Search results

1. K

Kayak access to Lenore and Nunally

Maybe not kosher to ask, but wondering if a Hobie kayak with its wheels can reach the lakes from the parking lots. I’d like to camp overnight just to see these lakes for myself, but don’t want to bring the kayak if not worth it (when they’re open). Thanks, Mark
  2. K

One rod for both tight line nymphing AND streamers

Let me preface that I have never tried euro nymphing....but I'm curious and really don't like using indicators unless I really have to. I'm willing to not have the 'perfect' rod for either method, but would at least like it to be a pretty decent compromise. From what I gather based on...
  3. K

Substitute for size 22 hackle

Tied up some 22 midges using ostrich with a supporting layer of peacock. Think it will work? I’d like to not have to by 22 hackle if possible. Thanks, Mark
  4. K

Patterns for early December Fall and Crooked

Maybe a coup!e days to hit these two. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mark
  5. K

NFR Apple satellite SOS....is it for real?

I'm going to finally have to ditch my old iphone 7 for a new model. Has anyone had experience or have any thoughts on whether the Apple satellite SOS feature is really useful for us as flyfisher people? I do spend quite a bit of time out of cell coverage. Currently have a Garmen Inreach...but...
  6. K

Non-Fly River chum techniques?

A buddy and I hit a local river in a first attempt to hook into some chum. We used various green, black, pink etc flies...most with trailing hooks. We were swinging using doublehand rods....7wts. I had no idea what to do so basically fished the same way I would for steelhead. I first fished...
  7. K

Flies for ‘whipping’

Going to give these a try on some Maui beaches with a whipping set up. Snagging bottom is a constant problem so I’m hoping these will do better than an unprotected hook with a grub on it. Any other ideas are appreciated! I’m also trying out the ziplock bags as a fly box alternative since I’ve...
  8. K

How do you label a rod build?

I just finished wrapping a Thomas and Thomas 9wt Sextant blank. I'm happy with the build and hopefully will be coaxing some permit one day with it. What I'm wondering is how do I label it on the rod? I'm pretty sure Thomas and Thomas doesn't want to take credit for my build... : ), but I feel...
  9. K

Spokane weekend late July

I'll be in Spokane to help my daughter with an art fair and hopefully will get a couple hours to hit a stream. It sounds like the Spokane river is my best bet for access. I have learned to enjoy not being a fish 'catcher'... : ). I do like not being surrounded by a hundred people with rafts...
  10. K

Are Permit really that tough to catch??

Or is it just fewer opportunities.... Newbie flats fishing question. I've only managed to get to the tropics twice now and gone after permit a total of three mornings or about 12 hours. After they stopped showing themselves in the expected areas, we started targeting bonefish, tarpon, and...
  11. K

Ascension Bay

Please excuse the possible mix mash of photos.....I never have been good at this, but gotta start someplace : ). Three buddies and I took a trip down to Ascension Bay last week. This is only my second tropical destination for fly fishing and was really looking forward to testing what I had or...
  12. K

Deer hair popper for tropical fish?

I'd like to try and tie a couple poppers with deer hair for a trip to Ascension Bay. Maybe for baby tarpon and anything else after a surface fly. I've tied up a few of the standard foam poppers. Seems like a streamlined bass popper might do the trick. Any further insight would be appreciated...
  13. K

7’2” 3pc 3/4 wt ‘Pack rod’

Finally got a chance to try it out for an hour and a half this afternoon. Caught too many stockers to count, but they were all fun. A couple even earned the reel. Used a DT 3wt line and a halfback nymph. These small fish are a blast with a light bamboo rod. You can really feel the weight...
  14. K

Preventing theft while camping, is it a big issue?

I have not really camped since the 80's, and back then, theft wasn't as prevalent and I really didn't have anything worth stealing. As I near retirement, I am envious of trip reports where overnight camping is involved. I have not decided whether a camper, trailer, or just pitching a tent is...
  15. K

How important is the cork?

I have to admit that the last thing I look at when admiring a rod build is the quality of the cork. The thread wraps, finish and a sharp crispness on the hexes of the blank, the reel seat insert meshing with the hardware....those all make more of an impression on me. I do like grips that are...
  16. K

Taper for fishing small streamers and nymphs from a boat

I'm in the planning stages for a rod to use for nymphing and small streamers, maybe size 10-14 from a boat. Probably at least 8 feet I'm guessing. Probably also a three piece due to the length. Is a two piece better casting though? I've also heard arguments that a three piece casts better...
  17. K

7'6" 4 wt 2 piece 2 tips

Building for a friend to use on the Yak. Not sure about the taper yet. One tip section ready for heat treating. Still have some node straightening and rough planing on the other sections... My ankle is sore, so no fishing for a little while.
  18. K

Grip build question

I'm about ready to build out a Burkie 4114 blank, hopefully for some Montana fishing, maybe even some summer runs. Anyway, I'm playing with the idea of making the bottom grip out of a combo of wood and cork rings. I'm thinking the small amount of extra weight might even help balance the rod...
  19. K

Construction question

I’ve tied the rabbit so it rides up and placed a small piece of mallard flank to hide the suede underside and to ‘lift’ the rabbit strip. It seems to look good on the vise, but does anyone picture problems? Im going to tie one up using a little buck tail as the support for the rabbit next...
  20. K

Little Deschutse fly suggestions?

Gotta get out for a couple hours this weekend. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mark