10 Foot Rods

Islander

Life of the Party
I have seen and read about people using a 10’ rod over the conventional 9’ when fishing from a pontoon boat or float tube. Any of you folks have experience with this? Does it make any type of difference, good or bad? Or, is it just a new fad, or an excuse to buy a new rod (like I need an excuse). 🤪

O clarkii lewisi

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Islander - check out this recent thread. Not a fad and a good 'excuse' for new rod!

Chris Johnson

Steelhead
A lot of the bobber junkies in B.C. are going to 10'4" rods, I have and echo 10' 5wt that is my chronie rod.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have 10' rods in 3, 4 and 5 weights that I use for both chironomid and nymph fishing, excellent for both. The added length makes cronie fishing much easier in my opinion and for nymphing there seems to be little question that longer is better.

Another advantage that may be debatable is that I seem to cast long distances with more ease than my 9 footers. The ability to hold more line off of the water and mend easy makes stream fishing with dries a little better also.

I view the 10 footers as not a necessity but certainly a convenience. Steve-you are approaching the age where convenience is a necessity!😊

Islander

Life of the Party
I have 10' rods in 3, 4 and 5 weights that I use for both chironomid and nymph fishing, excellent for both. The added length makes cronie fishing much easier in my opinion and for nymphing there seems to be little question that longer is better.

Another advantage that may be debatable is that I seem to cast long distances with more ease than my 9 footers. The ability to hold more line off of the water and mend easy makes stream fishing with dries a little better also.

I view the 10 footers as not a necessity but certainly a convenience. Steve-you are approaching the age where convenience is a necessity!😊
You got that right! Seems like it might be worth trying. Since you mentioned they are good for nymphing, I was also thinking I could use it as a euro-nymphing rod on the river and get double duty out of it. I tried that technique on the river yesterday with just my 9’ and caught fish “high sticking” a nymph and small midge jig. A longer rod would be helpful there also.

FishyJere

Nee Jerry Metcalf
Forum Supporter
I had one, but it hurt my wrist so much I sold it. But then, I am old and arthritic. I did like it and they do work better from toons.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Wait, a new fad to sell fly rods? Never heard of such a thing. ;)

I can see where it would be nice for bobber fishing. However, casting streamers or nymphs on a windy day will probably have you wishing you had the 9 footer. This is the main reason salt water fly rods are all 9'.
And as FishyJere mentioned, a little more torque on the hands, wrist and shoulder.

Why do you want a longer rod?

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I will take a better caster over a 'better rod' any day of the week....
If it truly is a better rod, then a better caster will make it "better better"

This year I'm going to be using a 3wt 11' trout spey for my bobber rod.

Islander

Life of the Party
Wait, a new fad to sell fly rods? Never heard of such a thing. ;)

I can see where it would be nice for bobber fishing. However, casting streamers or nymphs on a windy day will probably have you wishing you had the 9 footer. This is the main reason salt water fly rods are all 9'.
And as FishyJere mentioned, a little more torque on the hands, wrist and shoulder.

Why do you want a longer rod?
Because it’s winter and I’m not fishing or shooting much. Instead, I’m sitting around reading about fishing and shooting and looking at stuff on line. 🤪

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I thought having a 10 foot for indicator fishing would give me an advantage. Seemed to be easier rolling the float, leader, and flies out to where I wanted it. This past year I fished 9 foot rods, and cast about the same distance. It’s more important to relax your cast and have open loops to prevent tangling, than having a longer rod. This isn’t a distance game.

But, having a 10 foot rod in your quiver is always nice.:D

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Because it’s winter and I’m not fishing or shooting much. Instead, I’m sitting around reading about fishing and shooting and looking at stuff on line. 🤪
For sure! Some of us buy stuff for recreation making it Christmas every week! Watching snow accumulate is not a rewarding activity but buying stuff that you look forward to using soon is. I bought a new 6 wt recently in anticipation of fishing a lake where the fish routinely run 20 + inches and were a handful on a 5 wt last year. A little more leverage will get those monsters to the boat a little easier.

At 84, 5'10'' and 165# I have never seen any appreciable difference in casting a 10' over a 9'. The addition of another fraction of an ounce is not that big a deal but the extra reach is. Where I do see a significant difference is between an 8'6'' 3wt and a 10' 3wt. The shorter rod seems more precise and certainly easier to cast. When I broke my shoulder several years ago I bought several shorter rods to use during recovery and they eased the pain while my shoulder strengthened. If you are struggling with a 9' rod due to arthritis or other age related ailments I would urge you to try a shorter rod, especially if you still fish long days. They do cast effortlessly.

For the rest of you big strong guys the addition of another 3/4 ounce is more than worth the added reach you will gain with the longer rods.