Search results

1. K

vices?

For my first hundred years I tied with a Thompson A, the next 100 with an HMH standard, and now with a Renzetti Presentation. I too found the Traveller "too light". Having a full rotary vise was something I did not know I needed until I got one.
  2. K

Brush Table?

Not to knock anyone's ingenuity, but from what I have seen here, the brush table seems to be a solution in search of a problem. I suspect it would be worthwhile for a commercial tier, but for the hobby tier, not so much.
  3. K

What's in your vise?

Rusty Spinner with Egg Sac (2 variations) I don't know if there is a West Coast variation, but the Hendrickson Fly (Ephemerella subvaria) is a big time important Hatch in New England. They come in a few different varieties of color and size, so local species determine what you dunk into the...
  4. 20240319_141339.jpg

20240319_141339.jpg

5. 20240319_140017.jpg

20240319_140017.jpg

6. 20240314_132858.jpg

20240314_132858.jpg

7. K

New Opportunity?

I have fished for Shad both in the Potomac in DC and in the Merrimack in Newbury Port MA. Shad like brightly colored streamer type flies. Shad "darts" and cone head flies produce the most success. I have caught some on orange & bright green Hornbergs as well. They run into the river in the...
  8. K

Vermont Info

Check out Green Mountain Adventures in Middlebury, or The Fly Rod Shop in Stowe. The Stowe shop is more focused on fishing as the GMA shop is more of an "all around" sport store, but they do have a fair amount of gear and are about 2 blocks from Otter Creek. They also cater to the "Hackey...
  9. K

NFR BC Fire Recovery, or lack thereof (NY Times)

A climate change impact story: This link "should" work, but who knows https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/12/travel/lytton-fire-canada.html?unlocked_article_code=1.dE0.CCG4.bVcQDDPmjVgv&smid=url-share
  10. K

What's Catching You Fish?

I have seen similar behavior with Land Locked Salmon and Smelt. Often, Salmon will jump into the air and smash down on the Smelt to stun them. They then return and eat the immobile fish.
  11. K

What's in your vise?

I use Scribbles 3D paint for eyes on epoxy heads. The paint is "goopy" and you can just dab it on. The paint also sticks up from the surface and is possibly more attractive, but only the fish know. Also, the Scribble paint is cheap. I get it at Michael's, and I believe it is about $ 8 for a...
  12. K

Montana man used animal tissue and testicles to breed ‘giant’ sheep for sale to hunting preserves (Bos Globe)

I know its behind a paywall, but is such an odd story it is worth looking for. Maybe a local PNW outlet will cover the story https://www.bostonglobe.com/2024/03/14/nation/montana-giant-sheep-breeding-case/
  13. K

UV fluorescent materials

UV materials were all the "rage" maybe 10 years ago, or so. Allegedly, they are attractive to fish who supposedly see more in the UV range. I never really saw any data that convinced me that UV ties were "better". All is anecdotal and I suspect mostly generated by the marketing departments of...
  14. K

UNBELIEVABLE ADVANCMENT IN THE TECHNOLOLOGIES

Of course, the $ 1.75 emergency blanket at Walmart may impact sales of the "must have" device
  15. K

NFR Anyone leasing solar?

Leasing, rather than buying (at $1,000/per panel) seems to be the norm here in New England. It seems no impediment to selling a house as prospective buyers are advised of the lease and understand that they need to take it over. The leasing companies seem to have no issue with the transaction...
  16. K

It's a jungle out there!

Last summer, I towed a rowboat back to the ramp using the 30lb electric motor on my canoe. They had broken an oar lock and were trying to get back to the ramp using one oar. It was kind of pathetic, but at least they were trying. It was only about 300 yards back to the dock, so it did not...
  17. K

Just started tying wanted to share what i have done

Both those flies will catch fish. Don't worry about them being "perfect"
  18. K

What's in your vise?

Purple soft hackle works great. It is one of my "go to" flies as a dropper behind a dry when Hendricksons, or other dark Mayflies are coming off. I tie #12 and 16 and have had good luck with both
  19. K

Edmonton Canada

I may be going to Edmonton in May. Does anyone know about fly fishing in/around the area? I am looking for info on both DIY and guided fishing. Thanks
  20. K

Hobby Lobby visit

I won't go to Hobby Lobby due to their politics. I get the same prices and goods at Michaels