Search results

1. Guy Gregory

vices?

Why is your Nor-Vise overkill? Works great for me….
  2. Guy Gregory

Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge - but with fly rods...

I got an Edge Archetype 9' 4wt. last year, yeah it took a while to get, but it was worth it. Nice rod, great fit and finish, casts and fishes nicely. Good price point.
  3. Guy Gregory

More Acquisitions: Two Phillipson Rods and a Silk Line

One of the few memories I have of my old man is his description of his elation first casting a coated braded dacron line. He'd used silk for years, and the waxing, drying, stretching, etc. led he and his cronies to drop silk like a hot rock. I can't imagine a silk line living today from the...
  4. Guy Gregory

Vermont Info

My knowledge is all 40 years old and my favorite shops are long gone, but my memory is that any where you can access moving water there's fish to catch. Maybe some of the best blue-lining anywhere, but then I had some time and inclination then.
  5. Guy Gregory

UV fluorescent materials

At the NWExpo, I sat with a gentleman tying truly wonderful flies out of common, but not necessarily common materials. Fascinating. One of the things he showed me was a very fine white fiber that fluoresced brightly when using his uv light. He had an interesting way of acquiring that fiber which...
  6. Guy Gregory

Tying Soft Hackle Flies

Soft hackles, flymphs, wet flies without wings, sunken dries....Love 'em. I won a box of wonderful ties in a raffle at nwexpo this last weekend, and was lucky enough to sit down with the tyer William Lovelace, aka Roadkill on flymphforum.com. These are a great genre of flys, easy to tie, comfy...
  7. Guy Gregory

NW Fly Tyer & Fly Fishing Expo - March 8-9 in Albany, OR - We will be there!

It was well worth the drive for me, great show. I disavow responsibility for the demise of the monitor, but I was a witness in close proximity. Thanks.
  8. Guy Gregory

NW Fly Tyer & Fly Fishing Expo - March 8-9 in Albany, OR - We will be there!

I’ll be there from the Far East….I look forward to meeting you face to face.
  9. Guy Gregory

FS Ives's Crusin Casa-any interest in this?

This is an actual functional outfit, far superior to any so-called "overlander" rig available today. And at this price, it's a freakin' steal. Buy it, move in, and go wherever you want in safety, style, and comfort. Turn-key.
  10. Guy Gregory

Personal Protection

And, more importantly, their friends. You can teach your kids firearm safety. You'd rather not rely on your kids' friends to be trained as well. Pepper spray, that non-lethal kimber thing, a baseball bat, a small collapsable baton, all these things can neutralize a threat from 4 or two legged...
  11. Guy Gregory

The good boat deal thread

Illegible boat numbers, or no boat number, almost always indicates a scam. Almost got me a couple years ago. But not quite.
  12. Guy Gregory

Rooftop Tents

I really can’t think of a piece of kit less useful than a rooftop tent. Advantage: light. Disadvantage: needs an f’in ladder for ingress and egress. No stakes to hold it down or to anchor a rainfly in weather. No insulation. Did I mention you need a ladder to load and unload your stuff?
  13. Guy Gregory

Rooftop Tents

And his wife's on the ladder in heels! She ain't much taller than that Morris...
  14. Guy Gregory

Book recommendations?

Since eventually fly fishing has become for me as much about place as fish, if you're interested in the pacific northwest, I recommend anything by Jack Nisbet. Especially Sources of the River. It is I beleive the definitive book about explorer David Thompson and the exploration of the Columbia...
  15. Guy Gregory

Anybody fishing furled leaders ?

Yes I do. Love'em. They turn over flies nicely either for sinkers or dry lines. I gotta find a new source now that Bjorn is out of business. I'll miss him.
  16. Guy Gregory

Five things I learned today from this "truck fell through the ice" article...

This is not a good year for ice fishing. For those years that are, it's a blast. Around here, not often, but when it is reasonably safe (Ice >4" thick) it can be a lot of fun. In my old New England days, we'd go out on the first nice days of spring, sit on the breakwater and drink whisky...
  17. Guy Gregory

An alternative/additional weather news option that isn't Cliff Mass - PNW Weather Watch

Thanks! Cliff doesn’t deal with east of the Cascades much, so this will be nice.
  18. Guy Gregory

Lady Scarlett Pheasant Spey, a memorial fly.

No more fitting tribute for a bird dog. I tie today with quail, duck, goose, partridge, and pheasant retrieved by my dogs over the years. As I get older I find the memories overwhelm me at times when I tie one on. Dugan helps me through those times. For pheasant feathers and some dog hair, I'd...
  19. Guy Gregory

Run Etiquette

I entered a spot on the Henry's Fork one day, about 200 yards below another angler upstream, and I began stepping down what remained of the run. The angler above got out about where I'd put in, actually it was the heat of the day now and everyone was pulling out. I realized I'd low-holed that...
  20. Guy Gregory

Hope your day was better.

Tough road this time of year. Glad you’re ok.