Search results

1. C

Raising Chickens?

Anyone raising chickens? How about those gold-colored Ameraucanas? It was probably last year we gave our last hen out for adoption. For "reasons." Nonetheless, I do miss them for my own "reasons." Other than fresh eggs and the calming effect of seeing them wandering about, pecking...
  2. C

Dyed Pheasant Rump Patches. Supply Chain Ripple Effect.

After suffering a year of scarcity, dyed (especially golden/lemon yellow) pheasant rump patches are still tough to get. Folks have the same problem? All my patches are tapped out of #10 and #12 hook appropriate for Carey Specials. I went out today to check my luck and not just no luck, I...
  3. C

Synthetic Polar Bear Fur

Cool new textile that replicates thermal and optical qualities of polar bear fur. I didn’t post this science news in the Fly Tying sub forum for a couple of reasons. One, the textile is probably a good several years up the pipeline from your local fly shop, if at all. Two, tiers love...
  4. C

Rain!

With the week-long rain and much cooler temperatures coming to Western Washington, anyone planning on getting a jump on the fishing? In the rain?
  5. C

6-Cylinder Vehicle Camping Rigs?

Six years ago, I bought my Toyota Tacoma but quickly discovered its V-6 power limitations when it came to camping and my budget. These days, I’ve resigned myself to filling the bed and the space behind the seats with camping gear. To the gills. Really need to spring for a canopy. So, what...
  6. C

Green River

Anyone still fish the Green River these days? It’s open now, so I checked it out last week. Saw a few fish rising, but I only ended up extending my skunk streak that day.
  7. C

Puget Sound Fly Shop is Closing

I just saw this post today on YouTube: Everything on clearance.
  8. C

Bellingham

I’m heading to Bellingham tomorrow to visit some friends. Wondering if anyone has suggestions as to places to hit the salt up there.
  9. C

Lue Taylor Custom 10ft 6wt

I just want to thank Lue Taylor again for the 10’ 6wt I bought from him a couple of years ago. Initially, I had problems throwing line, due to the ones I had for my 9 footer were of standard weight, though my Rio Grande floater did cast well. That one has a heavier, more front-loaded head, so...
  10. C

Orvis Side Zipper Wading Boot Sole Failure

I have this pair of Orvis Side-zipper wading boots I bought maybe ten or so years ago, and the sole is separating from at the heel of the boot. This not a stitching failure but at the plastic attached to the boot and the sole welt. See picture below. I don’t think something as simple as Shoe...
  11. C

Yvon Chouinard Gives Away His Company, Patagonia.

For some, this might not come as a surprise. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/14/climate/patagonia-climate-philanthropy-chouinard.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20220914&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=cta&regi_id=30377643&segment_id=106297&user_id=6e4574b2e779524333e2864d12c48683 Might...
  12. C

Rattlesnake temps?

Been wanting to do some stillwater fishing, but temperatures have been way too hot most everywhere I’ve been to in the past. R-snake is spring fed, so I’ve been wondering what the water temperature has been like lately. Anyone been there recently?
  13. C

Lake Report

Last Friday, I decided to go solo at my favorite lake. It had been probably two weeks since the last time, and that day was pretty good. This time was better! Got in the water around 9:30. There were at least two others who beat me in. Given the success of the red-bead Carey Special (not an...
  14. C

Video: Japanese FF’ing Newbie.

This gal is such a pure-hearted newbie, but she also must have paid close attention to her instructors. Most of her casts were darn good, despite the tight quarters. Only a few snags. And such determination! Her first lost fish looked near soul crushing, but she stuck it out to the end and...
  15. C

Not the New Hooks but New Trout Imposing New Learning Curve

I posted in the Fly Tying forum a question about Firehole Hooks, thinking they might be the reason I couldn’t stay connected to trout beyond the first second or two after the strike. Well, was I wrong. After my first skunking at my favorite lake, back a few weeks ago, I tied up a batch of the...
  16. C

Fire Hole hooks

I know a lot of people here love Firehole hooks. Sharp like nothing else. Well, I recently tied up a couple of my favorite patterns with them. Unfortunately, I’ve been experiencing two issues with fishing them live. First, because they are as sharp as they are, they have a knack for...
  17. C

“Presentation” Discussion Forum?

I often find myself wondering about fly fishing “presentation” techniques. Yeah, all of you out there too. For sure. I mean, no matter how good the conditions or the fly you have on, without good presentation, you will not catch fish and especially trout. For that reason, it strikes me that...
  18. C

First Fish of the Year

I had hardly any opportunities to fish last year. Maybe once or twice sometime in August or September. Rattlesnake and Martha with fair to crappy results. Anyway, that it had been a while, this morning was a bit chaotic gathering my gear ahead of my fishing partner showing up at 8:30. You...