Search results

1. DerekWhipple

Airflo Skagit Compact G2 vs Skagit Driver?

I'm looking for a skagit head for my ARW 12'6" 6wt. I'd like to stick with airflo, and I see some G2's around for sale still, and the Driver is Airflo's only "normal" length skagit head currently being offered. I have a hard time finding much info on people's experience with the Driver...
  2. DerekWhipple

Sink tip choice? Multi-d vs T-stuff.

Does anyone use multi-d sink tips with your skagit heads? I bought a guideline 4d scandi head, and the tips are about the same length and weight as a T-8/10 sink tip. They don't have the oomph to throw rabbit leeches, but they actually work pretty well with smaller/lighter flies on a skagit...
  3. DerekWhipple

Accidentally became a boat guy...

This summer, I was gifted a relative's costco wilderness inflatable pontoon when he upgraded. I've been a member of the bank-bound proletariat, but the price was "free" so I couldn't say no. I've taken it on a local lake a couple of times to get used to it, but I'm not a lake guy (yet). Using...
  4. DerekWhipple

Yellowstone in late July.

Driving to Denver in July and taking a long detour to see Yellowstone. My wife and 5yo have never been. We will be staying in Silver Gate for a couple of nights. Definitely planning to spend time around the NE part of the park and hopefully see some wolves, and fish slough and/or soda butte...
  5. DerekWhipple

Sage model question for the old timers

Around this time of year I usually read a Bob Arnold book while I wait for the water temps to rise a bit. He talks about using a 11'3" single hand sage blank. Anybody know what model this would have been? I know Sage made 11'3" gear blanks, but I've never heard about that length for fly. Was...
  6. DerekWhipple

Another biology question, residualized/landlocked Pacific salmon spawning?

My daughter checked out a book on salmon from her library, and of course the topic turned to dams and fish ladders. It got me thinking about dams without passage and if there is also the possibility of residualized salmon "seeding" a resurgence after a dam removal a la steelhead on the Elwha...
  7. DerekWhipple

FS Redington NTIQ 4910 (9' 10wt 4pc)

9 foot 10 weight 4 piece Redington NTIQ. Original rod sock and after-market tube included. $150, would rather meet up in PDX area or reasonable distance in NW OR or SW WA. I'd have to see how much to charge for shipping. This is the version of the NTI that had a quartz coating added to the...
  8. DerekWhipple

A little steelhead anatomy help, please...

I caught this fish today. Obviously, it had one underdeveloped skein, but are those fully developed milt sacs along the intestine going to the bottom left? If those aren't milt, what are they?
  9. DerekWhipple

Color in Cowlitz?

Not sure where exactly to put this question, but since there are a lot of folks that know a lot about this river and it's quirks, and I don't... River took a jump after the rain event, then went back down to 3.5k. It was like that for a while, but when I went yesterday, it was off color with...
  10. DerekWhipple

7 vs 8 wt for PDX area winter steelhead?

Thinking about getting a longer rod, 13+ feet for winter steelhead for NW Oregon and SW Washington bigger rivers. Skagit heads, 10/12 foot tips, I usually throw a Hohbo or a MOAL. Should it be an 8wt?
  11. DerekWhipple

Steelhead or trout?

Caught this fish in a river that gets summer steelhead plants. Took a swung muddler in a fast riffle. I initially thought it was a lake stocked rainbow that washed down, but the color was too silvery, and it had a large head. The lake fish usually are fat with a small head and mouth and have...
  12. DerekWhipple

Power Inverter for car camping - wattage?

Looking for a power inverter for car camping to do things like inflate an air mattress. Most of the popular ones with good reviews are 300w or higher. My subaru says 120w or somewhere around there is what I should use for the outlets in the car. Is a 300w inverter fine if I'm just charging a...
  13. DerekWhipple

Rigs/lures for SMB from the bank?

Got some rigs to fish for lings/rockfish last year, realized I probably have most of the gear to fish for SMB. I figure gear might be a good way to scout for SMB spots along the columbia. Do swimbaits work well? Jigs? I used to use banjo minnows back in the 90's for river smallies and they...
  14. DerekWhipple

General location recommendations for SRC-centered sound trip?

Not asking for specific beaches and tides here, (unless you want to share!), but if one was to make a trip up to the sound to fish for SRC/Coho, what would be a good town to stay in and area to focus on? South Sound? Hood Canal? Also, what time of year?
  15. DerekWhipple

Anyone with insider knowledge on the new simms wader deisgn?

There are some discounted G3's still out there. I bought my current G3's several years ago, so the ones on discount are a different generation than what I have. Were people generally satistfied with the most recent G3 generation? Should I get the new G3 guide, or these "guide classic" (that...