Alaska Float Fly Recs

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
That's it! Funny, I looked on that site and didn't see it. Good find. We were using sink tips with it but I recall it being weighted. Maybe try both? I think that might be the key--having a variety of things to try if/when one things stops working. You might find that you're on a bunch of fish, hook 15 and then they just stop biting. That's when you want to have some other things to try. Folks have suggested some good ideas. I remember one time where what I described happened, and I put on a copper & gold kreelex and started hooking up again.
You may find fish in slack water that require a more subtle, stealthy approach at times.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
@DimeBrite you're killing me here man. haha Hard to tell in the pic but there are 5 chartreuse and 5 pink traditional clousers in there plus 6 chartreuse and 6 pink flash clousers. I'll get some chartreuse ESL in there though. Point taken on lack of chartreuse. Everyone hammers on having pink pink pink but as a Puget Sound coho fisherman I should have known better and included more chartreuse.

@Noah Cohn thanks for the tips. I have a selection of 6-10mm beads in there. Tried to get a variety of colors based on recs. Will Dolly Llamas not effectively imitate a sculpin? I have neglected sculpin specific patterns I suppose. I'm pretty loaded on foam mouse patterns (upper left in pic). I was just looking at the box and thought some orange would be a good idea. I've had good luck with orange in the salt especially later in the season. Maybe I'll swing by to chat one of these days.

NBC

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
@mtskibum16 Dolly's will work effectively but sometimes it can be nice to throw a lighter sculpin pattern. I've found those Dolly's get heavy after a few days of casting them. I'll dig around in my old boxes and see if I can't find any flies. Those mice will definitely work as well, I've just had great success with Mr. Hanky. Come on by anytime, I'd love to chat and answer any questions I can. I've also got an airflo pike/musky line spooled up on a lampson liquid that you're free to take with you if you need any backup line/reel combos. I'll take a look and see if there's any other gear I've got laying around that may be helpful.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Flies get chewed up in Alaska fast. You need plenty. I was amazed at how fast my clousers and other key flies disappeared.

JayB

Steelhead
I'm strongly considering trying to organize a float and that river for my best friend and I for my 50th. If anyone has recommendations in terms of when to go, what outfitter to go with, and an approximate figure for what I should budget I'd really appreciate any suggestions or intel either here or via PM.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
I'm strongly considering trying to organize a float and that river for my best friend and I for my 50th. If anyone has recommendations in terms of when to go, what outfitter to go with, and an approximate figure for what I should budget I'd really appreciate any suggestions or intel either here or via PM.
I will update with our experience after we get back.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Done! If you think I’m missing something keep it to yourself 😉😂 Condensed it all down to a Cliff Bugger Beast Jr and a Plano 3600 (plus a few small boxes of regular trout kinda stuff for grayling). Somewhere around 200 flies tied for the trip but I stopped counting quite a while ago.
BC3E9F65-93E4-4AA1-8210-DCB3C271455B.jpeg

DA773B3B-9094-4898-8B49-0E1C71FDA95F.jpeg

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Done! If you think I’m missing something keep it to yourself 😉😂 Condensed it all down to a Cliff Bugger Beast Jr and a Plano 3600 (plus a few small boxes of regular trout kinda stuff for grayling). Somewhere around 200 flies tied for the trip but I stopped counting quite a while ago.
View attachment 29042

View attachment 29043
With that many options, you are sure to get skunked… 😳

Ps: diggin’ those round plastic flies ya got there. Bet those took some effort to tie up?