Search results

1. SteelHeadDave

NFR Storage Sheds

I’m looking to get a new shed at my house this spring and I’m looking for any suggestions on brands, builders etc. I have a pretty small house and unfortunately no garage so the bigger the better as long as it stays at or slightly below the 200 sq ft mark. I’m looking for something sturdy and...
  2. SteelHeadDave

Arizona Jaguar

New trail cam footage captures the 8th confirmed jaguar sighting in southern AZ in the past 3 decades. Pretty cool to see these cats wandering north of the border. https://biologicaldiversity.org/w/news/press-releases/southern-arizona-jaguar-video-confirms-new-cat-2024-01-05/
  3. SteelHeadDave

Recent fly shop break in?

I was just looking at another classified, not related to this site and saw someone selling a large amount of new/unused fly reels. No pouches, boxes or paperwork. Nothing too high end so probably a bigger outdoor shop display case got boosted recently. Maybe it was a fly shop though? Either way...
  4. SteelHeadDave

Callibaetis - deep hooking

I was fishing a high elevation lake a few days ago and having good success with callibaetis nymphs using a slow hand twist retrieve. Several of the bigger fish swallowed the fly really deep. Is it normal for fish to swallow these? Would a slightly faster strip retrieve help to prevent this? I’m...
  5. SteelHeadDave

Long Island WA Camping

I have a buddy visiting from NYC next week. He wants to get out camping and do something neither of us has done before. He doesn’t really fish so that’s not really important. I’ve been looking at Long Island for a few years but haven’t been. Has anyone camped there before? I have a canoe and the...
  6. SteelHeadDave

NFR Help me kill my lawn

I hate grass. It’s nice when it’s nice but it simply is not for me. I’d rather have more room to grow flowering plants, fruit trees and veggies. Plus mowing sucks. I also hate weeds that don’t go away easily. I’m three years into a house and I’ve put many hours into weed control with minimal...
  7. SteelHeadDave

Yellow Perch on the Fly

Inspired by @SRCbum and the crappie/bluegill thread. I’ve never caught a yellow perch on the fly and I’m not sure I’ve ever caught one period. I often dream of having a panko panfish fish fry. This yearning pulls at me this time of year when I happen to catch the bulk of my spiny rays, though I...
  8. SteelHeadDave

Recommend Reading

I finally purchased this book after knowing about it for a super long time. I originally saw it in a FS ranger station way back in the day. I’ve thought about it ever since then but just recently made the effort to get it. I’m sure quite a few of you know about this book but for those that don’t...
  9. SteelHeadDave

The Future of Food?

This kinda relates to the @clarkman thread about tuna filleting. I get a lot of my media, for better or worse from YouTube. I was just recommended this video to watch based on my search history I guess (which is another topic in itself). Is this really the direction we are going as a society...
  10. SteelHeadDave

What plants, weeds and/or trees do you hate and why?

On the heels of the “ID this tree” thread it seems like a good time to air out your disdain for your least favorite plants, weeds and/or trees. We probably have all done some bushwhacking while fishing or off trail hiking in some capacity. Some plants just plain suck to come across. Himayalan...
  11. SteelHeadDave

Cape Cod

I took a much needed vacation this past week with my girlfriend out to Cape Cod. I’ve never been to that area so it was a brand new experience for me and I was not disappointed. Did a lot mushroom hunting, cheap motel hopping, expensive drinking/eating and a half day of fishing. Mostly mushroom...
  12. SteelHeadDave

Cape Cod Guide Recommendations

My GF is looking to make a trip out to Cape Cod at the end of the month. We will most likely be going the last few days of October/first week of November. I’d like to hire a guide for a day for walk and wade beach fishing. Does anyone have guide recommendations or suggestions for this time of...
  13. SteelHeadDave

Questions About Commercial PS Salmon Fisheries

A few years ago I took a trip to fish a new to me beach in MA13. I was super bummed to see that there were over a dozen or so commercial boats netting near the shoreline all up and down the beach I had gone to. I’d like to give that spot a try again this weekend for coho but I don’t want a...
  14. SteelHeadDave

Westport Meat Trip

Two of my friends and I have a ling/rockfish meat fishing trip booked on Sunday out of Westport. This is something I’ve never done and I am not sure what to expect. Honestly gear fishing for rocks/lings with a guide doesn’t quite have me stoked. That being said I’m gonna bring a 6wt and 8wt with...
  15. SteelHeadDave

Brand New SRKW Calf

Maybe this has been posted but I didn’t see it mentioned yet. Hope this one makes it. Every time I see them in the Sound I feel lucky and deeply sad at the same time. Trapped in a home of our liquid filth with nowhere to go but more of the same...