NFR 2022 Baseball Thread

Non-fishing related

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I used to keep up with the players when I was younger. I liked the Brooklyn Dodgers, now I can't remember one named player. They are all probably dead by now. A little later I followed Atlanta. Same result. Then I tried to follow the Seattle team. I don't think that todays team has any players that were there the last few years. Mitch walbanger(I suck at last names) is still there. But don't see anybody else that was around. Maybe I should just quit trying to remember who's who and just watch teams and not comment because I forgot it all.

But fishing I damn near remember where I caught them and where I caught it at.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
But fishing I damn near remember where I caught them and where I caught it at.
This for sure. Being mid-September, I smell overripe blackberries on the bushes and I go back in my mind to 1977 when my brother and I geared up with my late-father's 1960's garcia mitchell 300, some old fenwick fiberglass rod and pencil lead rig. One rod between the two of us 9 and 12 year olds. We bought some boraxed eggs from the store. We had watched other guys in previous days wade out in a 200 yard long sweeping drift on our big coastal river and put a long cast and eventually catch these super-blimped white and silver Jack salmon.

We peddled to the river right after school on our bikes and found no one was in the drift. Short story now long, after a few long cast and drifts I felt the first real nibbles of an ocean fresh 3 lb black jack and set the hook! I'll never forget how tough a battle that was. Bonked him and handed the rod to my little brother. I was admiring that fish.. like @Stonedfish says, probably pet all the scales off that thing..and looked up to see my little brother doing battle. He landed a deep shouldered, beautiful sea-liced twin to mine. Fish were hooked, now we were hooked. We were no longer sucker fishing kids, but salmon angling young men.

Mid-September always brings me back to that first salmon.

Baseball content? That was the fall of the first Mariners season winding up in '77 !

Last edited:

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Anyone else enjoy seeing Albert Pujols pull ahead of JLoRod to be number 4 on the all time HR list?
I hope he can reach 700 this year if he decides to hang up his cleats.
SF

Absolutely pulling for him. One of the good guys, though he would have been better served not leaving Saint Louis in the first place, but glad he returned. I think he'll get to 700, sure hope so, that would put him only 55 behind the all-time HR king (Mr. Aaron - we don't count the cheaters).

cheers

Last edited:

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Speaking of batting stances, compare Albert's menacing crouch to the Dodger's Cody Bellinger. Bellinger's stance can best be described as fence post erect and his uppercut swing results in few connections and a .200 average.
As a Brooklyn Dodger fan since 1948 I cringe every time he comes to bat knowing he will probably fan the air for another out. A frustrating guy to watch as he is one of the very best center fielders in baseball but just can't make contact at the plate and refuses to alter his all or nothing swing.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Five more wins and I consider the Mariners season a great success.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I'm starting to have doubt's on the Mariners making the play offs. People they were beating last month are now beating them. If they do make them, the way they are playing would make them a quick exit.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Last edited:

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
and now he may be gone for the year? the SI cover jinx !!

Hope he doesn't end up as one of those super-talented players who can never stay on the field - Royal's have one of those in Aldoberto Mondesi, feel really bad for him.