Search results

1. S

Rocks

I often come across interesting specimens when fishing or hiking. Anyone else?
  2. S

Estuarine Anadromous White Fish

Being locked in with the ice storm I found something new to obsess over - Sheefish or Inconnu. Alaska or Northwest Territory’s Canada. Resident and estuary migrant populations. Travel, weather and expenses are of course the biggest obstacles near the arctic circle, but man I think I need to make...
  3. S

Northwest Territories

The return to Great Slave Lake, east arm near Lutselk’e. I learned from last years trip and came with a better understanding of what I was in for, and how to prepare. Bigger flies and a Cortland compact s9 to get me a bit deeper for the lake trout. I also came better prepared for the grayling...
  4. S

SFR Of Course

https://www.adn.com/politics/2023/07/26/state-of-alaska-sues-epa-over-pebble-mine-veto-asks-supreme-court-to-take-up-the-case/
  5. S

Gods Lake Manitoba

The cabin my buddy Joe and I stayed in. Sunset from shore at the cabin. This is a lodge trip, meals and a guide. We come mainly to target northern pike, we also caught walleye and a few lake trout. I almost exclusively fish a fly, Joe is fly and spin, about 50/50 - leaned a little heavier on...
  6. S

SFR Shark Feeding Frenzy

😳
  7. S

NFR Road Trip

I have been heading to the southern Owens Valley in California since I was 8 in 1976. My great uncle lived in a small town (Cartago) on the southern end of the dry Owens Lake. From the ponds east of town, looking east with town on the left. A creek bearing the same name exists the canyon. I...
  8. S

SFR Books about fishing

I have scored some great books from the local used book store over the years. Such as these two What are the odds?
  9. S

One Green, One Brown

Poor pictures of praying mantis Green Brown
  10. S

Great Slave Lake Northwest Territory

Went fishing for Grayling, Northern Pike, and mainly Lake Trout on the fly. I wasn’t sure what to expect, or to tie. I will be better prepared next time. Grayling fishing was with a 4wt rod, and small Caddis (16) were the main bug on the menu. They ate dries and nymphs almost equally. These...
  11. S

Corked

This is what I am after! Fenglass 4wt Iconoglass 8wt
  12. S

Lake Trout

I am headed to Great Slave Lake, North West Territory’s, Canada. Grayling, Northern Pike and Lake trout should all be targets for the fly rod. I am looking for fly recommendations if any one has any. Sounds like there is some overlap with the pike box. I better get tying 🤓
  13. S

Close to Home Landscapes

I got out for a day hike yesterday. Wildflowers are a couple weeks behind the usual schedule. I thought it would be nice to see where some of our members like to recreate for their day trips.
  14. S

Kitchi

Once settled in I got to look around our island a bit I could see where a moose had recently landed and crossed I am a plant nerd I watched the sun set every evening More coming…
  15. S

Kitchi Lake Manitoba

It has been a long time coming to get back into Manitoba for some Northern Pike fishing. These trips involve a lot of moving pieces and one needs to expect a glitch or two. 6am flight out of Eugene to Denver, then Denver to Sioux Falls where we were picked up at the airport. We then got on the...
  16. S

My first toon

Local Craigslist, $300, mine. Outcast pac 800. NRS pump, tear aid, outcasts backpack(?) fins. I think I want a K100 pump, new straps, and a boat bag for the back deck. I will need a way to hold a rod or two. I will mainly float between swing runs, and then get out and swing, mostly class 2...
  17. S

Things have changed

I got out today, I went to a favorite walk in section of river. I didn’t see anyone on the trail for the 20 minutes I walked before heading off the main trail to my old regular. We are at summer levels up there now, I used a 440 grain FHI scandi 3D on the 7130 MOD. Started short and high...
  18. S

Godshall built Iconoglass

I just received this today. I am really happy with the build, and how the flex of the Iconoglass feels. I can’t wait to get it out on the water. Removable fighting butt for figure 8’s at the boat, some 2hand overhead, and I won’t be able to help trying a commando and skagit cast it. Stoked!
  19. S

I Had To Get Out and SWING

It was my birthday, plans had changed and I found myself at home. I ran through my options. Up higher trout fishing should have been good - tempted to grab the trout spey and go for a drive. Locally they cranked the levels up, it felt like 15’ of s6 to me. Winter fish are nearly non existent...
  20. S

NFC Iconoglass 8’ 6” 8 wt

The blank has been ordered, and Steve Godshall is waiting for its arrival. This will be a boat rod for pike in Manitoba, and perhaps carp on foot locally. I have a Rio pike/musky 8 wt intermediate, but am of course thinking of picking up another line. Anyone - @clarkman - have recommendations...