Search results

1. Dave Boyle

When is a 5 wt line not a 5 wt?

When it is actually a 3 wt….I was looking to buy some cheap lines to cut to see what would make a really nice heavy head for pulling my mids out of the depth with no issue. Some bobber folks in Canada buy cheap lines and then trim back towards the taper to achieve this, others buy nymph lines...
  2. Dave Boyle

Bob Quigley, another legend gone

Just got this from a buddy. https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/bob-quigley-passes/152370 I love his cripple patterns re midge and callibaetis emergers. Sounds like he was quite the innovator but also in other tying areas I’ll need to explore more. Rip, Dave
  3. Dave Boyle

Good varnish thinner

I have a bottle of Sally Hansen's that is getting a bit too thick for my liking but there's a load left and I'd rather not just bin it. What do folks recommend to thin this down? I'd rather avoid acetone or other more extreme solvents if there is a less toxic alternative as my fly tying space...
  4. Dave Boyle

Gift box

The son of a good friend is going off to Norway on some kind of outward bound school thing for a year. He’ll learn hunting, camping, tracking, fishing, relearn Norwegian and all sorts of good stuff. He’s a great lad and really level headed but wants to work in the fishing fleet after working...
  5. Dave Boyle

Electric motors

I recently got a 12’ journey and I’m wondering about getting an electric motor. I’ve seen 55lb is a good start. Would love to hear others thoughts on what would be best re shaft length and experiences in general. For example minkota are the most popular it seems but there’s other brands that are...
  6. Dave Boyle

NFR Gutter installation

I need to get new gutters, does anyone have a recommendation? Pls pm me too if you know of ones to avoid. I’m located in N Seattle. Dave
  7. Dave Boyle

Hook sizes

A while back there was a thread on hooks and while I love Firehole 718s I agree their sizes were a bit on the large side. Today while waiting for a call I started sizing some hooks. See the pics below. Man they are messed up, the hook sizes too 🤪 The 618 sz 14 was a ten but onto Fulling Mill...
  8. Dave Boyle

A teaser

Off on business trip with a visit to my brother in Dubai on the way back for 3 days. Big queens are around. Can’t wait Dave
  9. Dave Boyle

Looking fro a 10 lb anchor

Hi folks, I’m looking for a lead pyramid anchor for my pram. These are surprisingly hard to find, or for me at least. Fly shops and 3 Rivers Marine had none. Do any of you on the Seattle area have a 10-12 lb anchor that you don’t use… If yes then please let me know. A big shout out to the...
  10. Dave Boyle

Tinsel icicles or low cost tinsel

You decide….I was at QFC on Holman Rd today and picked up a hank of this for $1.29….this is well over a foot long. Soon to be seen in a sound near you. Dave
  11. Dave Boyle

Wax sticks

I scored a few free applicators of soft wax and after trying realise they suck in terms of being sticky and messy vs solid wax. I rub them on the ~2” of thread and then apply the dubbing. It typically leaves very uneven chunks of crap on the thread that I have to pick off. Do others...
  12. Dave Boyle

Never been east of Spokane

And now I’m off to Montana for the week 😀 so stoked and ashamed to admit I’ve been in WA for 20 yrs. Report to follow. Dave
  13. Dave Boyle

Pea soup

Fished a sometimes popular west side lake. It was nasty at the shore and it was not Green Lake. Dave
  14. Dave Boyle

Cool tick thread

I've attached an interesting and hopefully not overly scientific YouTube from Mickey Urdea, a diagnostics expert who takes a light hearted but still focused view on what microbial nasties are shared by ticks. I hate the buggers but this really does make me think re 'staying clean' while out &...
  15. Dave Boyle

Sow bugs

Pending fires, droughts, and fate I'm off to fish the Missouri for a week in the Fall, sow bugs on tiny indicators are the way so seems. Been looking online but would love to see what are the patterns folks on here might recommend so I can tie up a nice selection for me and my friends. Thanks...
  16. Dave Boyle

Sea lions 1 Fish farmers 0

This cracked me up, I hate the buggers but I hate the impact of fish farms a lot more. Dave https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/apr/07/sea-lions-fish-farm-british-columbia
  17. Dave Boyle

Harvest…

I was closing out my day when I was told halibut season has started on KIRO5. While seeing harvest can rightfully upset some folks, this leading image was a belter. Shooting and feet spring to mind. Dave
  18. Dave Boyle

Lubricant for watermater row locks?

My right row lock on my water master has developed a really annoying squeak. What lubricant would folks recommend? It is a hard plastic so I don’t want to apply something petrochemical in case it compromises it in the long term. Any recommendations or suggestions? Thanks, Dave
  19. Dave Boyle

Shout out to Avid and Patagonia

Been meaning to note this and may as well use the new site. I bought a pair of Rio Gallegos waders from Patagonia for a stupid amount of $$$ and in 3 yrs the left boot had a leak and I ripped the crotch via pulling on the zippper cover flap too hard. This fall I found out very quickly that it...