10ft Echo Ion XL Input

BriGuy

Life of the Party
I put some trust in the manufacturers. If they rate a reel as a 7 weight, I would think that it should be in the ballpark when used with just about any 7 weight rod. Sure, there are variations, and that's where trying before buying comes in -- especially for higher dollar gear.

In my case, I test casted an Ion 6 weight rod and liked it, so I figured the 7 weight I wanted to order would be similar -- especially in the $200 price range. Turns out that I was right. As I mentioned, my Ion and reel combo is a bit heavy in hand, and I'm fine with that. It balances just fine for walking on trails holding the tip up.

Test, test, test if you can -- especially when you're spending lots of cash.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
On a tip heavy rod, say bamboo with a light reel for an example, I find the "stop" portion of the cast, especially on the forward cast, not to be crisp, and I tend to drop the tip at the end of a cast. When it's closer to balanced it I get crisper stops and less drift, especially when tired. Maybe that's just me and my casting faults. I also don't like to work to hold it when I walk.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Honestly, I can see why Jared is asking about this. He does a ton of euro-nymphing where balance points may mean more (although, as mentioned prior, it's pretty easy to adjust one's position on the grip). I know that I like one specific reel for my euro rod over another waaaay lighter one for that very reason. Just for fun though, I put together a couple of my 10wts (very different rods which are similar in actual weight, but very different 'feel' in hand) with several reels with lines that I routinely use with said rods. The "balance" point was all over the place yet it really isn't something I'm thinking about when actually fishing.

Divad

Whitefish
I would not want to euro nymph this rod if you're planning to do that. I did that this last summer on some spots where the bobber didn't work out of necessity, and the fat modulus graphite is not the most sensitive.

The additional weight of the rod is throughout the build. I did smack it a few times with 4 gram "flies", no problems. 🤜🪵

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
FWIW, I've got a 6wt 9ft ion and its been a champ. I can't say I think much about the overall weight or balance point. Standing in a shop playing with rods, that stuff is noticeable, I suppose. Out on the water I can't say that it has ever crossed my mind. It's just a fishy rod. Well worth the money (like most Echo rods).

G_Smolt

Legend
Been a lot of "souls" in the thread. Which one was taken?
That was a hot take after reading the first page of the thread.
I've since seen the OP define his balance desires, but I still can't imagine getting that high-centered on where to hold a rod.

And for the record (and to be additive to the discussion), the 6wt Echo OHS is a far superior tool for the wide range of applications the OP mentioned. As a bonus, it comes with a (removeable) extended butt section that could probably be weighted appropriately for the "balance sensitive angler".

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I've since seen the OP define his balance desires, but I still can't imagine getting that high-centered on where to hold a rod.

And for the record (and to be additive to the discussion), the 6wt Echo OHS is a far superior tool for the wide range of applications the OP mentioned. As a bonus, it comes with a (removeable) extended butt section that could probably be weighted appropriately for the "balance sensitive angler".

I completely forgot about those rods. Damnit. Now I have to start all over again.

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Jared, have you looked at the Lago? I have a 5wt and LOVE it. I would probably pickup a 6wt if I didn't already have 2 ion xls - the 9' and 10'. The 10' XL for me really comes alive with a 7wt line, but it is a beast for a day of casting. The Lago is more of an "all day" and I would have zero issue using it as a bobber rod. In fact I have sold a few just for that purpose.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Jared, have you looked at the Lago? I have a 5wt and LOVE it. I would probably pickup a 6wt if I didn't already have 2 ion xls - the 9' and 10'. The 10' XL for me really comes alive with a 7wt line, but it is a beast for a day of casting. The Lago is more of an "all day" and I would have zero issue using it as a bobber rod. In fact I have sold a few just for that purpose.
Little secret: The Lago and Indicator are the same rod :D

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter

Thanks for the input. I did consider it. However, if I'm going to extend my budget beyond the Ion, I'm probably gonna big dick it and go straight for the OHS.

Last edited:

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter

I've been called lots of things. You can now add 'balance insensitive' to the list.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Given that I now know the Echo Indicator is the same as the Echo Lago, I'm tempted to buy one and never actually use an indicator on it, just to spite @Long_Rod_Silvers.
Blasphemy!!

In retaliation I'm now contemplating a way to create rocket shipping logs, just for your buddy. I'll secretly follow you to the lake and somehow rig up a bunch of logs wrapped with foam that I can release upon press of a button that will shoot violently to the surface. I can picture it now, your buddy will turn to you and say, "SEE!?? I FUCKING TOLD YOU MAN!!"

It's gonna be hilarious.