5 weight recommendation?

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
My dad had a Winston 9'6" 5 weight BIIIX aluminum reel seat and fighting butt. I really liked that rod and was wondering what current rods people would equate it to? It wasn't super fast and would bend into the handle with a humpy on the other end.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Scudley,

Always dug Winstons. Never have had one. Best rod I ever cast was a Winston, 5 wt, Boron Rod. This was about 15 ish years back. It belonged to a friend of mine.

Maybe call Winston and talk to them. See what they suggest.

Enjoy the search.

Bob

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
I have a 9’ 5wt. B3X and I really like it. It’s a good all around rod and nicely made. None of my other 5wts are similar. I tend to use it indicator fishing or with a hopper/dropper. I’d look for one on the used market if I were you and put an add for WTB on the Classifieds Forum.

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
My dad had a Winston 9'6" 5 weight BIIIX aluminum reel seat and fighting butt. I really liked that rod and was wondering what current rods people would equate it to? It wasn't super fast and would bend into the handle with a humpy on the other end.
Take a look at the Sage XP. That might be about the same and can be found in 2pc or 4pc. I’ll bet you like it.

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
Avid is getting the super 10 and a air2 for me to cast. I'm not big on wood real seats though. I was also emailing Burkheimer about a DAL.

Reactions: RCF

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
5 weights are a conundrum. It’s why I have only a 583-4 DS and that’s for hikes and easy transport. I have gone with a 3-4 weight mostly for my trout ventures with a 6 or 7 being the streamer rod.
I’m curious to try this new Echo Trout X fly rod in a 5 weight. Maybe add a legit 5 weight to my arsenal.

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
I actually roll with my Steffen 8' 5/6. I like it with a 5.5 or a 6, most folks coming straight from a faster graphite will live it with a 5. I'm going on 16 years with that rod...exactly zero reason to change.
I have a 8' 5 weight lami blank to build for my kids first rod. Not in too much of a hurry since he just turned three. Looking for something a little longer this time.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
5 weights are a conundrum. It’s why I have only a 583-4 DS and that’s for hikes and easy transport. I have gone with a 3-4 weight mostly for my trout ventures with a 6 or 7 being the streamer rod.
I’m curious to try this new Echo Trout X fly rod in a 5 weight. Maybe add a legit 5 weight to my arsenal.
I’m with you, even though I have two really nice 5s I use a combination of other rods so much more.

RCF

Life of the Party

Point of clarification please... Are you looking for a 5 weight or a rod for humpies? If humpies I would recommend a 6 or 7 weight. Can you catch a humpy on a 5 weight? Absolutely. Since humpies are normally heavier in weight and such a scrappy fighter I would want a bit more rod. That could just be me though...

If you want a 5 weight and used the humpy as a way to describe the action of a rod a 5 weight you are just fine.

I would suggest that what you are fishing for be a little clearer or more defined.

Last edited: