Search results

1. skyriver

Opportunity for foster kids- Mayfly Project

Hi there, Mayfly Project is a great non-profit that teaches foster kids how to fly fish and takes them fishing a few times per year. The hope is we give them a few fun days and maybe, through the skills they gain, a hobby that gives them a lifetime of joy. And it's FREE! Contact Chris Chang by...
  2. skyriver

Nice day on the river

I had a free day today. I didn't want to try another wetside lake and I didn't feel like the salt. The weather and flows looked pretty darn good for a certain river that I enjoy fishing this time of year. I haven't fished it in February in quite a few years. And the plan was to single-hand spey...
  3. skyriver

WDFW Native resident trout policy meeting on Feb 12

Just got the email- The primary goal of the Feb. 12 town hall will be to share information about the scope, development, and timeline of the new policy, which will apply to resident native rainbow trout, cutthroat trout, and their subspecies including coastal cutthroat, westslope cutthroat, and...
  4. skyriver

Winter sucks...How about some carp stoke?

Just playing around with the free stuff on my GoPro app. Cheesy free GoPro music and it still gets me stoked for summer.
  5. skyriver

Ooops

That other site is having a major issue right now.
  6. skyriver

SOLD Jasmine by Takamine S-35 Guitar

Hi there, I picked up this guitar from a nice fellow in Purdy (no, I didn't bring the rod) for $75 last year. I was thinking it would be my travel guitar, but I would like something smaller. The S-35 is a full-size (4/4) dreadnought. This one is from the days when they were made in Indonesia...
  7. skyriver

SOLD Cabelas Cahill 1 reel- Hardy clone for sale

I'm selling off my remaining Hardy clones. First one is the most mint one I've ever had. Cabelas Cahill 1- Hardy Princess clone, but with rim control spool. This one is nice to fish with. I've been using it for my WF6S type 3. The pawls are decent. I have not upgraded to the Hardy pawls &...
  8. skyriver

Sometimes it's a "useless" report

In the spirit of OMJ I figured I'd post a report. Steelheaders know the true value of "useless" reports. Of course, Jim would tell me I was an idiot for driving 4 hours Friday night, fish all day Saturday and then drive 4 hours home that night. And ride your bike 5 miles in and back out? When...
  9. skyriver

Anchor method for older Commander

I wanted a way to easily anchor in my Commander while fishing slow lower river/estuary areas. And in lakes when fishing bobbers. I've tried a couple different ways, but I think I may have settled on one. Using a Scotty anchor mount on the right IGS (Integrated Gear System) mount and a Scotty 266...
  10. skyriver

Musky casting

Exciting I know. Haha! One thing you'll learn if you musky fish long enough- you have to make a LOT of casts. I mean like a LOT of casts. No, I mean... ok, you get it. Well, you won't until you do it, but you get my point. Also very applicable to fishing the sound. You have to minimize your...
  11. skyriver

Columbia & Snake/Clearwater comparison

I was half bored/half excited about fall steelheading so I geeked out and downloaded some counts and used some pretty colors. Interesting counts this year. Not an exact science by any means, but I think a good enough data point to show that upriver stocks are doing better than lower river...
  12. skyriver

Found a relic

I was looking for a book in my old shelf and found this. Anyone else have one of these from back in the day? I wrote out distances on the back from my 3 "home bases". Those drives didn't seem that far when I knew I had a chance to catch a fish. The catch numbers for each stream referenced...
  13. skyriver

How many steelhead flies do you really need?

I just did a summer steelhead fly reorg. Haha! Out of all these, 80 made it into my old faithful Perrine #95 box. 80 should be enough considering I'll probably only fish 3 or 4 all fall. 😏 Got your top-water section, white wings, orange wings, hair wings, dark wings, red (if you know, you...
  14. skyriver

Fenwick Aetos 6, 7 & 8wt on sale

Hi guys, I'm not affiliated with Fenwick or Big Y Fly Company in any way, shape or manner. And I assume this type of post is allowed. Just wanted to pass on a great deal if people were looking for a new 6-8wt. Big Y has 6, 7 & 8wt Aetos for $164.50. I have the 8' 4wt and the 9' 8wt and really...
  15. skyriver

Got a few

Had a great time carp hunting with some seriously fishy young guys. They both happen to be guides, but got the weekend off to actually just have fun fishing. Those that have guided understand that is a luxury, especially during the summer. They both can fish as hard or harder than me so we had a...
  16. skyriver

Fenwick Aetos 9' 8wt review

So it's no secret the Aetos, in certain weights, gets great reviews and is one of the best bargain rods out there. Well, here's one more good review. Haha! The reason for the review is because I've fished an 8wt more in the last year than I have for quite some time. So here it goes- Note- I...
  17. skyriver

Gorge shad & carp trip

My buddy and I did the shad thing just below John Day dam. It was hot fishing last year so I tried to repeat it this year. You know how that goes most of the time. The river is WAY low this year so the table and shelves I was fishing last year were exposed by several feet this year. The current...
  18. skyriver

Ten Year Average

Don't need a stats class to see these are not the same. 84-93 Ten Year average- Current Ten Year average- So keep this in mind when you compare numbers for this year. Soapbox moment- Even if you're conservative on social matters or guns or whatever...I know lots of us are. If you like to...
  19. skyriver

Boat deck material

The old blue boat turf in my 14' Valco has to go. What boat deck materials do you like? I like the idea of the nice eva faux teak stuff, but I'm cheap. Haha! Probably no exquisite builds in my future. :unsure: More like Git-R-Done. Interested in what you all have used and if you like it or not...
  20. skyriver

SOLD Olympic 4340 Fly Reel. Hardy St Aidan clone

Hi guys, Another of the Hardy clones up for sale. This is the cleanest one I own and possibly the cleanest I've ever seen for sale. The reel is in excellent condition. I've only fished it a couple times. I also have the box, features/parts sheet and plastic cover so truly a collectible...