Search results

1. Mike Cline

A Dangerous Time of Year for Wading....

Felt was temporarily banned in MT but is legal now. Since YNP bans felt, you don’t see a lot of it in MT.
  2. Mike Cline

YNP Opens Two Rivers to Year Round Angling

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/24012.htm This will take some pressure off other SW MT rivers in the Spring before runoff. The access to the Madison section is decent while access to the Gardner will still be a challenge due to the 2022 flood damage. Haven’t seen any rationale from NPS on...
  3. Mike Cline

Bead size to hook size

If you get the opportunity, take a look at the Firehole Outdoors line of hooks as they are barbless and usually have wide gaps making it easier to use smaller beads. Additionally their line of tungsten—stones and slotted stones provide an excellent range of colors and sizes.
  4. Mike Cline

Deals at online Retailers

In my experience on both fresh and saltwater flies, I’ve never noticed any fading with these when exposed to water. They color feathers, fur, hair, thread and acrylics very well. That said, the color will disolve when exposed to head cement (Sally Hansen), but is otherwise permanent. They do...
  5. Mike Cline

Deals at online Retailers

Hobby Lobby has its Master’s Touch Alcohol markers on sale for $1.77. They are normally $5.99. I stocked up on a few yesterday at my local store. There was a lot of stock on hand. I think they are discounted online as well. These are very good markers for fly tying with lots of color...
  6. Mike Cline

Where to buy 3-Piece Rod Tube

https://reelseats.com/collections/aluminum-rod-cases
  7. Mike Cline

NW Fly Tyer & Fly Fishing Expo - March 8-9 in Albany, OR - We will be there!

I’ll probably have some extra Firehole Predator hooks if you need them.:p
  8. Mike Cline

fishing rabbit strip flies

You might also try an alternative material—Zonked Pine Squirrel. The skin is much thinner than rabbit and the fur sheds water very well. Additionally, the skin side accepts and retains color well from permanent markers. I cast unweighted flies using zonked Pine Squirrel with sink tips without...
  9. Mike Cline

NW Fly Tyer & Fly Fishing Expo - March 8-9 in Albany, OR - We will be there!

I’ll be heading West on Weds for the Expo. Hopefully, we make it in between storms. Will be tying on Friday for two sessions. 1. 11:45-2:15, table #15 - Variations on the Gartside Soft-Hackle Streamer 2. 2:45 - 5;00, table #56 - Variations on the Myakka Minnow Will also be staying for...
  10. Mike Cline

The Mole Crab - A Tough One to Imitate

The Mole Crab (Emerita sp.) is also known as Sand Crab or Sand Flea. As far as I can tell, there aren't many fly patterns trying to imitate this common beach forage. Even the ones that do, don't do a good job of replicating the hard shell of this crab. Commonly found in the surf zone of...
  11. Mole Crab.jpg

Mole Crab.jpg

12. Mole Crab wEggs.jpg

Mole Crab wEggs.jpg

13. P2270075.JPG

P2270075.JPG

14. P2270074.JPG

P2270074.JPG

15. P2270073.JPG

P2270073.JPG

16. P2270072.JPG

P2270072.JPG

17. P2270071.JPG

P2270071.JPG

18. P2270070.JPG

P2270070.JPG

19. Mike Cline

Toe-Nail Crabs and Other Stuff

I stumbled across a thread on another forum recently that had a tyer using press-on plastic fingernails for some small patterns. It intrigued me and I found a youtube video where a tyer had employed the press-on fingernails in a crab pattern. So, I took a plunge and acquired via Amazon some of...
  20. P2230067.JPG

P2230067.JPG