Search results

1. @Dryflyphotography

What's your favorite dry or emerger Callibaetis pattern?

One of my favorite hatches is the callibaetis on some of the PNW lakes I fish. I love it when the trout are rising to the hatching flies. I usually fish a parachute Adams size 14 or 16 but always wonder if there are even more effective flies I should tie and fish. What flies do you prefer?
  2. @Dryflyphotography

Reduced - 8' Steffen 3/4 wt Glass, Rare/Desirable 7-1/2' 5wt Phillipson Glass

I'm addicted to bamboo and even though these two glass rods can outcast most of my bamboo, I'm offering both for sale. 8' Steffen 3/4 weight, 3 piece. This is a new custom build, never fished. I did some work for Shane Gray and he paid me with the blank. I lawn cast it once and was deeply...
  3. @Dryflyphotography

Another Winter Project - Phillipson 7-1/2' 5 wt "MF76L" aka "Two-Toned Casting Machine"

Here's another glass project I finished this winter. About five years ago I bought a beat up Phillipson 7-1/2' MF76L at a local antiques store. When I tried casting it I was very pleasantly surprised. It's old fashioned, 1960's glass, but it loved a 5 weight rather than the typical 6 for the...
  4. @Dryflyphotography

Winter Project - Steffen 8' 3/4 glass rod

This winter I finished a project that had its origins a year ago when I was asked by Shane Gray to shoot a bunch of his rods to see if he might want to use my photos for his website. We gave it a big effort over a couple weeks of solid effort, but never quite hit what he envisioned. Even so...
  5. @Dryflyphotography

Rare Rod Find: 1925-1927 Edwards trade rod

Hey local gang, I love the early, rare bamboo rods and am particularly fond of Edwards made rods. EW Edwards was one of the four apprentices who worked for Leonard and who then went on to become some of the biggest bamboo rod pioneers in the history of the genre. EW also spent time trying his...
  6. @Dryflyphotography

Jeff Pope rod - good deal

For anyone looking for a good looking, nice fishing modern bamboo at an affordable price, I'd recommend checking out a for sale listing on the Classic Rod Forum for a Jeff Pope rod. He does very nice work. He was the one who made the ferruled blank I used to build out my favorite fishing rod...
  7. @Dryflyphotography

Bobber fishing rod? What'cha using?

This is probably a "Gear" thread, but the folks I want to ask are more likely hanging out here in "Lakes" so here's my question... For those hard core bobber fishermen (boxes full of a myriad of secret chironomid recipes in every size from #20 to #8, long leaders, anchors on their floating...
  8. @Dryflyphotography

Scientific Anglers System 2 7/8 - Will it hold up to Belize Bonefishing?

Planning a trip to Belize for mainly for bonefish, baby tarpon, snook (if I hook a permit or 100 lb tarpon I'll just hope for the best). I have a few Scientific Anglers System 2 fly reels, most in size 78 and one in size 89. Has anyone used these for tropical salt flats fishing? Would they...
  9. @Dryflyphotography

Recommendations please - first time tropical saltwater, with adult family

Seeking recommendations for a trip to a tropical saltwater fly fishing destination, targeting April-May 2024. Myself, wife, son and his wife, daughter and her husband. Two good casters, one newbie, but only PNW freshwater experience. Would love a place where my wife, daughter and...
  10. @Dryflyphotography

Black & White Still Life

A thread was started on the Classic Rod Forum to post black & white photos so I dug out one of my classic still life images, converted it to B&W and added a few tweaks to the shading. A fun little project during our dark, gray December weather. '][/URL]
  11. @Dryflyphotography

A couple Phillipsons chasing bulls

Nice to get out and put the 9' Phillipsons to work chasing bulls. Dave's is the Phillipson Pacemaker, mine is the Powr Pakt (Bill Phillipson had run out of "e"s in his vowels inventory when he named mine). The first photo shows the infamous Phillipson resorcinol glue lines, considered tough as...
  12. @Dryflyphotography

Screaming Good (early) Black Friday deals

Great Black Friday Sale - Shane Gray of Graywolf Rods apparently has set up a rod building components business called Rodmaker 24/7 using blanks and components sourced from overseas and he posted in the Classic Rod Forum classifieds today a sale he's running right now including all blanks only...
  13. @Dryflyphotography

Peter McVey

I met Peter McVey once, way back in the late 1990s, at his Corbett Lake Lodge. That was before I ever thought I'd own a bamboo rod, let alone a half dozen or more. Peter showed me one of the rods he had built. I thought it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen, a treasure to dream about...
  14. @Dryflyphotography

Goodwin Granger Favorite 8642 on the Met

I posted a long winded essay on my visit to Central Oregon on the Trips forum, but thought I'd repost a pic I got of my Goodwin Granger Favorite 8642 (8-1/2' five weight). The fishing with small dries was a perfect match for this rod and I even managed a few fish so now I can look at it and...
  15. @Dryflyphotography

Fresh Hops Season - Central Oregon

Central Oregon fishing always seems to kick my butt yet gives me just enough to keep me fascinated and sad to leave. This visit was during Fresh Hop season, and since Bend has more breweries per capita than any other place around, their fresh hop offerings were seriously good. Fresh Hop Season...
  16. @Dryflyphotography

Alec Jackson Spey Hooks - Partridge of Redditch?

I'm not a spey fisher nor spey fly tier, but I found a package of Alec Jackson black spey hooks, size 1-1/2, in my fly tying boxes today. They are somewhat vintage, made by Patridge of Redditch. Do spey fly tiers look for these old Partridge hooks or are they no different or better than the...
  17. @Dryflyphotography

@katehall_art

For everyone who enjoys fine art with the subject of classic sporting (bird dogs are a long time favorite of hers) you need to check out her first Classic Fly Fishing gear work now being created by the talented Kate Hall. She has a Facebook page (Kate Hall) as well as Instagram: @katehall_art...
  18. @Dryflyphotography

Letcher Lambuth's Spiraled Cane rod?

A gentleman on the Facebook group "Bamboo Fly Rod Forum" posted today about reading Roderick Haig-Brown's "Fisherman's Spring" and the chapter titled "The New Rod" about a spiraled cane rod made by Letcher Lambuth who I believe was a native Washingtonian. I seemed to recall being told by...
  19. @Dryflyphotography

Does this qualify for this section of our forum?

Bless her heart, my dear wife was at an old antiques store in Sisters OR and spotted this rod and reel combo in the corner. $40 (even sales tax free, thank you Oregon) and it found a new home with me. I fished it on the Crooked River this week where it fished great. The rod is a very early...
  20. @Dryflyphotography

Fly reels, fly line - prices reduced

Please help me fund a new purchase! These are all offered with shipping within the continental US and PayPal. Local cash sales in Bothell / Mill Creek will get a discount...please ask and we will figure out what makes sense for both of us. IWANA "S" Handle Trout Reel with leather pouch...