Search results

1. @Dryflyphotography

Bamboo ?

I’d encourage you to try a couple more lines if you can, some bamboo rods can be picky about line weights and tapers as well. Although that rod was likely designed for close range casting that limited distance could also indicate that your initial try was either over, or under, lined. Could...
  2. @Dryflyphotography

What's your favorite dry or emerger Callibaetis pattern?

How long is your dropper below your dry?
  3. @Dryflyphotography

Reduced - 8' Steffen 3/4 wt Glass, Rare/Desirable 7-1/2' 5wt Phillipson Glass

Yes, its a nice casting rod. But that Phillipson is really close. I'd keep both but I can't part with my 8' 4 and 5 weight bamboo rods.
  4. @Dryflyphotography

The Steffen is sold. The Phillipson is still available, reduced to $150. Ron
  5. @Dryflyphotography

What's your favorite dry or emerger Callibaetis pattern?

One of my favorite hatches is the callibaetis on some of the PNW lakes I fish. I love it when the trout are rising to the hatching flies. I usually fish a parachute Adams size 14 or 16 but always wonder if there are even more effective flies I should tie and fish. What flies do you prefer?
  6. @Dryflyphotography

Bamboo Fling 2024

I can also make the 9th. Ron
  7. @Dryflyphotography

Sharpes in the desert

Great outing Dave. Remind me to tell you my story about the aborted “picnic” lunch my snake-phobic wife and I had there many years ago.
  8. @Dryflyphotography

Prices are now reduced on both rods. Ron
  9. @Dryflyphotography

I'm addicted to bamboo and even though these two glass rods can outcast most of my bamboo, I'm offering both for sale. 8' Steffen 3/4 weight, 3 piece. This is a new custom build, never fished. I did some work for Shane Gray and he paid me with the blank. I lawn cast it once and was deeply...
  10. @Dryflyphotography

Rescue, maybe…

Welcome to the slippery slope of 'boo!
  11. @Dryflyphotography

Grey Ghosts

Dave, I definitely came out on the better end of our trade, those are absolutely beautiful. My first ever streamer caught fish was a 16" lake run landlocked salmon that had run up one Fall Creek in Ithaca NY back in the early 80's. Huey Lewis was playing in my head and my Cortland fiberglass...
  12. @Dryflyphotography

Zig when they zag...

Ooooooooh!!!!! Yes! Congrats!!!!!!
  13. @Dryflyphotography

Rescue, maybe…

Mike, 406 is the one line that seems to work well on the most rods. I don’t know why that is but otherwise picky bamboo rods all seem to agree on those 406 lines.
  14. @Dryflyphotography

Rescue, maybe…

I’d guess 80-90% of the older Monty’s 8-1/2’ will be a six weight, maybe an even higher. But sometimes bamboo rods get picky even within a “line weight” with some wanting a more aggressive or more gentle taper, which is not a very technical way to say that. So once you find the right line...
  15. @Dryflyphotography

Youngs Pattern 1?

Agree! I did a line but when the weather was nice. After stripping it and applying the new finish I had it drapped over half the backyard drying in the sun for days. Darn tung oil took forever to dry!
  16. @Dryflyphotography

Rescue, maybe…

What Jerry said it right, but I have had success once doing everything from the butt end up and leaving the stripping guide intact. It is a bit tricky to do because of the taper of the cane, but it might work. First, I assume there is a winding check snug against the upper end of the cork...
  17. @Dryflyphotography

More Acquisitions: Two Phillipson Rods and a Silk Line

As a recent retiree, I do confess that spending your savings rather than a paycheck on living expenses is a constraint on a fly rod collecting habit.
  18. @Dryflyphotography

More Acquisitions: Two Phillipson Rods and a Silk Line

One of my very first bamboo fly rods was an 8-1/2' Phillipson Paragon, the one model that was below the Pacemaker in price. Even the Paragon was a good rod. That black and aluminum Pacemaker reel seat is one of my favorites. And as much as I thought I wanted a Paramount and Premier in the...
  19. @Dryflyphotography

Old Faithful Rod Company -Challenger Fly Rod (W&M Granger)

I agree, it's a fantastic taper. Congrats on finding one!
  20. @Dryflyphotography

Where to buy 3-Piece Rod Tube

Congrats on finding a bargain 8040. A wonderful fishing taper.