Adjustable Sighters

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I tested out another product and updated the post. I'm not going to test out any more products, because the last two are already better than what I was using.
Sounds like you need to call up the manufacturer, get your own packaging, add a 300% markup. Soon enough you'll have your product on tacticalflyfisher.com!

How do you remove it from the tippet? Paper towel? Hands?

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Sounds like you need to call up the manufacturer, get your own packaging, add a 300% markup. Soon enough you'll have your product on tacticalflyfisher.com!

How do you remove it from the tippet? Paper towel? Hands?

Hands and water. Both products take a bit of rubbing, to remove, but they both come off in flakes (not a sticky mess). It is much better, IMO.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've been using Skaffars sighter wax, for the last year or so. It enables me to run 6ft of tippet and paint on a sighter, when I'm fishing shallower, so I don't have to adjust my tippet length and/or angle of entry. However, it has two flaws.

1. It is wax and you need to press the line against it, with your finger, so it is a bit messy. It's equally messy to remove.

2. It's not very opaque. My guess is that the product is basically just pigment and wax. The result is something more like Amnesia (transparent) than proper sighter mono (opaque). Under sunlight, it glows and has better visibility than sighter mono. However, it is difficult to see under shade.

I've started experimenting with alternatives and I'm going to document my experiences here. Assume Skaffars gets a score of 5/10, on all attributes.
  • Crafty Croc Liquid Chalk Markers
    • https://a.co/d/2aJv36E
    • 10/10 visibility; good colors and completely opaque.
    • 10/10 application; one pass of the pen tip is sufficient and causes no mess.
    • 0/10 durability; comes off too easily, in water.
    • 7/10 mess; can apply cleanly and very easy to remove (from anything), but will transfer on contact.
  • ArtShip Design Acrylic Paint Pens
    • https://a.co/d/d2w4FuL
    • 7/10 visibility; good colors, but not fully opaque.
    • 7/10 application; you can use the pen tip, but you need multiple passes.
    • 7/10 durability; once dry, it is very durable.
    • 10/10 mess; can apply cleanly, flakes off when removed and doesn't transfer easily.
  • Plata Chalk Markers
    • https://a.co/d/53Bs2XH
    • 8/10 visibility; fully opaque, but the colors are not as vibrant.
    • 10/10 application; one pass of the pen tip gets the job done.
    • 10/10 durability; this stuff is actually difficult to get off.
    • 10/10 mess; applies cleanly, doesn't transfer easily and is easy to remove from your hands.
It is a close call, between the ArtShip and Plata products. I think that both are better than Skafars. My needs are met, so I don't plan to try out any other products. I'll probably use the Plata pens, even though it takes a bit of work to remove it from the line; the better visibility and easier application seem to be worth it.
This is awesome, thanks! Just ordered some of the Platas.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I just had an idea of maybe sliding a few inch section of some type of braid over the tippet? Maybe the lightest dacron or gel spun you can get? Thread the tippet through that and use something tacky to get it to stay in place. Slide it up and down the tippet as needed.

I just thought of it reading this thread, so I don't know if it would be too heavy for 6 or 7x tippet, but I would think backing barrels would have more of an effect on your drift. Could also be a real pain to thread light tippet through it.
I thought that about backing barrels, too, then I read that Troutbitten had studied it and it’s the same affect another inch or two in length has on the drift.

I’ve noticed no real difference but mostly I’ve been using backing barrels on my kid’s line and wax (soon to be markers!) on mine.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
One extra thing to consider... given how durable the Plata pens are, you can actually use them on your butt/taper to improve visibility.

I'm running Chameleon again, because I can't find any OG red Amnesia in the diameters that I want. Suffix is OK, but it is softer and less visible (much more transparent). It's not a good butt material, IMO. I'm going to start using the Plata pens, on the Chameleon, to help with visibility.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I'm running Chameleon again, because I can't find any OG red Amnesia in the diameters that I want
Is this OG red?
1664387188929.png
I'm not familiar with EN lines. What diameter do you use?

One thing I've noticed fishing (even the brightest neon) orange level Tenkara fluoro line is it tends to disappear when I and the line are in the shade and there is a bright background.
Are you able to track the red in shade and other low light conditions?

Lime yellow fluoro Tenkara line stands out real well in low light. This helps explain why.
1664389791184.png
On rare occasions it can blend into bright green vegetation in bright sunlight. But for the #3 lines I typically fish I bloodknot a nylon Orvis 0X (neon) orange - (neon) chartreuse - white sighter, and more recently a foot or so of .009 Seaguar fluoro ending in a tippet ring for a small taper and a little more stealth.

Japanese and Western fishing lines metrics and scales
1664391166601.png

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Is this OG red?
View attachment 34427
I'm not familiar with EN lines. What diameter do you use?

One thing I've noticed fishing (even the brightest neon) orange level Tenkara fluoro line is it tends to disappear when I and the line are in the shade and there is a bright background.
Are you able to track the red in shade and other low light conditions?

Lime yellow fluoro Tenkara line stands out real well in low light. This helps explain why.
View attachment 34437
On rare occasions it can blend into bright green vegetation in bright sunlight. But for the #3 lines I typically fish I bloodknot a nylon Orvis 0X (neon) orange - (neon) chartreuse - white sighter, and more recently a foot or so of .009 Seaguar fluoro ending in a tippet ring for a small taper and a little more stealth.

Japanese and Western fishing lines metrics and scales
View attachment 34448

Thanks for the input!

The short version is that red Amnesia has changed color and the new color is no good. Any stores still carrying the old color would have very old stock, so it's probably approaching the end of its shelf life.

Tenkara lines weigh too much, for euro nymphing, unfortunately. We don't have the benefit of a super long rod, so density matters a lot.

Red Amnesia is a bit difficult to see under shade, because it isn't fully opaque. However, it is mostly opaque. It is far easier to see than colored Stren or Suffix, for example. The only opaque mono on the entire market that has sufficient stiffness is OPST Lazar. However, that isn't available in diameters smaller than 0.017in. Believe me when I say that the euro crowd have tried everything; the competition scene provides significant motivation for finding better gear.

My typical leader tapers from 0.015in, down to 0.006in. Most folks just have a few feet of proper sighter mono, before their tippet. However, I like to be able to see the entire leader. That makes it easier to deal with tangles and also trace down to the actual sighter mono, when it is hard to see.

The link below goes into more detail and the comments touch on the use of Tenkara lines, if you're interested.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I swear I read about hi-viz pink maxima somewhere a few years ago.

Have you tried the sempe material? I saw that on tactical flyfisher. Comes in lots of different colors. I don't know if it is stiff or not, looks like people use in in really small diameters, people use it for the "all sighter" micro leader. I've been meaning to pick up the multi colored spools. I've worked down to a 6lb chameleon butt, but haven't gone to all sighter, chameleon just handles so well.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I swear I read about hi-viz pink maxima somewhere a few years ago.

Have you tried the sempe material? I saw that on tactical flyfisher. Comes in lots of different colors. I don't know if it is stiff or not, looks like people use in in really small diameters, people use it for the "all sighter" micro leader. I've been meaning to pick up the multi colored spools. I've worked down to a 6lb chameleon butt, but haven't gone to all sighter, chameleon just handles so well.

I've spent enough money on leader materials already. I can't justify buying more, unless I'm sure it will meet my needs. I have seen the Sempe stuff, but couldn't find any information about it.

In any case, these paint pens work well enough that I can use Chameleon and just make it more visible.