketchy. You can easily be in 100 feet of water and also be 30 ft from the rocks. This makes anchoring (safely) impossible. Other areas have sneaky wash rocks, that can get you, when the current (and wind) changes, and drags your anchor. The current suddenly shifting 180 degrees can happen almost instantly, and has a way of making your anchor (slip). Often times I will be lulled into complacency while "relaxing on the hook", but I have learned (the hard way) to pay diligent attention while at anchor in the Sound.