Search results

1. Cliff

Past Bamboo Gatherings

It looks like I'll be out of the country during this summer's bamboo rod gathering. That being the case, I thought I would post some photos of one of the first bamboo rod gatherings I ever attended. These photos were taken in May of 2009, at Hancock Lake. There weren't that many of us, but usual...
  2. Cliff

More Acquisitions: Two Phillipson Rods and a Silk Line

It's been a banner couple of weeks for me. I got that Granger 8040 trade rod, along with two Phillipsons and a silk line. The Phillipson rods are an 8-1/2ft 5wt Pacemaker, and a 7-1/2ft 5wt Peerless. The Pacemaker is refinished so I got it for a really decent price. The Peerless might be...
  3. Cliff

Old Faithful Rod Company -Challenger Fly Rod (W&M Granger)

I recently purchased a vintage W&M Granger trade rod under the name "Old Faithful Rod Company", headquartered in Denver, CO, which was the same address as Granger. The rod is the Granger 8040 with the name "Challenger" on the blank. Granger made these rods from secondary components and less...
  4. Cliff

Where to buy 3-Piece Rod Tube

A long shot, but I'm looking for a rod tube that will fit a 3-piece W&M Granger 8040. Thanks, Cliff
  5. Cliff

Bass Leaders

Hello, I will be doing to fishing for bass this season and I'll be using a 7wt rod (I do have an 8wt, however). I will be using a lot of streamers and some bass bugs, both topwater and sinking. None of my flies are huge, I would say moderate in size. I do not have dedicated bass leaders and...
  6. Cliff

Tying Soft Hackle Flies

Hello, I'm going to start tying some old fashioned wet flies and I will start with the classic Partridge & Orange pattern. It looks pretty straightforward, but I'm not sure what size hook to use. I've not really fished these old fashioned wet flies much and I'm unsure which size would be the...
  7. Cliff

Stonefly Nymphs - Weighted or Not?

I have a question about tying and fishing stonefly nymphs. I generally fish smaller streams and I don't often fish stoneflies, but I will probably be able to get to some good Idaho and Montana streams this summer. Do you guys prefer fishing stoneflies with weight, lead wrap, beads, etc.? Or...
  8. Cliff

50ft Enough Line?

I have an opportunity to get a silk line for my 7wt Edwards rod, but it's only 50ft (16 yards?). I'm not much of a distance caster, but do you guys feel this is long enough for most fishing? I would be using this rod/line for mostly bass, pinks, possibly salt. Thanks, Cliff
  9. Cliff

Upper Yakima Flows

Hello, does anyone know if the upper Yakima flows have lowered yet? Or is it typically mid-Sept when they are lowered? Thanks, Cliff
  10. Cliff

Wrap Touch-Ups

Is it ok to use clear fingernail polish on some W&M Granger Special wraps that are a little loose? Or should I look for something else? Thank you.
  11. Cliff

W&M Granger Special Loose Guide

When I returned from Montana last last week I noticed a loose wire guide on the mid-section on my W&M Granger Special 8642. Does anyone know of a person could can rewrap/repair this guide in the Seattle area? Photos attached. Thanks, Cliff
  12. Cliff

Zen Braided Silk Fly Lines

FYI, this past winter I purchased a new braided silk line from Jaime Chriswisser at Zen Outfitters, in Idaho. I've waited to review this line before making a post. I've fished it now a half dozen times and I feel comfortable reviewing it. It's still not totally broken in yet but I'm really happy...
  13. Cliff

Anchor Systems and Rod Holders for Plastic Pram

Hello, I have an older plastic pram and I'd like to get an anchoring system for the bow and stern (or one or the other) and at least two rod holders for trolling or rod storage while casting. My boat is molded something-or-other, maybe polystyrene? I'm wondering what brands/types of gear to...
  14. Cliff

General River Opener

Does anyone know when the general river opener is? Is it the weekend before Memorial day?
  15. Cliff

One Down, One To Go

I got my Merriam's with a Winchester Model 97 16 gauge made in 1904. Now for my Rio.
  16. Cliff

Lines for Bass

I'm a bass fishing neophyte. I have 7 & 8 weight rods, and I have appropriate floating and sink tip lines for both. Right now, for flies have three different colors of bead head Wooly Buggers, Muddler Minnows, Zonkers and Bunny Leeches, mostly in size 8. I also have a few medium sized poppers...
  17. Cliff

San Juan Worms

Picking an easy fly to get back into tying;) How many fish these, and do you use them dead drift under an indicator? Or under a dry fly? Do you tie them naked or beaded? Thanks. Cliff
  18. Cliff

New Silk Line

I recently ordered a silk fly line from Jaime at Zen Outfitters. Does anyone have experience with these lines? They're beautiful and Jaime was a joy to work with. I'm really looking forward to fishing my six weight Granger this summer with this new line. Cliff
  19. Cliff

Small Personal Craft for Rivers

Hello, I'm kind of kicking around the idea of buying a smaller, 1 to 2 person inflatable for fishing smaller rivers and streams. Specifically, I'm thinking about rivers like the St. Joe, Coeur d'Alene, Yakima, etc. Size is an issue since I drive a Subaru wagon, and I'd like something light...
  20. Cliff

Smoking Cheese

Hello, any tips for smoking cheese? Things to watch for, etc.? I smoked some Tillamook sharp cheddar and pepper jack last night in my Little Chief. I followed a youtube video suggestion where they place a pan of ice cubes on the second rack from the top, and the cheese on the top rack, and then...