7'6" 4 wt 2 piece 2 tips

Kado

Steelhead
Building for a friend to use on the Yak. Not sure about the taper yet. One tip section ready for heat treating. Still have some node straightening and rough planing on the other sections...
My ankle is sore, so no fishing for a little while.

Attachments

• IMG_2944.jpg
    IMG_2944.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2945.jpg
    IMG_2945.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 22

Kado

Steelhead
Ready to heat treat.
This is for a buddy that’s never fished bamboo before but is an avid fly fisher. I was thinking of a small stream dry fly taper. I’d normally experiment a little, but I don’t want to mess up his impression of bamboo with possibly a less than proven taper.
It’ll be 7’6” anywhere from a 3wt to 5wt.
Any suggestions as to a taper? I have an idea for one, but figured it’d be a good idea to brainstorm a little before I start final planing.
Thx for input,
Mark

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
A Dickerson 7613 (7'6") is a great transition taper for a plastic convert. Pretty fast action and really a sweet casting rod. If you want, you can cast mine for an idea of the action.

Mike

Kado

Steelhead
A Dickerson 7613 (7'6") is a great transition taper for a plastic convert. Pretty fast action and really a sweet casting rod. If you want, you can cast mine for an idea of the action.

Mike
Thanks Mike. I'll do some research on it.
Mark

Kado

Steelhead
I decided to take your advice and am going with the Dickerson 7613. I was going to go with a Perfectionist as I really like mine, but after reading the posts, this sounds like a great taper and my buddy could even throw the occasional small streamer with it. Sounds great for the Yak as an all purpose rod. I have to admit I'm curious as to how it feels, so I can't wait to throw a line on it when done.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Mark

Kado

Steelhead
I'll let the glue set another day and unbind them tomorrow. Then get to remove the glue. I scrape the glue off with a scraper, it seems to work better for me than sandpaper and I feel I am less likely to remove too many of the 'power fibers'. Always fun to wiggle the sections and start to get the 'personality' of the rod.

Attachments

• IMG_2996.jpg
    IMG_2996.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2998.jpg
    IMG_2998.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2995.jpg
    IMG_2995.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 19

Kado

Steelhead
This would be embarrassing if I had any pride, but when attaching the grip and reel seat, I misaligned the insert where the reel sits by half a hex. It’s an uplocking seat. Is there a way of correcting this?
I was pretty happy with everything until I saw this.

Attachments

• 161FE105-E986-40F5-BA5A-616B9383F9C7.jpeg
    161FE105-E986-40F5-BA5A-616B9383F9C7.jpeg
    328.8 KB · Views: 19

Kado

Steelhead
Well.....if like me, very few trout have actually made it to the reel, it actually makes sense for it to go just a tad to the side. Not sure my buddy will agree though.
Do I have to boil everything off?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Maybe there’s a silver lining/happy accident thing going on?

Years ago a guide in Florida taught me that by offsetting/twisting the upper sections in-line with each other but maybe 45* (or was it 45%? It’s been a while) off from the butt section can keep the line from touching the blank, reducing line friction and increasing distance.

Never had the urge to try it after that trip, but he swore by it.

Kado

Steelhead
If I slowly heat up the cork grip with a heat gun and then rotate the grip to the proper orientation, does the epoxy reset? I suppose I don't really lose anything by trying if I have to destroy the reel seat and grip to get them off. I was really happy with the set up too.....sucks!
I think I've just about got every screw up you can do when building a rod covered.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Maybe there’s a silver lining/happy accident thing going on?

Years ago a guide in Florida taught me that by offsetting/twisting the upper sections in-line with each other but maybe 45* (or was it 45%? It’s been a while) off from the butt section can keep the line from touching the blank, reducing line friction and increasing distance.

Never had the urge to try it after that trip, but he swore by it.
That's a technique called Acid Wrapping on conventional rods. Knew a guy in CA. who used to make custom ones using that method. He closed shop before I could order one, but those who bought one swore they'd never go back to a standard set up.

Kado

Steelhead
Corrected the grip. Test cast today. A 5wt DT felt great. It can still cast a 4wt well. I’m realizing bamboo is so forgiving with the lines.
Giving it to him next week. He should have fun with it in Bend next month.

Attachments

• 9F4B7A0F-32EF-422C-8A79-5C150FB8F4C0.jpeg
    9F4B7A0F-32EF-422C-8A79-5C150FB8F4C0.jpeg
    650.4 KB · Views: 13
  • E74B5CAC-B18F-4790-8954-1CF617593C7D.jpeg
    E74B5CAC-B18F-4790-8954-1CF617593C7D.jpeg
    595.9 KB · Views: 13
  • A0483196-1F0D-402A-A1E0-45E3194728FD.jpeg
    A0483196-1F0D-402A-A1E0-45E3194728FD.jpeg
    588.5 KB · Views: 13