Aluminum Boat for Lakes

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Been fly fishing some intermountain lakes this summer and had forgotten how much I love that. After selling my boat so I could buy my retirement skiff I have been relegated to my pontoon (which is still a great tool). However, there is just no way around the fact that a boat gives you just access to a lot more water. So I am getting ready to order me a boat for next spring.

Been doing the usual internet looking and have narrowed my thinking down to a couple of Crestliner or Lund options. So comes the age old question. Is there REALLY an important difference between an all welded vs riveted hull? Or is this much akin to Ford vs Chevy. And I didn't realize until recently that Crestliner and Lund are made at the same factory now.

Thoughts?

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Been fly fishing some intermountain lakes this summer and had forgotten how much I love that. After selling my boat so I could buy my retirement skiff I have been relegated to my pontoon (which is still a great tool). However, there is just no way around the fact that a boat gives you just access to a lot more water. So I am getting ready to order me a boat for next spring.

Been doing the usual internet looking and have narrowed my thinking down to a couple of Crestliner or Lund options. So comes the age old question. Is there REALLY an important difference between an all welded vs riveted hull? Or is this much akin to Ford vs Chevy. And I didn't realize until recently that Crestliner and Lund are made at the same factory now.

Thoughts?
I have a riveted Hewescraft from 1979 that I run the river with and it doesn't leak a drop.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
My understanding is that a welded boat is better for heavier motors and more aggressive use (ie shallow rocky and ledge-y rivers where you could whack something). I’ve been running various riveted AL boats for a while now and never had a significant issue, despite running and rowing them in shallow rocky rivers. One boat was built in ‘72 and it leaked a little but nothing concerning and barely noticeable as compared to the water you’ll get from getting in and out of the boat a few times.

Long and short is that to me welded be riveted doesn’t matter.

On a lake you’ll want to consider something with some shape. A deep v or at least a mod v, I wouldn’t go shallow v or flat cause you’ll get bounced around with some wind

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I’ve owned a few aluminum boats.
The only downside in my opinion are most are made to fish with multiple people, meaning multiple bench seats.
The back bench in particular take up fishing space and the back seat puts the rod at an odd angle if the want to lay it down and troll around.
A boat with a single middle seat like prams offer is a better fishing layout if you could find one with that layout. Probably not a lot of options out there for that. Again, just my opinion. A flat floor is helpful as well.

If you plan to use it for other activities or fish multiple people, motor etc disregard my post.
SF

Last edited:

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have a 12 ft boat made in 1972, it's riveted and hasn't leaked a drop. It sits in lake water from spring til fall.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Welded or riveted is irrelevant. Quality design and workmanship is what matters. Consider that all the jet airplanes you fly in are riveted. None of them are welded.

I have a 2003 Lund. It is riveted. I like Lunds because I know from long work experience that they tolerate care that ranges from benign neglect to outright abuse and continue to function very well. Lunds are not great row boats, however. I think they are all designed to be pushed with a motor.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Welded or riveted is irrelevant. Quality design and workmanship is what matters.
I think this is the way to think about it. Quality companies make quality products. Shitty companies make shitty products.

With, of course, a heaping helping of “how well was it cared for?” if buying used.

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
I have an Alumacraft without bench seats. I used it for several years on the sound fishing SRC. No problems. Very open floor plan. I believe it is the 14.5 fisherman model.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Welded or riveted is irrelevant. Quality design and workmanship is what matters. Consider that all the jet airplanes you fly in are riveted. None of them are welded.

I have a 2003 Lund. It is riveted. I like Lunds because I know from long work experience that they tolerate care that ranges from benign neglect to outright abuse and continue to function very well. Lunds are not great row boats, however. I think they are all designed to be pushed with a motor.
I’ll echo Salmo_g’s thought About Lunds. They take a lot of abuse. If you look at the one I fish out of, the only enduring feature is it doesn’t leak,… much. It gets pounded in the salt quite a bit. Paint is peeling off. Oh yeah, same vintage as Salmo’s. It’s a great beach boat.

i was looking at what a 14 foot SSV would cost to replace,… make the realize I’ll do what I can to get another 20 years out of it.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have a 14' 1995 Valco that is a great lake boat and it's just big enough I can take it on the sound. And the former owner put boards in it so it has lots of walking & casting room while still having seats for 4 or even 5. It's a riveted boat and a couple have been sheered off from me and the former owner. A couple are "fixed" with goop and one that usually above the water line has duct tape over it. ;)

I can fish all day by myself (like at Mayfield pretending to catch musky) and it ends up with a gallon or so in it. Not a big deal. With 2 guys, it's probably twice that. Either way, it's not bad enough to really worry if the boat is riveted or welded. I'll fix them eventually when I get tired of too much water.

I can't imagine changing to a boat that has all benches or even 2 benches. I love the open space and ability to walk from back to front with only 1 step onto a pretty nice casting platform without having to step over benches.

Good luck!

D

Deleted member 1337

I would get a flat bottom pram so that you can stand on the very edge to pee, and it is still stable.

I use a 1232 Lowe more than anything. 20# lead pyramid Anchors front and back with Scotty. I mounted Five Scotty rod holders in strategic spots. I use an HD sidescan/downscan humminbird Helix 9 with the widescreen. I have a couple of outboards and electric trolling motors, but I mostly use my 3hp 4 stroke.

When this thing dies I will get a much more stable craft. It is small enough to handle all by myself though, which is why i keep it for now.

I did by a very small pramthat is only 6' long for Laura this year, with a 2.5 hp honda 4 stroke. It is set up identically except it only has two rod holders and uses 15# lead pyramid anchors. The hummingbird Helix 9 on it is not a sidescan or downscan. It is Just a regular one.

They are both fishing machines.

Last edited by a moderator:

kerrys

Ignored Member
I love my 1996 Klamath 14'. It is welded and has no leaks.
FWIW
I have a 12’ Klamath that is likely a mid-eighties vintage. Biggest 12 footer I’ve seen. Not sure what the beam is but the boat is wide and stable. I’ve fished it in lakes and the lower Skagit. I have even used it for crabbing. Welded, no leaks. Great little boat.

tatross

Smolt
Forum Supporter
a very nice boat for lake use is this version. Bought for rental use because there has been very limited availabilty in this type of boat on the market recently. My guess for longevity in that appication 3 years before cracks start to develo.p in the welds. For use as a weekend/ recreational purpose it will hold up much longer.

Attachments

• 20220830_135908.jpg
    20220830_135908.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35

tatross

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Image of the part of the boneyard of lund boats that have been going strong for 30 plus years in the rental business. these boats have seen some serious abuse.

Attachments

• 20220830_135618.jpg
    20220830_135618.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36

RPL/LL

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
This would be a good one for ya..Valco Westcoaster all welded. Up for grabs parents would like it to go to good home. Heading up this wkend to give it a look over. Hit up if interested

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220826-094807.png
    Screenshot_20220826-094807.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 26