2022 Garden Thread

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
About every other day I pick a fist full. Stor fried, steamed etc. this is my bumber crop year for dow gauk( Mosaic) I have grown red noodle and the traditional green Asian ourced type years ago. I like Mosaic best for productivity and ease of finding them on a trellisD4C2A7F8-3894-45C8-9562-F3992A49C284.jpeg

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Have a 60” tall biennial broccoli pair in the tiny alley garden letting go to seedand grow through the winter. I have had them in years past live and grow for almost 3 seasons . Other garden shots this evening. Giant bishops hat pepper i have picked about 40 peppers off of. I pick the green- still some tomatoes. One of my crosses (9 seasons and seemed stable)decided to revert to a red headed step child of its parentage.C36A2A47-9D1F-4066-9669-92AC275150EE.jpegEC2E02EC-6B51-4738-B575-A157A25E0525.jpeg8171DF3B-9843-4824-99EE-9DAA6EEBF5CC.jpeg8171DF3B-9843-4824-99EE-9DAA6EEBF5CC.jpeg

Attachments

• FAE29A9D-60F0-42B7-9C3C-0D83CF9CEAB9.jpeg
    FAE29A9D-60F0-42B7-9C3C-0D83CF9CEAB9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yesterdays canning. Pickled chiogga beets, pickled mixed beans and grape jelly from thr 10.5 lbs of red grapes above. Found out the recipe for the grape jelly was flawed. First batch half set. 3.5 lbs of grapes one packet of sure-gell not enough so adjusted to add a 1/4 cup of fresh cider and another half pacet of pectin. Worked great70435A03-4659-4BF3-837B-503987FC3363.jpeg6921CD9C-19D3-4BBC-B61E-F5293820F602.jpeg

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I made a salad from the garden.

But we are not eating it. Its getting sauteed in oil and onion and garlic, then blended with vinegar and a bunch of secret seasonings and herbs various elixers and cooked to be canned as my newest hot sauce. 6 different peppers 4 that are at varios heat levels 2 that are sweet.
The white on top that looks like pasta is Aji white fantasy.6CF6E9A6-42B2-4F13-AED4-9495F08ADB33.jpeg

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This year I planted a Black Krim tomato for the first time. Our early summer weather was not great for 'maters, but things finally got into gear in July. The Krim turned out to be the best producer, with more than two dozen fist-sized fruits. BUT…..they taste terrible! As in eating one is a punishment. They taste of rot, putrefaction. They are literally inedible. Have any of you grown Black Krims? If they are actually supposed to taste like tomatoes. If so, any idea what went wrong? The Early Girl and Big Beef planted 3 feet on either side turned out just fine, albeit not heavy bearers.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
This year I planted a Black Krim tomato for the first time. Our early summer weather was not great for 'maters, but things finally got into gear in July. The Krim turned out to be the best producer, with more than two dozen fist-sized fruits. BUT…..they taste terrible! As in eating one is a punishment. They taste of rot, putrefaction. They are literally inedible. Have any of you grown Black Krims? If they are actually supposed to taste like tomatoes. If so, any idea what went wrong? The Early Girl and Big Beef planted 3 feet on either side turned out just fine, albeit not heavy bearers.
Been growing 30 years. There is no accounting for taste let alone being accurately descriptive about how something tastes to someone else. Itend to like dark shouldered Russian and Easreern european tomatoes. Make an appt with a doctor. ;)

HOG

GOTY’s mum’s favorite ghillie

Soil pH? Soil texture? Water pH? Abiotic/biotic stress events? So many variables. Basic chemistry-based soil analysis and petiole analysis would be good start. They aren’t expensive, even less so if it allows the veggies to be edible

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Were the fruits nice and firm? Was there possibly some blossom end rot not noticed on the darker krim? We have a terrible calcium problem and have blossom rot issues. As I recall we did get some good krims, but romas and some others just don't work. We have success sticking with cherries and the heirloom yellow pears.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Were the fruits nice and firm? Was there possibly some blossom end rot not noticed on the darker krim? We have a terrible calcium problem and have blossom rot issues. As I recall we did get some good krims, but romas and some others just don't work. We have success sticking with cherries and the heirloom yellow pears.
Blossom end rot is a condition not caused by a disease. Besides the usual reason all over the internet of calcium it can be even simpler… hot weather multiple watering daily and soil that hold water below the surface and does not disperse properly . Thoroughly mixing soil and amendments or if in a deep container the plugging of drain holes

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Blossom end rot is a condition not caused by a disease. Besides the usual reason all over the internet of calcium it can be even simpler… hot weather multiple watering daily and soil that hold water below the surface and does not disperse properly . Thoroughly mixing soil and amendments or if in a deep container the plugging of drain holes
Our soil drains quickly, but in the heat of a walla walla summer the watering thing might be part of it. The guy at the shop who ran the soils said a common reason here for low calcium is the amount of water used.
It's just getting harder to grow stuff. Used to grow good spinach, but climate change now causes ideal mildew conditions. Used to be a lot of truck farms, not much any more. I'm more shifting to flowers, lowers the water bill substantially too.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Our soil drains quickly, but in the heat of a walla walla summer the watering thing might be part of it. The guy at the shop who ran the soils said a common reason here for low calcium is the amount of water used.
It's just getting harder to grow stuff. Used to grow good spinach, but climate change now causes ideal mildew conditions. Used to be a lot of truck farms, not much any more. I'm more shifting to flowers, lowers the water bill substantially too.
I ya ked out 3 tomato plants in 7 gallon containers this year. This seed rotation year gave me an opportunity to thin out my 60 varieties i have been saving. Some heirloom varietals are prone to BER. Earle of edgecomb and Orange banana that i got from a fly fishing Seattle gardener about 20 years ago. Some seed gets stored and planted only every 4-5 years. They are not faves so this will be an easy purge. The containers usually get some drainage rock in the bottom so the openings do not plug up and inhibit drainage. With the hotter weather here and more daily watering it is bound to happen

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
20221005_212939.jpg
What the hell is wrong with my corn???

First tomato the GD chickens didn't pillage. Found it knocked on the ground tonight, probably from the chickens, could of ripened a bit longer but flavor was good, Rosela Cherry tomato.
20221005_213355.jpg

20221005_213418.jpg

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter