5 weight recommendation?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Looking for something a little longer this time.
Why?

Genuine question. The only time I reach for a longer trout rod is when I'm reaching for my 10'6" euro rod. I fish mostly big water too. I've honestly never felt my 8' Steffen was a hindrance over any 9' 5 wts I've had in the past. While I really liked my 9' 5wt CT, I just never used it. Then again, I'm one of those weirdos who likes quieter reels, short steelhead rods for swinging, heavyweight glass for muskies and tuna....so I guess there is that.

Edit: Just saw your previous response..... lol. Lakes. Got it.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Avid is getting the super 10 and a air2 for me to cast. I'm not big on wood real seats though. I was also emailing Burkheimer about a DAL.
The 389 DAL is one of the best 4wts I’ve ever used for dries. Never tried nymphing with one.

At one point I was exploring having Kerry roll me a 10’ 4wt for nymphing, but my wife’s company cratered so it got crossed off the purchase list.

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
I have 9’6” bxIII and use it for SRCs, indicator fishing and used to land a few humpies. It’s great for the first 2 but tbh, I’d rather use a 6 wt or a cheaper than $850 rod to mess about with the slimers. One of them was a big ol dog, I just pointed the rod and pulled back till beached.

Dave

Last edited:

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
I cast the super 10, 9'6" Air2, 9'6" standard Burkheimer and a few others. I decided to go with the Burkheimer but waiting on one with a metal reel seat.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm not much of a wordsmith but I guess I could give it a shot.
Don’t need to be a wordsmith to say much. You’ll either like it or not. It will either do what you want or it won’t. I’ll I say is give a few decent outings with different weather fronts, then a nice report on performance in sunny/rainy/windy/snowy conditions, 😆….

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
You might consider the Scott Centric. I have a BIIIx 8’6” 4 weight and it is my favorite small steam trout rod. Has enough feel to be a very solid dry fly rod and enough backbone to be a very good nymph and dropper rod. Not my favorite rod all time to throw dries or fish nymphs but it is high up there for both purposes which is great for a trout rod where you might be deploying different tactics through the day.

The reason I would recommend casting the Centric is the potential for a similar dynamic exists in that rod. I only own a 7 weight and I find the combination of power and feel is very similar to my 6 weight Radian which is the only 6 weight I own where I’d be comfortable casting dries all day with if needed. I also use it often for streamer fishing and it’s great. You don’t need to hear it from me. The Radian’s praise has been sung for years now. Like the BIIIx, both the Radian and Centric are what I would consider multi purpose rods that do a very solid job across the board. Just another to consider. It’s a fast rod but she handles well :).

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
You might consider the Scott Centric. I have a BIIIx 8’6” 4 weight and it is my favorite small steam trout rod. Has enough feel to be a very solid dry fly rod and enough backbone to be a very good nymph and dropper rod. Not my favorite rod all time to throw dries or fish nymphs but it is high up there for both purposes which is great for a trout rod where you might be deploying different tactics through the day.

The reason I would recommend casting the Centric is the potential for a similar dynamic exists in that rod. I only own a 7 weight and I find the combination of power and feel is very similar to my 6 weight Radian which is the only 6 weight I own where I’d be comfortable casting dries all day with if needed. I also use it often for streamer fishing and it’s great. You don’t need to hear it from me. The Radian’s praise has been sung for years now. Like the BIIIx, both the Radian and Centric are what I would consider multi purpose rods that do a very solid job across the board. Just another to consider. It’s a fast rod but she handles well :).
I cast a 6 wt centric. It's easy to cast but faster than what I was looking for.

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
Got it a couple of weeks ago. Took it out to the beach today to try it out. Looks good, fit and finish isn't perfect but far better than any other new rods I have seen. It's fun to cast, not super fast. If I did my part it would go 80' fairly easy with a 40+. Not what I got it for but wanted to get it wet. With that being said I didn't hook anything so the rod isn't worth a shit. I can follow up after using it on a lake.

IMG_20230319_140757368_HDR.jpg