Search results

1. C

A few new toy reviews and a spey caster is born??

As some of you read in an earlier post of mine, I recently got a screaming deal on an Orvis Recon II 9' 5wr with Orvis Mirage reel. In the process of looking at 5wt rods and reels, I fell in love with this Red Truck Deseil reel. Basically a hardy knock-off. I got another screaming deal on this...
  2. C

Custom rod - help identify?

I picked up this rid from a local guy. Said he won it at a work auction and has never used it. I fished it quite a bit the last 2 years and really like it. Long shot, but wondering if anyone knows who might have made it?
  3. C

Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge - but with fly rods...

I'm finally treating myself to a higher (for me) quality rod. I just ordered a new Echo Trout X and after 2 lawn casting sessions - decided I don't care for it. I want to LOVE it and notice a difference between that and my lower end rods. Obviously the trout x isn't high end, but it is...
  4. C

The crux of it...

Redington Crux rods - considering getting one. But the reviews are all over the place. Anyone here have any actual hands on experience with one? I'm in the market for a 5wt fast action rod. I found a great deal on a Crux, but the reviews are confusing.
  5. C

Survival fishing and Alone Season 9

As a side conversatino to this post: https://pnwflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/usless-hunting-fishing-report.6101/ I wanted to bring up a few things: 1) Anyone watch Alone Season 9 where they were limited to 'fly fishing only' up on Labrador for beautiful brook trout? My kids and I...
  6. C

I guess I'm bored, but....

I found this amusing. That kind of day I guess... My top newsfeed posts just now.... am I the only one to find the humor in these being grouped together??
  7. C

Usless hunting / fishing report

Earlier this summer we noticed that they closed the forest service road to our favorite camp spot and grouse hunting area due to washouts. So one of my daughters and I backpacked the 2.5 miles up the steep road in the 85 degree heat only to find our favorite campsite completely burned out. The...
  8. C

Usless fishing report - round 2

After my recent trip to "the lake" with my twin daughters, where we got a brief sampling of the fish at this lake, I knew I had to go back. So I altered the annual "boys camping trip" with my buddy and our 2 sons to do a 2 night backpacking trip. This was my first backpacking trip in about 10...
  9. C

Chunky

Found 2 chunky wild bows (one is probably a cutbow). First one is about 14 inches and sipped my dry off the surface. Went airborne and gave my 4 wt a serious workout. Quickly landed, quick pic, and released as the water at the surface was 70 degrees in the shallows and wanted to get it back...
  10. C

Action shot

Took this 'selfie'. Captured the moment well.
  11. C

Usless fishing report(s)...

I haven't been out much this spring/early summer, but during July I did manage to make a few outings and get the line wet. 1) Did a hike-in lake with my twin daughters while camping. Found a nice lake after a 4 mile (one way) hike that had some surprisingly big (12-14 inches) rainbows who were...
  12. C

On the rise

Was scouting for places to take my kids deer hunting and decided to see how Spada was doing. 80% of the drinking water supply for Snohomish County comes from here. I have never seen it this low. But now every river and creek is raging into it and the water is as brown/green as southern bayou...
  13. C

Colville area?

I'll be doing some hunting in a few weeks over on my buddy's land near Colville. I may spend 7-10 days up there this year trying to get kids into deer, turkey, grouse, rabbits, etc. Enough time that slipping away to chase fish may be a nice break at some point. Any lakes or skinny water within...
  14. C

FOUND ROD - snoqualmie fork

Who left a rod behind on one of the snoqualmie forks? PM me with rod and reel details and where you lost it. I'll get it back to you!
  15. C

Made a convert from the dark side

I took a friend and his son camping and fishing this weekend. Our sons have been best friends since they were about 5 years old. I got my buddy to try fly fishing a few years ago at a lake. Action was slow, but he got a little action. Enjoyed it, but wasn't quite sold. So this weekend, I...
  16. C

Finally got on some skinny water

I don't get out on the skinny water as mush as I used to. So this past weekend I took my youngest son camping and out to look for tiny trout in some tiny water and then hit a lake in the kayaks. He was able to catch his very first, second, and third trout on a dry fly. To date, he's only every...
  17. C

Quick road trip

I had a rare weekend free with wife and kids out of town. So what else was I to do but load up the kayak and drive to a region I've been wanting to explore for years in eastern WA. I also had the chance to finally meet the legendary @Roper and Scotty. The idea was to fish a little with them...
  18. C

Another soggy day in the PNW

Took a drive up to a mountain lake with a friend to let him try out my fishing kayaks. Had a good time despite being rained on half the time. When it wasn't raining, it was amazing. Fishing was slow, but we managed a few each. Fish were rising occasionally, but very random timing and no...
  19. C

Quick local lake report

I've been way too busy with a new job and 3 of my 8 kids in sports. Combine that with the crumby weather, and I haven't been out much this year so far. Just a few quick outings over the winter. I did some work on one of my kayaks. The PWM (controller for my trolling motor) fried last...
  20. C

Game changers?

Getting ramped up to start tying again. Most of my equipment is pretty old. In fact, my vise is a hand-me-down from @Old Man . I'm thinking of trying a rotary vise. What else should I be looking at? Any tools that were a game changer for you?