Search results

1. Mike Cline

YNP Opens Two Rivers to Year Round Angling

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/24012.htm This will take some pressure off other SW MT rivers in the Spring before runoff. The access to the Madison section is decent while access to the Gardner will still be a challenge due to the 2022 flood damage. Haven’t seen any rationale from NPS on...
  2. Mike Cline

The Mole Crab - A Tough One to Imitate

The Mole Crab (Emerita sp.) is also known as Sand Crab or Sand Flea. As far as I can tell, there aren't many fly patterns trying to imitate this common beach forage. Even the ones that do, don't do a good job of replicating the hard shell of this crab. Commonly found in the surf zone of...
  3. Mike Cline

Toe-Nail Crabs and Other Stuff

I stumbled across a thread on another forum recently that had a tyer using press-on plastic fingernails for some small patterns. It intrigued me and I found a youtube video where a tyer had employed the press-on fingernails in a crab pattern. So, I took a plunge and acquired via Amazon some of...
  4. Mike Cline

Shrimpadillos are cool Redfish flies

Tied up a few more Shrimpadillos for an upcoming Florida Gulf trip in April. The Shrimpadillo is the original creation of brothers Steven and Alan Kulcak of Sightcastfishing.com, a south Texas outfit. The inspiration for the Shrimpadillo came after a day on the water sight casting to redfish...
  5. Mike Cline

MGTU Fundraising Banquet and Auction (Feb 24th)

Here’s an opportunity to benefit the cold-water fisheries in SW Montana. The Madison-Gallatin TU chapter holds its annual fundraising banquet on Feb 24th. The silent auction is online today and goes live on Thursday. Lots of goodies. https://us.givergy.com/mgtu24
  6. Mike Cline

Ala Carte Shrimp

Tied up a dozen of these for the NWExpo tyers raffle in March. It’s been an effective pattern for Speckled Trout along the Florida Gulf Coast and I suspect it might work for SRC as well. Hook: #1 Sightcast Spoon fly hook (sightcastfishing.com) Thread: Mono Antennae: Sightcast Shrimp Antennae...
  7. Mike Cline

MGTU Annual Banquet Donations Needed

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1407047883488608 Time to all you tiers to put up their best. The trout of SW Montana will thank you.
  8. Mike Cline

Has Anyone? - Lizardfish

Lizardfish are a pretty common catch when fly fishing for Speckled Trout in Florida inshore waters. They attack the same flies used for specks and actually put up a good flight, especially the 14"+ fish. Despite their appearance, apparently, they are good eating. I haven't tried one yet, but...
  9. Mike Cline

RIP Bobby Knight

https://flylifemagazine.com/profile-talking-fly-fishing-with-coach-bob-knight/ It wasn’t unusual to see him passing thru the Bozeman airport coming or going with flyrods in hand.
  10. Mike Cline

My 2023 Florida Inshore Flats Box

Am about 30 days out from our annual trip to FL. Get to fish everyday for three weeks (baring bad weather) with my kayak on Tampa and Sarasota Bay grass flats for Speckled Trout, Redfish, Ladyfish, Spanish Mackerel, Bluefish, Jacks and Pompano. Going to have some great morning low tides during...
  11. Mike Cline

SW Montana Rivers Back To Normal

All the hysteria over low water and high water temps that flowed out of hoot owl closures over the last few weeks has lost some steam. On Friday evening, MTFWP lifted hoot owl closures for all but one SW Montana river. (Western MT rivers still have some closures) After a few weeks of afternoon...
  12. Mike Cline

Low Water Opportunities

Finally got back on the river for a few hours on Friday after a week of clear weather and high afternoon temps. Our annual July so called “Heat Wave” is probably over for the summer. Significantly cooler, wet weather moved in and will be here for at least a week. River flows will increase some...
  13. Mike Cline

Sunrises Greet the Early Riser

Got on the river early twice last week, well before official sunrise and was greeted with some stunning colors. This sunrise preceded an early morning breakout of intense thunderstorms that had the sky boiling and the river boiling with PMDs about 8:30AM. This sunrise three days later faded...
  14. Mike Cline

FS Stoney Creek Custom 7’ 4 weight fiberglass fly rod (unfished)

This is a rod that I think I acquired new several years ago at a raffle. It has never been fished or cast. It is labeled a 7’ 4 weight as Confluence by Stoney Creek Custom. The blank and components apparently came from Proof Fly Fishing. If so, they most likely cost in total $150+...
  15. Mike Cline

FS SOLD Simms Wet Wading Shoes - Size 11

One pair of Simms Wet Wading Shoes - Size 11. Good condition, never had studs on soles. $35 Post paid. Pay Pal please. PM me if interested.
  16. Mike Cline

FS Lightly Used Scientific Anglers System 2 12/13 Fly Reel

A lightly used SA System 2. 12/13 Fly Reel with line and System 3 leather pouch. Reel finish has very light scuffing at the top of the reel body. Fly line unknown but most likely an appropriate weight SA line given the reel orgin. $65 Postpaid. Pay Pal Please. PM me if interested.
  17. Mike Cline

Tis the Season on Lesser Ape Creek

Runoff in SW Montana is in full swing. However, there are some headwaters that recede early. Lesser Ape Creek is one of those and graced anglers with dropping flows on the season opener. A week ago Lesser Ape Creek was in full flood, overflowing its banks, but a precipitous drop in flows and...
  18. Mike Cline

FS ALL SOLD Used Fly Boxes

SOLD A. Three Used Bug Luggage Fly Boxes. Fully functional, closure secure. No cracks in plastic. $20 Postpaid. PayPal please. PM me if interested. SOLD B. Two used Scientific Anglers double sided fly boxes. Fully functional, no cracks in plastic. Two small fly wallets. One is custom...
  19. Mike Cline

FS All SOLD Used Fly Boxes

A. Three used empty TACKY fly boxes. Fully functional, No breaks or cracks in the plastic. $20 postpaid 1st class. PayPal please. PM me if interested. B. Two Used Bug Luggage Fly Boxes. No cracks or breaks. $20 postpaid 1st Class. PayPal please, PM me if interested.
  20. Mike Cline

Competition on the Flats with Master Anglers

I’ve got about a week to go on my three-week visit to Florida and daily trips to deep grass flats at the mouth of Tampa Bay. By and large fly fishing has been decent for average sized Speckled Trout with usually 4-5 dozen fish coming to hand over the 4-5 hour morning wade/float. Jacks and...