All around beach spinning setup?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'm looking for something inexpensive, travel capable and enough to to handle medium-ish sized roosters. Are there any 4pc ugly sticks? Apologies for lack of googling on my part if there are.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Wow, not much out there. i should have asked, how long, what line and lure weights and what power? Keep forgetting most mfr's make only 2 pc and when you get over 9 ft, they start getting really heavy..

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
The Okuma Nomad would be your best bet. A MH or H should be plenty enough for that. One of those in an MH is probably about the same fish fighting power as a 10-11wt I'd wager. My friend has a couple and I was pretty impressed with them in my limited experience.

For reel, I'm all about the Shimano Spheros.

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I liked the Okuma SST Medium action (it one of their salmon rods) until a grandkid wandered off with it. 9'6" version would routinely toss 4 ounces of lead but had more than enough feel to make catching surf perch fun.

Chucker

Steelhead
I have had my ass kicked so many times using inexpensive spinning rods on mean warm water fish. Not that its not fun to have that happen, but if you actually want to land them you might want to get something that is better quality and heavier than you might think.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Wow, not much out there. i should have asked, how long, what line and lure weights and what power? Keep forgetting most mfr's make only 2 pc and when you get over 9 ft, they start getting really heavy..

That's just it. I really don't know. like the rod Evan mentions, something with the power of a 10 or 11wt rod. But the trick is finding a 4pc model.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
That's just it. I really don't know. like the rod Evan mentions, something with the power of a 10 or 11wt rod. But the trick is finding a 4pc model.
I travel with 2pc gear rods all the time and have seen it done countless times in alaska. Never had a problem. I just flew with 2 yesterday. You can put them in a cut to fit cardboard tube like what you would use for shipping or, you can just rubber band them together and carry them in your hand like I did yesterday.

I’ve seen fully rigged rods with treble hooks and barbs brought on planes in alaska lol.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Maybe the trick here is NOT looking for SURF rods per se, but longer standard spinning rods in the line and weight range you want... again, the offerings from Okuma come to mind, but so do Penn and Tsunami. They just won't be inexpensive.

From personal experience with the Ugly Stik Big Water rods, once you reach the 20-40 lb range, they get really thick and heavy ,with 1 and 2 PC being the norm. Even the surf versions are like that .

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I have had my ass kicked so many times using inexpensive spinning rods on mean warm water fish. Not that its not fun to have that happen, but if you actually want to land them you might want to get something that is better quality and heavier than you might think.

Your personal rump was kicked or the rod failed you n some way? One of those isn't the rods; fault... :LOL:

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Yeah I've never quite understood the appeal of using way too light gear or leader for the target species. Some guys love the bragging rights I guess. Me, I'd rather be overgunnded than undergunned. I hate not being in charge of the fight.

Chucker

Steelhead
Yeah I've never quite understood the appeal of using way too light gear or leader for the target species. Some guys love the bragging rights I guess. Me, I'd rather be overgunnded than undergunned. I hate not being in charge of the fight.

In my case, It’s about choosing appropriate gear for the average fish and accepting that if you hook a monster, you are not going to land it. A bit like fishing a 5 or 6 weight for SRC, knowing that if you hook a 20 pound king you are not even in the game.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
TFO has multi peice gear rods for traveling.